Backpack Recommendations?

Crewwolfy

I currently have a couple bags, but I'm not super pleased with either. Time to upgrade..

Here's what I need out of the bag right now:

• Waterproof
  • 15" MacBook Pro friendly
  • Enough space to carry the laptop/power cube, a big ass thermos, pair of sneakers, and a couple cans of Monster
  • High quality

Right now I'm looking at the following bags:

2014-ogio-all-elements-backpack-stealth-

Ogio: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/61635/i/ogio-all-elements-backpack?WT.ac=SLIsearch

knurled_welded_excursion_hero.jpg

Chrome: http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/bags/backpacks/excursion-rolltop-37

I have no experience with either brand, but they're both wildly popular brands and look to be of high quality. Anyone have experience with these, or recommendations for similar or superior bags? Maybe something with motorcycle-specific or some other clever feature I haven't thought about..

• Member Contributer

I use one of these. I like the hi vis is hard to miss, but they have other colors. It really lives up to its name "Illuminator"! big enough to hold a laptop and even expands to hold your helmet. Good price as well.

post-24302-0-08839600-1397247664.jpg

• Member Contributer

I like my Cycle Gear Sedici pack. Seems to be holding up pretty well. Only buy it when they go on sale though. Not worth regular price. IMO.

• Member Contributer

I am really hard on backpacks since I basically carry one everyday whether I am on the bike or not. For many years I carried the same backpack all the time. About 3 years ago I bought a Kriega R25 and it has held up well. I have previously carried an ogio metro, a timbuk2, and a wenger. None of these three lasted worth a damn, one season max and I had massive seam failures on all. I love my Kriega when riding, but the ergos that make it great on the bike suck when I'm walking around. Now I carry another cheap-o Wenger in the winter.

Second issue with the Kriega is the lack of compartmentalized storage. I carry a laptop, power supply, cordless mouse, calculator, and pens. There is no dedicated laptop storage pocket, and the options for carrying the small items are not brilliant. I did stitch-witch in a small fabric binder organizer to give me some small storage for pens, flash drives, and other office materials. So if these features are needed, the Kriega may not be optimal. I'll upload some pictures of the failed bags later this weekend.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I will agree with Roy's comments about movement. The bag is also designed to take some of the weight off of your shoulders and place it across the torso. Additionally, I've never had the anything in the bag get wet. The Kriega was weathered some torrential downpours without issue. The straps tend to take a while to dry when they get soaked.

Another one for Kriega. I bought mine nearly 12 years ago, when it was known as Krug.

It's still going strong, and I spoke to the guys at a bike stall last year, they said if I get any problems, t send it back for repair.

Can't argue with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Took a look at their bags, the Kriega R20 looks pretty sharp. Really wish I could see moto stuff in person more easily. Guess I'll go through Revzilla.. Thanks!

Hi..jack...have ya thought about a Givi V46 top case?.. Been wearing my pack pack with this bike now goin on five years and what freedom I feel riding........think about it...you wont be sorry

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I've used the aplinestars commuter for 3 yrs now. I use it for anything & anything with or without the bike. I've used it for a 4 day trip. You'll have no problem with the computer as it has a special zipper for that. There are pockets everywhere. & the rain I have encountered with hasn't harmed anything inside epusu6ap.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Anything that's an hour or more, I would forget the backpack and just strap it to the bike. Wearing the backpack eliminates any ventilation you would get in the jacket, and I found them to be seriously uncomfortable on anything more than a jaunt to the store.

Anything that's an hour or more, I would forget the backpack and just strap it to the bike. Wearing the backpack eliminates any ventilation you would get in the jacket, and I found them to be seriously uncomfortable on anything more than a jaunt to the store.

+1 I use mine mostly for work or small stuff

I've got a Givi hardcase setup in the back. Looking more for something I can use commuting, on and off the bike, and to carry my work laptop. Agree that long trips with a backpack are no fun..

Thats what I do.trow my backpack in the givi with all my work gear and lunch. Get to work and put jacket and my helmet in after grabbing my packpack for my 10 walk to dispatch. Easy peezy.

egugemum.jpg

u2azy9ug.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Whoa, I like those mufflers!

So after some research, and finding an example for 1/3 off, I went with the Ogio. Haven't had a chance to really use it just yet, but it looks solid. I'll post up pics and a review after a bit of use.. Really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Archived