Greetings All

PSJ

Just wanted to say "Hi!".

New guy; Seattle, WA. Just made a deal for a 1986 VF500; 14,000 miles, all stock, only minor blemishes, runs well. Should be picking it up within a week or so.

I'm 53; married, one child age 12. A 1986 Suzuki GS550ES was my first "new" vehicle, purchased off the showroom floor in 1988. Held on to it for about 10 years; sold it to a friend; one of my older brothers ended up with it; and is refurbishing it. Haven't had a bike since I sold the GS, so wanted something of a similar performance envelope and age so we can go riding together. Should be fun!

My plan is to pick it up, change the fluids, maybe replace the tires and brake lines, and have a few gentle rides this summer. Then, after the riding season is largely over, I'll investigate other modest upgrades like suspension, etc. My approach is to keep the bike generally stock, as unmolested versions seems to be fairly rare.

I've started reading the forums and various other sites for info; and have found an electronic copy of the factory service manual. I understand that parts availability is spotty; I have a couple MG's (one soon to be sold) and an Austin-Healey 100, so I'm familiar with that issue. I like to do my own work, but am definitely open to paying when my knowledge, skill, or tooling dictates.

Look forward to corresponding with folks, and learning from the community!

Phil

post-30474-0-19160100-1401859736.jpg

Guest Recalcitrance

Welcome aboard! You're going to be in no shortage of help here. Looking forward to future build threads and photos.

• Member Contributer

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum of Honda V4 things. Wow! Nice find. Looks like an unmolested, stone stock, low mileage. garage kept '86. I have an '85 that is a left over back-up bike from my racing days. Yours is beautiful, mine, not so much. It's about 5th on the project list right now. Hasn't run for a few years, and not as pretty as your example, but they are great little bikes. You will probably find some good upgrade ideas on this site, like wheels, tires, and suspension. I would recommend a good shock for the rear and a front fork rebuild. The stock parts were marginal, at best, and definitely need replacement by now. Good luck with the project and return to riding. Keep us posted. I'll let you know if I find anything that might help you. :fing02:

Kevin

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

Wow that picture looks like it is from 1986 too! all yellow from age! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Indeed, welcome. :beer:

Nice looking bike, best of luck with her.

• Member Contributer

Nice. Welcome to the asylum. There is a VFRD meet-up in your area this coming July. Check PNW.

Archived