So It Begins

Have had the 95 for four days. Have started it maybe 6-7 times with no issue. After changing the oil (reusing the crush washer) there was a small leak coming from the drain bolt so i replaced it with a magnetic bolt and new crush washer today. Went to fire it up and nothing but some clicking. Dash lights looked normal before I tried to start it. Tried to bump start it a few times but no luck. I would like to preface this by saying I'm mildly retarded when it comes to electrical systems. Do I test the battery first or replace the R/R? I placed it on a trickle charger and will give it another shot in a few hours.

Thanks,

Marty

• Member Contributer

Did you check the engine kill switch? You'd be surprised how often this trips people up.

FLip the kill switch a half dozen times back and forth. Then try it again. This sometimes does a bit of a "Self cleaning" on the contacts. I'm preaching about an issue which I just discovered my 02 has. Need to take the switch apart and clean it properly.

• Member Contributer

Measure before forking out cash

If after having charged the battery sge fures up, take out the battery to a garage and have it load tested.

If she checks out, get a voltmeter, affix the probes to the battery (fitted to the bike again) and tell us what you measure with ignition on, warm engine idling and at 5000rpm

My rr lasted some 50k miles.

Congrats on yiur vfr, it is the bestest of them all :-)

• Member Contributer

I usually try to jump start the bike from a car battery (with car engine not running!) to determine if it's a battery issue. If it starts, get a new battery or charge it and get it load tested. If not, then there's another electrical issue.

I've found that most problems can be solved or require a new battery even if other components are involved.

My 95 has had:

4 batteries - 6 years (80K km), 6 years (55K km), 2 years (15K km), 4 years (17K km) and counting

3 r/r - changed with each battery except 3rd one

1 stator - oem

But I only installed a voltmeter with the most recent battery & r/r replacement last year. Hopefully I will have an early warning before it fails.

The battery terminals seemed snug but I loosened em up and re tightened. Bike caught once then clicked once then fired up. Went for a short ride and then started it a few times. Seems good for now. Will get the battery tested after I get plates on it tomorrow. I noticed that the rear brake pedal isn't lighting the brake light up but the front lever is. Fuse?? Thanks

• Member Contributer

Hello Solo,

top of the screen there is a box called downloads; you will find the 90-97 workshop manual there. A right riveting read!! :goofy:

this will help you for sure

• Member Contributer

Hey Solo,

On a motorcycle, the battery is the weak link in the electrical system. You have to remember that the battery in a m/c is so small compared to a car, it really has no reserve capacity past a few start ups with short trips. Your bike only recharges the battery at somewhere over 2-3000 rpm, and only if the bike runs at that speed for 20 miles or so, depending on how discharged the battery was. If you ride 2 miles and park it, if you leave the lights on while you put on or take off your gear, if you start it up to "listen to it run", or sit at lots of stop lights, your battery is discharging very quickly. It's not like a car. You didn't mention the age of the battery or the bikes history, but if it is old, as in 3-5 years, it may be worn out from not being recharged regularly. If it is old, replace it. Should clear up a lot of problems and not leave you stranded somewhere.

If you do only do short, around town rides, with multiple start ups, plug in your trickle when you get home. If you do that, a new battery should last 5-6 years, easy. If not, it's toast in a year or two, and probably puts too much strain on the r/r and stator, assuming there are not other problems with wiring and accessories. If a bike battery becomes completely discharged it will deteriorate very quickly and shorten the life drastically. Another thing that reduces the life of the battery is using a car battery to jump it. Way too much amperage, and it will also damage the other components in the system.

Over the years I have found it is much less expensive in time and money to just buy a good battery and keep it charged. Just my opinion after a few decades of maintaining my own bikes. :smile2: (This info is in all the owners manuals also, btw...)

Hope that helps you.

Ded

Archived