Transition Visor?

boOZZIE

• Member Contributer

Has anyone got a helmet with a transition visor & how do you rate the visor?

Its the end of daylight savings down under & I'm over changing visor twice a day ,also worried about damaging the connection on helmet.

• Member Contributer

Hello Ozzie,

A helmet with a build in sunvisor works perfect; a simple lever pulls it down and up again.

I have a Bell helmet with a SolFX transitions visor. I have been very pleased with it and it has held up well over the two years I've had it. In the brightest of sun, I occasionally wish it would get a little darker, but that is rare. It transitions relatively quickly, but not immediately. You will still have to raise the shield if you enter a tunnel from bright sunshine. It does a great job of adjusting the tint under different lighting such as slight tinting with heavy overcast conditions. I like not having to carry a spare shield or get caught out with one that is too dark. I would definitely buy one again.

• Member Contributer

From what I heard, Bell had an exclusive on transition face shields but that is no longer the case, other manufacturers should be releasing them soon, if not already. I went the same route as Dutchy, bought a helmet with an internal drop down sun visor and highly recommend going that route if in the market for a new helmet. As far as buying just a shield, depending on the helmet, the cost of the shield could be as much as a new helmet. Kind of like buying an inkjet printer. You can buy a new printer for less than $50 but the damn ink cartridge will cost you $80!

Normally in the summer I can get away with wearing the tinted visor for most of my commuting. In the winter it is a different story though. Normally dark in the morning and bright light in the afternoon. I have switched to the clear shield 100% of the time with sunglasses in the afternoon, at least for the winter months. That way I don't have to continually change shields.

• Member Contributer

I find transition lenses in eyeglasses work well when riding, in fact, better than when not riding as the lenses can tend to get quite dark when it's sunny but the sun can hit your eyes from above the top edge of the lens. The helmet constrains the light to entering from the front so this is not an issue.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for input, my helmets only bout 2yrs old & am happy with it.

Ill have to see if & how much 1 would be.

Cheers

Archived