Completing The Vfkr

unbalanced

• Member Contributer

Hard to believe it’s been 2 years since I relocated to New England, and the 1000R has been languishing in pieces ever since… Now I finally am making time to get into it. I could not find my original post from the fall of ’09, so here is a quick recap:

post-16289-0-55117100-1408066119.jpg

I found my very well used 1985 VFKR for $800; 32K miles, engine checked out good but the rest needed lots of help. The first several years of mods included a ’91 FZR1000 front end, CBR600 rear wheel, VFR800 rear shock, Hindle 4-1 exhaust, Yoshimura TRS muffler, CBR900 tail and seat, CBR600 tank, ’86 dual headlight. I put around 2000 miles in this ‘prototype’ condition

post-16289-0-98678300-1408066220.jpg

Now it’s time to finish it up, and hopefully make the Rice-o-rama in September!

I found a $500 parts bike a couple of years ago and discovered it had Dymag rims! So flash forward to this weekend…

I started with fitting the Dymag rear wheel. It fits well, I used a 9mm offset front sprocket (thanks to the work vfrcapn) and modified the clutch master cylinder cover by machining out the interference. I’m not crazy about having this open the master cylinder but it will do for now. I am using the stock rear caliper and linkage with a 2mm spacer on the brake side and 7mm on the sprocket side. The rim was very rough, with several coats of barn brushed paint… I have the front and rear rims off and at the powder coater and should get them refitted by the weekend.

post-16289-0-86763200-1408066272.jpg

post-16289-0-86498900-1408066290.jpg

I have a LONG way to go and a short time to get there, stay tuned :smile2:

• Member Contributer

I have a LONG way to go and a short time to get there, stay tuned :smile2:

I will. Nice bike you have there. I'm liking the mods you've done. Good find on those wheels too :wink:

ian

• Member Contributer

Good to see you back at it.

Btw, what size is that rear sprocket?

Its a 44 tooth, but looks big. I'll sort out the gearing after shes put back together.

• Member Contributer

While waiting on the rims to get back from powder coating I made some progress. I have the front sub-frame back on and the front wiring ready to go.

post-16289-0-75838600-1409020656.jpg

Then I needed to secure the 900rr tail. I had a couple of cheesy supports earlier just to see how I would like it, so now I bent up some steel in a U shape and bolted it to the frame. The tail ‘tray’ is bolted to that and I relocated the new Ballistic battery up there. It rests on some hard durometer rubber on the rear cross frame and I have some protective edging coming from McMaster-carr and a HD strap to keep it in place. The R/R will bolt to the right side of the U bracket, and the battery cables and CPU harness will come up the left. I was going to make my own battery cables, but I found a place that custom makes them (Bestboatwire.com) and now I’m waiting on 6 AWG cables as well…

post-16289-0-67230300-1409020803.jpg

I also made some progress on the rear sets, a few years back I found a cheap set of Tarozzi that I couldn’t pass up so I started to clean them up. They both had glued sandpaper on the foot pegs, so Jim at FastfromthePast.com suggested going with a set of rubbers to pull over the top. The left side turned out pretty well.

post-16289-0-08953400-1409020979.jpg

I noticed the right side has the linkage mounted above the peg and it looks really bad to me, so I shortened the brake arm about 15mm and now it can operate below without hitting the pipe. I have to make pegs for both the shifter and brake still but that shouldn't take long

post-16289-0-40928100-1409021114.jpg

post-16289-0-39280100-1409021138.jpg

Still a mountain of things to do, so back at it...

• Member Contributer

I'm seeing lots of nice touches. You're definitely making it your own. Keep at it.

• Member Contributer

Nice work. Love the 86 VF1kR

edit: I see your tag says 85..anyway I love the double headlight 86 front and the top triple...

• Member Contributer

I was able to spend most of Sunday in the garage, got the wheels mounted and balanced, made brackets to mount a YZF750 front fender, finished mounting the battery and electronics…

post-16289-0-38738600-1409536037.jpg

post-16289-0-62397500-1409536086.jpg

The wheels came out well, even with all the corrosion on the magnesium rear Dymag. I agonized over the white, but I like it!

post-16289-0-78056900-1409536239.jpg

I was feeling pretty optimistic until the carbs went in, and gas flooded out from the front left carb! It looks like the ‘T’ tubes in between the carbs have let go, now I’ve got to find a set quick! Anyone have a good source or suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Used to be a seller on ebay with alloy T tubes for the V4 carbs...I haven't looked in a while.

Put a good coat of armor all wheel wax on the white and clean-ups wont have you rethinking the color choice too often. White wheels look best on R/W/B Hondas.

• Member Contributer

nice job on the wiring on the battery etc in your undertail, more detailed pics please

• Member Contributer

Upon closer inspection it looks like the o-rings between the T tubes are the culprit. I tried Bike bandit, Ron Ayers, etc but non one has stock, I paid through the nose to get 2 sent emergency overnight but I would like 2 more sets. Anyone have a good source?

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kel, I left Billy a message. I am headed to Philly tomorrow for work and I can swing by his place if he is around... Worst case I should have enough to get the side that was leaking done, I just hate doing two carbs and not the others!

nice job on the wiring on the battery etc in your undertail, more detailed pics please

Here are a few more, forgive the poor photography...

post-16289-0-06607000-1409711643.jpg

post-16289-0-74171500-1409711682.jpg

• Member Contributer

After a late night, the carbs are back in (not leaking) and then fired it up. Today I was able to get it all fitted together to make sure it was going to work together…

post-16289-0-38053800-1409966134.jpg

I put a dozen miles on her - the carbs are not sync’d but the rest worked pretty well together! So I will be at Rice o Rama Sunday, but she won’t be in paint…

post-16289-0-00216900-1409966677.jpg

I always liked the non-US paint scheme so it will be a ‘tribute’ to those colors, eventually. I will try and put some shake down miles on her tomorrow and then clean it! I posted some pics in my gallery in case anyone is interested in more.

• Member Contributer

Impressive work, well done.

Don't take this the wrong way- it's all in the eye of the beholder and it's your vision- but I don't think the tail works because a) it makes the back look big (the bike equivalent of "do these jeans make my ass look big") and b) one of the things that makes the R a styling tour de force is the line slope on the side between the front and the back (even broken by the mesh between them) that the blue stripe provides, as well as the wide angle inverted V of the tailpiece with all of it hugging the frame. It's a very distinctive and unique look that conveys speed and style.

It looks like the gas tank has you closer to the bars. Is that the case? Always a good thing with the R lol.

Again, well done!

Walter

Archived