14.5V At Idle - Problem?

auggius

• Member Contributer

I am seeing 14.5V at idle, and throughout the rev range, with occasional sighting of 15V. At first I thought it was because I forgot to re-connect the headlights, but no it was still the same after. I installed a VFRness and new r/r from WMB last year. I ordered but did not install the stator.

Do you think that 14.5V at idle is too high and a possible sign that the stator may be on its way out?

• Member Contributer

14.5 at idle is OK, but you really don't want to see it breach 15 for extended periods of time, though. If it's a MOSFET variety, that would account for the higher than stock voltage. If it hovers at 14.7-15 most of the time, that's within acceptable ranges. Anything higher, though...

I don't think its a sign of the stator going out, but possibly the R/R's inability to regulate it's output (if the voltage you are seeing is randomly higher than it's been in the past).

Manual says <15.5V at 5000 rpm WITH HI BEAMS ON.

Although personally I'm with previous poster... more than 15 for extended periods may cook your battery.

Could be the R/R is no longer regulating so well.

• Member Contributer

It's a year old Ricks' r/r so I hope it's not going bad already, though I don't know if it's a mosfet type. Never saw it break 15V during the ride. It varied from 14.5V to 14.7V. I was just used to see it around 13.5V at idle and then rise to 14.5V at higher rpms. But if that's normal I'll just keep an eye on it.

• Member Contributer

It's a year old Ricks' r/r so I hope it's not going bad already, though I don't know if it's a mosfet type. Never saw it break 15V during the ride. It varied from 14.5V to 14.7V. I was just used to see it around 13.5V at idle and then rise to 14.5V at higher rpms. But if that's normal I'll just keep an eye on it.

If it is the newer rick's type, it is a MOSFET. Mine idles @ 14.5 as well, but usually never breaches 15v @ higher RPMs.

14.5@ idle is awesome.. most bikes don't even charge @ idle. :)

FYI: if you're using one of the new Lithium batteries, it states to SPECIFICALLY charge them between 14 & 15 volts. it won't charge below 14 volts & over 15 volts presents a dangerous overcharge condition.

I recently replaced my OEM 5th gen R/R with a MOSFET style from wiremybike.com & it charges 14.4-14.5 on the money from idle thru redlined RPM into a lithium ion battery. I'd keep an eye on it but don't sweat too much.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback all. I won't worry about it then. Just seemed odd because last year it was 13.5V at idle. I haven't done anything to the electrical system so thought maybe it was potential stator issue.

• Member Contributer

Me? Heck no. I only wash it once (maybe twice) a year with a garden hose and bucket of soapy water. Why do you ask?

Cause it is usually the cause of many electrical failures... connectors getting wet and then the gremlins start rearing their heads...

your modus operandi sounds safe in this regard.

• Member Contributer

then you have a grounding issue

Agreed. You should see 14+ at idle with a MOSFET regulator if everything is healthly.

stupid q...what is MOSFET vs a regular r/r? I've done some additional grounding wires like gll has stated and in the process of getting a vfrness. I'm at 14.0 at idle and 14.75 at 2500 and that is where it tops out at.

• Member Contributer

then you have a grounding issue

Hmmm, could be. I went on a long ride today to visit the folks and it would vary at idle from 12.8 to 13.5V. But at 5000+ rpm it was steady at 14.5V. Except for when I had my electric jacket at full heat, it was 13.5V at 5000+ but would eventually climb to 14.5V after 5 or 10 minutes. I guess I will check my grounds when I get back.

• Member Contributer

stupid q...what is MOSFET vs a regular r/r? I've done some additional grounding wires like gll has stated and in the process of getting a vfrness. I'm at 14.0 at idle and 14.75 at 2500 and that is where it tops out at.

Your voltages are awesome :)

MOSFET is the technology used in the regulator. The old stock units are "shunt" style, while MOSFET is the "new" variety. A lot less heat is generated (usually).

Archived