I had to bite the bullet and just go ahead and get them powdercoated. There's a two week turnaround as they're quite busy at the moment. Went for "sports silver" which pretty much matches the frame. It's gonna cost way too much...

It's not an easy job... having stripped one set of VFR wheels I know I'll never do another!

After doing my last VFR (it was a Granite Blue Metallic with white rims), I'd gladly do it again. It looked really good, and it was far easier to keep them free of chain spooge and road spooge and other random spooge than the paint was. The silver painted rims on my current VFR are OK-ish, but if they misbehave at all I'm heading off to the hardware store to buy some stripper....

You're a masochist :) OK, if you must, the stripper to get is the POR15 brand. I just did a Cannondale mountainbike with it, one of the older US-built frames, they have seriously tough paint and the POR15 took it off like nobodies business. It's also one of the few paint strippers rated to not etch aluminium.

Because I'm lazy I employed a pressure washer to blast most of the paint off after the stripper had done its work, that worked pretty well. Let the workspace (driveway) dry out, then vaccuum all the paint flakes up.

The best stuff apparently is what is used in the aero industry. Planes are repainted regularly (shabby paint increases drag), and have lots of alloy bodywork, so their stuff has to be good.

10680601656_cd50ccd780.jpg10797393483_c8aa961f1d.jpg

The best stuff apparently is what is used in the aero industry. Planes are repainted regularly (shabby paint increases drag), and have lots of alloy bodywork, so their stuff has to be good.

Yes, but it's also rather nasty, so they do their job wearing full hazmat gear.

• Member Contributer

Yes, but it's also rather nasty, so they do their job wearing full hazmat gear.

Lots of fresh air and rubber gloves but the stuff does work.

• 4 weeks later...

"Sports Silver" is what the powdercoating place called it. I got them done by sodablast.ie who are nearby to me.

Oh and the bike is one of the rare green VFRs. It was a real OEM colour, just a rare one. Not sure of the actual name of it but it is close to Japanese Racing Green.

fabio222, on 30 Jun 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:fabio222, on 30 Jun 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

Right lads and lassies this is what happened...

IMG_20140629_181959.jpg

IMG_20140625_192815.jpg

IMG_20140625_192750.jpg

I hope ye like them! I think it makes the bike look a lot "lighter" and younger.

SWEET!!

but you may want to crop the red, what is that?

That is a Toyota Avensis, very popular car over here. Especially among taxi drivers. They're reliable but boring old things. I left it in the picture because on one side you've a piece of boring Japanese metal and on the other you've a piece of Japanese metal engineered to be the best in the world at its time :D

Not to mention the selfish idiot who parked there with the Avensis, blocking people from seeing the mountain from the car park which had plenty of room in it.

• Member Contributer

Wheels look great! And I have to say... I like the 4th WAY better in green, than in red.

+1... I love the green... debating whether to go that color with my track bike

Wheels look great! And I have to say... I like the 4th WAY better in green, than in red.

What I'm really studying is your top case mount. :)

If you need more details of it just send me a PM or something and I can send you on more detailed photos.

It's a Givi mount, does a good job and isn't too distinctive.

Thanks to all for the comments on the green paint. It looks well in half-light funnily enough.

Archived