Tankbag That Wont Scratch Tank?

Guest barbwire44

no matter what bag, if you get grass or dirt under it, which will happen, hard to say which is scratch free, most though have foam, that doesn't scratch , but its more when you get debri on the foam.

You can even put a soft cloth under it, but debri has its way of getting around.

no matter what bag, if you get grass or dirt under it, which will happen, hard to say which is scratch free, most though have foam, that doesn't scratch , but its more when you get debri on the foam.

You can even put a soft cloth under it, but debri has its way of getting around.

That's why Bagster system works so well, absolutely zero dust getting under it. Also the bags themselves range from small day pouches to any combo of serious touring luggage, which can be transfered to any other bike with the Bagster cover regardless of model. Bagster is pretty much unheard of in the US

• Member Contributer

If anyone would like/prefer the SW-Motech tank lock setup, PM me. I have a spare that I would consider letting go to a fellow lister for a good price. To the Moderators, I am hoping I haven't messed up here, not wanting to spam or such.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

+1 for SW-Motech. Pricey but great quality. My last tank bag lasted about 15 years, so I wasn't too upset about paying more for a high quality system. I really like the quick release tank ring (a newer design than the one pictured in the previous post, it's a little more compact) and would recommend it over a magnetic system.

attachicon.gifIMG_1582.jpg

So are the old style rings and new style rings incompatible? I have an older tank mount motech daypack and have rings on two bikes already. The bag has been phenomenal, as I've overstuffed it many times and the bag still looks like new. But I'd like a slightly larger bag now and don't want to have to buy new tank rings for both bikes. The new "Daypack" is almost double the size of the old one. I think it would suit my needs well, but again, I hate to have to buy two new tank rings to go with it. So is it a no-go on mixing old mounting rings with new?

From everything I have looked at, it is a no-go and haven't seen an adapter of any sort. Some of the old style bags still do pop up for sale on e-Bay though.

P.S. I have a Givi Tanklock back in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Make me an offer if you think the price is too high.

• Member Contributer

They still sell the original SW Motech/Bags Connection tank rings and bags. They now call them Quick-Lock ION (as opposed to Quick-Lock EVO, which is the newer style). No adapter that I know of.

I'm not sure why they changed the design, but with the EVO mount you can force a release from inside of the bag if the normal unlocking mechanism gets jammed (saw that on a Revzilla vid).

(I am buying Honda Quick-Lock ION tank rings if you decide to convert to the new style!)

Ciao,

They still sell the original SW Motech/Bags Connection tank rings and bags. They now call them Quick-Lock ION (as opposed to Quick-Lock EVO, which is the newer style). No adapter that I know of.

I'm not sure why they changed the design, but with the EVO mount you can force a release from inside of the bag if the normal unlocking mechanism gets jammed (saw that on a Revzilla vid).

(I am buying Honda Quick-Lock ION tank rings if you decide to convert to the new style!)

Ciao,

Yeah, I called TT today. The bag I want comes with a new style top ring. They will NOT substitute an old style top ring. They'll happily SELL me an old style top ring for $47! Seems outrageous to me. I wanted to be able to grab the old bag or the new one and just throw it on. But for $47, I think I'll just take out the four screws and move the ring to the new bigger bag. Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble across an old style top ring some day...or decide it really is worth the 47 bucks.

Ironically, the old bag is a Daypack, and the new bag is a Daypack. But the new style Daypack is almost double the capacity of the old style. And what used to be a Daypack is now a Micro. The old bag expanded from 2.5 - 5 liters. The new Daypack goes from 5 - 9 liters. I do have a birthday coming up, maybe I'll just ask the wife for the bag and tank ring for my birthday. ;-)

Well now you've really got me thinking. I could buy an ION 1 which is the same size, comes with the top ring I need, and cost $30 less. I just have to wonder how much difference in quality there is between the ION and EVO series bags. I have to say that the build quality of my old Daypack is nothing short of outstanding, and I am one finicky arsehole. I have overstuffed and abused that bag for years and it still looks like new. Really a top notch piece. Anybody have any first-hand knowledge of the differences in quality between ION and EVO? The EVO daypack is certainly a sweeter looking bag. Not much style to the ION relatively speaking. But function is more important to me. If not for the $80 difference (including new top ring), it would be an easy choice. So, anybody fondled both style bags themselves?

• Member Contributer

I originally bought a very tiny SW Motech Quick-Lock bag from POLO in Germany and never even installed the top ring onto the bag (I've always wondered why they didn't complete the manufacturing themselves, but I suppose it does allow for some adjustment). Slow-forward a decade or so and I decided to use the top and bottom rings on my own-design multi-bike waterproof tank-mounted electronics box-thing. So I don't actually have any experience using their bags at all, unfortunately. I doubt there's a quality difference, as they've just added the "ION" to help distinguish the first-gen Quick-Lock from the EVO version--the ION range used to be called, simply, "Quick-Lock" when I bought mine.

I should probably switch to the EVO for my stuff, but I've got so many of the ION style now (both regular and electric bottom rings and top rings), it would be very expensive to do so...

Differences between ION and EVO

(SW Motech says the bags are "identical", btw.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I'm still drawn towards the Cortech Dryver (medium). Looks great, great reviews and you don't need to stop to put on a rain cover when it rains (which it does a lot over here). Trouble is I can't find a UK supplier and the postage & customs charges make it really rather expensive.

Differences between ION and EVO

(SW Motech says the bags are "identical", btw.)

Ciao,

Unfortunately, the info in that link is very misleading. The ION bags are totally different from the EVO bags if you look in their product catalog. TT describes the ION bags as being for the "budget minded shopper". All the ION bags come with the old style ring, and all the EVO bags come with the new style ring. I don't want to buy a crap bag, but it really irks me that I have to pay $50 extra to get the ring that fits the hardware I already have on two bikes, as they won't substitute an old ring for the new ring that comes with the bag. Grrrrr.

Archived