Fuelly - Lies & Statistics?

kyojitsu

So far my bike has been averaging consistently between 52-55mpg.

Year: 2009

Modifications: Nil

Weather: Warm to Hot & Dry

Riding: Roughly 50% highway, 50% mountains combined with the odd hard acceleration. (No city traffic)

Weight/Height: 6.2ft and 220 pounds - no luggage

Tires: 36psi/34psi

Fuel: 98% octaine fuel.

64mpg sounds pretty good, but if I'm getting 55mpg with the sort of riding I'm doing, I think it could be possible for someone half my size and weight, doing only gentle highway kms to get an extra 7 or 8 mpg out of what I have, especially if there's a different year out there that's slightly better on fuel than mine?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, my latest tank went to about 195mi for average to spirited riding, up from 165-175 Ihad been getting per tank since late October. It is not a gradual change but literally changes in one tank. This seems to be the normal summer mileage again, and I have heard that there is a different winter and summer fuel mix that we get in the northeast. Those numbers are pretty consistent for my bike.

Winter blend fuel is different from summer blend fuel, and when you get which has a bit to do with exactly where you are as well as how quickly your favorite station turns over its tanks. Winter blend fuel is more volatile, and will convert more easily to a gas vapor - great when the temps are cold, bad when the temps are hot.

The bad news is that making the gasoline more volatile, also reduces it overall efficiency at converting stored energy to actual energy. All gasoline-powered motors will operate less efficiently on winter blend gas.

You know, somewhere on the interwebs, people are probably having this discussion with how long their phone or laptop batteries last...

Riding from Moorpark to Fontana and back, I got about 190 miles till the flashing light. That was with 92 octane gas, 98% freeway, pretty easy on the gas and with some tail wind and some headwind. I switched to 87 octane on the next tank, basically the same riding conditions and destinations and I got less miles on my tank. It worked out to about a 2 MPG difference. I was at first thinking it didn't make enough of a difference to pay the extra money, but it may run better with the higher octane. I need to experiment more to verify. 92 got me 39 and 87 got me 37.

You know, somewhere on the interwebs, people are probably having this discussion with how long their phone or laptop batteries last...

Riding from Moorpark to Fontana and back, I got about 190 miles till the flashing light. That was with 92 octane gas, 98% freeway, pretty easy on the gas and with some tail wind and some headwind. I switched to 87 octane on the next tank, basically the same riding conditions and destinations and I got less miles on my tank. It worked out to about a 2 MPG difference. I was at first thinking it didn't make enough of a difference to pay the extra money, but it may run better with the higher octane. I need to experiment more to verify. 92 got me 39 and 87 got me 37.

Of course once you verify the better mileage, you would need to calculate the mileage by added cost for the higher octane. I have a feeling the extra cost isn't justified by the mileage improvement.

Of course once you verify the better mileage, you would need to calculate the mileage by added cost for the higher octane. I have a feeling the extra cost isn't justified by the mileage improvement.

More often than not, it is NOT justified. Assuming about $3.50-$3.75 per gallon of 87, and a $.40/gal "premium" to buy 91 instead, you'd have to get about 100 miles per tank on 87 and 115 on 91 for it to really be worth it.

The benefit that one MIGHT see (completely depending on the station you fill at) is that 91 -MAY- not have ethanol in it.

• Member Contributer

I'd think you'd want to track this over several tanks, possibly switching back and forth, to eliminate wind, temperature, terrain, cargo, and many other factors that can add up to a 2mpg difference. I track fuel for all my vehicles and the motorbike regularly varies by more than that even with using it for the same purpose with the same gas from the same station.

MPG (US) 45.54 45.54 44.64 39.09 39.22 39.58 39.63 39.26 39.13 39.29 38.84 39.74 39.74 42.00 43.66 41.36 38.67 74.66 43.76 43.72 40.41 42.53 39.67 39.67 47.41 42.74 40.39 86.69 44.20 44.20 44.20 41.49 38.50 39.05 40.97 38.08 30.36 47.01 40.93 38.60

I'd think you'd want to track this over several tanks, possibly switching back and forth, to eliminate wind, temperature, terrain, cargo, and many other factors that can add up to a 2mpg difference. I track fuel for all my vehicles and the motorbike regularly varies by more than that even with using it for the same purpose with the same gas from the same station.

This is an important to keep in mind, too. Different stations will have different formulations of additives, and the gas from one station will not necessarily yield the same results as the same grade from a different station. There are SO many variables involved... You have to be careful to control everything except the one variable you are testing for.

