Current Value Of Vf1000R

Guest VF1000R85

Guest VF1000R85

Hi

Curious as to what people think that VF1000R's are currently worth. I sold a non stock one with higher mileage, a Rothmans paint job and a Hindle pipe for around $2000 about a year ago and I thought that was cheap. It was running with papers. I still had 2 more, both stock. One without papers that looks great but I haven't fired it up. The other, running like a swiss watch. I advertised both for $5000 many months ago and they did not sell yet. I would not be making money at that price. What are they worth ? Just curious At this point I am almost ready to put the running one back on the road.

Maybe it's me, but demand for these seems less than I would have thought

• Member Contributer

There has been one here in my town for sale on and off for the past year listed in the low $3000 range. It ran fine and looked decent, but the paint was original and starting to show its age. The seller didn't get many bites and I think he still has it. I can understand you wanting to recoup your investment on the ones you have, but I don't see them going for $5000 unless they're absolutely pristine. Over on the CB1100F site, this has been discussed (several F'ers own or have owned them) and I think the general concensus was that they were valued in the $3K-$4k range if they were in great overall condition.

• Member Contributer

They're regularly advertised over here for around AU$5-6K. As a rule, our bikes generally have higher mileage than those state-side.

cheers

ian

Issue is that I would also buy them for $3k-$4k

Time to put the insurance on and ride it later this year if that is the case

It seems that they were selling for more 5 or 6 years ago than they are now.

• Member Contributer

There's been a definite downturn in the selling price of a lot of these special interest bikes. Same goes for the DOHC F's. eBay seems to reflect inflated prices at times, then at others not so bad. All of my bikes are riders and I bought them to enjoy, not to sell. When the time comes to sell them (if I have to) hopefully the values will be fair and I'll make a few bucks. Luckily they've all been good deals and I did all of the work myself, except for bodywork painting.

RZ500 and RG500 seem to fetch a lot still I had thought VF1000R might but maybe they all will if you keep them long enough.

Unless you have and RC30, RC45 or NR750 the old Hondas and most Japanese bike in general, just do not hold their values. Even if The VFs and VFRs were beautifully engineered bikes that will put most of the the other bikes sold in their time to shame, Most used bike buyers only see skin deep and look at these bikes as just old, second hand Japanese rides....

• 1 month later...

Just as an indicator, a VF1000R sold on New Zealand Trademe (like Ebay) for $NZ5300 last week. It was an 1987, from a collection, very good but not pristine condition (as best as I could tell). Had 40kms on clock. Our dollar only worth 4/5 of a $US. That compares to the earlier CB1100R where someone is asking $12000.

post-23773-0-30098200-1410175340.jpg

• Member Contributer

Issue is that I would also buy them for $3k-$4k

Time to put the insurance on and ride it later this year if that is the case

It seems that they were selling for more 5 or 6 years ago than they are now.

That explains why you are loosing money trying to flip them. You make your money on the purchase of anything (house, car bike, etc...) and you are paying retail asking for 15-30% above retail and getting no takers.

If you have bike with a racing pedigree or extremely rare provenance (as the 2 stroke 4 cylinders you mentioned) you can afford to pay retail and wait a couple decades for the rising tide to lift all ships and bring your investment up.

I may purchase an '86 VF1000R one day as I love the dual headlight and the magnesium looking top triple clamp....along with the GDC's.

There has been one here in my town for sale on and off for the past year listed in the low $3000 range. It ran fine and looked decent, but the paint was original and starting to show its age. The seller didn't get many bites and I think he still has it. I can understand you wanting to recoup your investment on the ones you have, but I don't see them going for $5000 unless they're absolutely pristine. Over on the CB1100F site, this has been discussed (several F'ers own or have owned them) and I think the general concensus was that they were valued in the $3K-$4k range if they were in great overall condition.

• Member Contributer

The bike market is a fickle beast for sure and, just like the stock market, its often difficult to "time" it. WRT Japanese bikes, there always seems to be a decent market for near perfect original bikes with enough mileage to have been used somewhat regularly, but average 30 year old VF-F and VF-R bikes have been and will probably remain in the $1,500-4,000 range for probably some time. One aspect of this that I can't fully explain is that the R is clearly a bike that "presents" spectacularly- evident build quality, killer looks, and trick componentry eye candy; pure Honda at its manufacturing best: and things that should be appreciated by collectors. Granted, they have have odd ergos, are kind of handling pigs, and heavy (yes, I owned one), and have limited racing provenance.

The CB "F" bikes are somewhat bucking this trend, as their prices for comparable condition bikes seem higher than the VFs and have been so for a while (seems to me anyway). The same was/is true for some of the Japanes 70's bikes. Kawasaki' Mach 1/2 prices exploded a few years ago: Suzuki GT models are starting to escalate, as are Z1/KZ, and Suzuki GS.

But as I said-- the market is fickle and you can't predict what will be be the next "darling". So buy what you like, enjoy it, and if you can recoup or better your investment eventually consider it a bonus.

Walter

In Australia, a running VF1000R in reasonable condition will fetch anywhere from $5.5K to $8K depending on the condition. They rarely become available and are snapped up quickly when they do.

Archived