• Member Contributer

If you are interested in gaining the best possible mileage then try these steps...

1) new chain and sprockets after the 3rd adjustment... the older the chain the more HP it takes to turn the rear wheel... (2% to 4% gain)

2) check tires before every ride and set press as per manual... the higher the pressure the lower the rolling resistance... (1% to 2% gain)

3) Synthetic oil in 30 weight... thin is in... the lower the viscosity the higher the HP is transfer to the rear wheel... (4% to 6% gain)

• Member Contributer

MPG (US) 45.54 45.54 44.64 39.09 39.22 39.58 39.63 39.26 39.13 39.29 38.84 39.74 39.74 42.00 43.66 41.36 38.67 74.66 43.76 43.72 40.41 42.53 39.67 39.67 47.41 42.74 40.39 86.69 44.20 44.20 44.20 41.49 38.50 39.05 40.97 38.08 30.36 47.01 40.93 38.60

I would like to know what you used for the bolded MPG's, that is what I need :cool: my average is only 36.2 over the last 38.7k

I would like to know what you used for the bolded MPG's, that is what I need :cool: my average is only 36.2 over the last 38.7k

That was where he filled up at the top of a mountain and coasted down in neutral. :)

• Member Contributer

That is what I would have thought, but In all the miles I have ridden with him, I do not think I have ever seen him Coast :wink: (his is the blue one closest to the Oficers truck)

DSC04948

• Member Contributer

Yup, you got me on that one. I noticed later and found that I'd missed mileage /fill up entries in my spreadsheet so the next entry showed a regular volume for fill up but about twice the mileage traveled due to being calculated from odometer readings only. I would have corrected it but didn't think anyone would really believe that part anyway.

BTW, I was coasting when that picture was taken, not on the throttle in the least... of course the speed wasn't that much either.

I just reviewed some of our previous travel threads and I'm starting to catch the fever again.

I saw a segment on TV (for cars) going back a few months ago that was comparing fuel types. Their results showed that the cost to milage factor was about even between the ethanol and 98% mixes, and that the 92% mix was slightly worse off. Not what I expected.

I figure though if they're right, then 98% is the way to go. Means filling up a little less (because it produced better milage to consumption ratio with the cost being similar to ethanol).

Not sure if bikes would be any different, or whether their tests were affected by other variables that would make it irrelevant though.

Ethanol dilutes your fuel, makes you run lean, and impacts your mileage. If you can run pure gasoline, even if it's in the higher octane, do it. Your motor will run better.

The VTEC motors don't like the ethanol AT ALL - local Acura dealers were informing customers to never ever fill up with anything but premium because the lower octane PLUS ethanol was wreaking havoc on motors. I don't suspect it's as bad in the bikes because the motors aren't tuned the same as the VTEC motors were tuned for Acuras.

Still.. I never run ANYTHING but premium in my sleds, even the '98 Indy 440, because the ethanol is murder on two-stroke motors.

• Member Contributer

Ethanol dilutes your fuel, makes you run lean, and impacts your mileage. If you can run pure gasoline, even if it's in the higher octane, do it. Your motor will run better.

The VTEC motors don't like the ethanol AT ALL - local Acura dealers were informing customers to never ever fill up with anything but premium because the lower octane PLUS ethanol was wreaking havoc on motors. I don't suspect it's as bad in the bikes because the motors aren't tuned the same as the VTEC motors were tuned for Acuras.

Still.. I never run ANYTHING but premium in my sleds, even the '98 Indy 440, because the ethanol is murder on two-stroke motors.

Acura motors require premium because of the igntion timing and compression ratios... it has nothing to do with ethanol. Pure ethanol has an octane rating above 100 and adding it to gas raises the octane rating. Most premium gas in the US has ethanol. Find a station that sells 100% gas and you will get 5 - 10% better gas mileage because of the higher energy content in pure gas vs 90% gas/10% ethanol

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Acura motors require premium because of the igntion timing and compression ratios... it has nothing to do with ethanol. Pure ethanol has an octane rating above 100 and adding it to gas raises the octane rating. Most premium gas in the US has ethanol. Find a station that sells 100% gas and you will get 5 - 10% better gas mileage because of the higher energy content in pure gas vs 90% gas/10% ethanol

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Octane, in simple terms, is how resistant to premature detonation the fuel is. Since ethanol lacks the energy potential of gasoline, its octane value is much higher than that of gasoline.

And, the reason that Acura motors spec premium fuel is EXACTLY because of the octane rating. When your ignition timing is advanced like it is in those motors, and the compression is higher, you need the high octane to resist pre-ignition.

If you can get pure gasoline at 87 octane, you can run it in Acura motors without any real risk of damage as long as you don't do it all the time. The computer will adjust the timing to compensate pretty well. The problem is, though, that the lower octane fuels now ALL have ethanol in them. And, since that makes your motor run lean, you WILL do damage by running it in these motors because the computer can't compensate for the timing AND the fuel ratio properly to prevent motor damage from running so lean.

I get on my 2001 5th gen between 250-300kms per tank and this includes all types of riding. 95RON fuel. Mods include: k&n air filter, high rise staintune pipe, power commander 3 with custom map and 107.4 hp at the rear. As long as I get at least 250 Km's out of the tank then I'm happy as I ride bikes for fun and not to worry about the last km I can get out of the tank or I would have bought a scooter.

Unless you are getting less than 250kms or approx 160 miles out of the tank I wouldn't be concerned as they aren't the most fuel efficient bikes in general.

Question to all though: how many actually really care about economy as to me bikes are about having a blast either by yourself or enjoying rides with mates and not about mpg.

• Member Contributer

Your wasting your money on premium fuel in your VFR unless your getting it from a gas pump with a special premium hose...

Buddy I mine is a QC manager at a gas pump manufactor.

He told me is your buying gas from a pump with a single hose and just a selector button for fuel grade, you may have to pump up to 2 gallons of fuel. Before you flush out whatever the guy before you bought.

So on your VFR with its 4.8 gallon tank, you might end up with half a tank of unknown before the good stuff makes it to you.

As far as the ethanol issue.. Yes it will steal about 5% on your mileage. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart that has a Turbo in it, and the manual says to us a 91 fuel. Not sure what it's like in the US, but here in Canada, Shell Vpower is the only 91 fuel you can buy from a brand name station that is ethanol free. So if your spending the extra make sure it's really ethanol free, just because the pump doesn't say it's got ethanol, doesn't mean it's actually ethanol free.

Interesting. I've never been to a petrol station that has one hose for multiple fuel types - didn't even know they existed. Dedicated hoses for each fuel source here downunder.

• Member Contributer

Interesting. I've never been to a petrol station that has one hose for multiple fuel types - didn't even know they existed. Dedicated hoses for each fuel source here downunder.

Basically the normal here anymore..

Petro%20Pump.jpg

• Member Contributer

From my travels, I've only seen the one hose set ups in the US and Canada.

Your wasting your money on premium fuel in your VFR unless your getting it from a gas pump with a special premium hose...

Buddy I mine is a QC manager at a gas pump manufactor.

He told me is your buying gas from a pump with a single hose and just a selector button for fuel grade, you may have to pump up to 2 gallons of fuel. Before you flush out whatever the guy before you bought.

So on your VFR with its 4.8 gallon tank, you might end up with half a tank of unknown before the good stuff makes it to you.

As far as the ethanol issue.. Yes it will steal about 5% on your mileage. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart that has a Turbo in it, and the manual says to us a 91 fuel. Not sure what it's like in the US, but here in Canada, Shell Vpower is the only 91 fuel you can buy from a brand name station that is ethanol free. So if your spending the extra make sure it's really ethanol free, just because the pump doesn't say it's got ethanol, doesn't mean it's actually ethanol free.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the American Petroleum Institute states that approximately 1/3 of a gallon of fuel remains in the pump, not 2 gallons. Pretty big difference...

The availability of non-ethanol fuel varies widely by geography in the US, and is NOT related to a brand... It's completely dependent on what's delivered into the region and which stations opt for what type of fuel.

I use 93 octane fuel in my car and a few of the motorcycles. Depending on where I get fuel, (and if it's 93 octane), I sometimes get ~10% better mileage. I attribute it to fuels at certain locations not having ethanol. My long standing belief is that ethanol additive 'feeds' the corn farmers and particularly the processors converting the corn to ethanol/alcohols etc. At the same time the price for feed going to the feed lots to fatten livestock and fowl goes up. Pay at the pump and pay again at your grocery store.

For more than 57 years I averaged 76K miles/year, not counting rental cars. Perhaps I had too much time on my hands to curse the federal based programs and attitudes regarding energy management. YMWV, R3~

Archived