Is It Too Soon?* Cota* April 11-13* #34

bayarearider

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you really feel the need to sleep on the ground, hotels are too close to track for that.

And for not much more then a campsite from the sounds of it. :ph34r:

Looks like the $150 camping spot is good from Wednesday at noon until Monday at noon though, so $150 for 5 nights. I'm sure hotels are a min $150-200 a night.

Unless you really feel the need to sleep on the ground, hotels are too close to track for that.

And for not much more then a campsite from the sounds of it. :ph34r:

Looks like the $150 camping spot is good from Wednesday at noon until Monday at noon though, so $150 for 5 nights. I'm sure hotels are a min $150-200 a night.

Noted..

Wish I had the time to ride in but we're flying in.

• Member Contributer

We rent a house that is 5 miles from the track on the East side of it (no traffic). I can ask if there are any slots available if necessary. It's $250 per person and we all chip in $100 or so each for food and beer as we pretty much eat out of the house (except for lunch at the traffic so say breakfast/dinner). I'm getting there on Wednesday night as I'm doing the Riders for Health Day on Thursday. I think everyone else arrives Thursday. We have keys Wed-Wed I believe. It's a pretty big spread, house is something like 6k sq ft, 5 bedrooms, pool, and sits on hundreds of acres. Plenty of room to park, you could park a damn RV on the property.

• Member Contributer

We rent a house that is 5 miles from the track on the East side of it (no traffic). I can ask if there are any slots available if necessary. It's $250 per person and we all chip in $100 or so each for food and beer as we pretty much eat out of the house (except for lunch at the traffic so say breakfast/dinner). I'm getting there on Wednesday night as I'm doing the Riders for Health Day on Thursday. I think everyone else arrives Thursday. We have keys Wed-Wed I believe. It's a pretty big spread, house is something like 6k sq ft, 5 bedrooms, pool, and sits on hundreds of acres. Plenty of room to park, you could park a damn RV on the property.

Sweet !!!

• Member Contributer

I went last year. General admission allows you great views of the track and all corners. Of course you have walk around the 3.4 mile track to get all the views.

For the motogp race they did not have all of the grandstands you see available during the F1 weekend, so the general admission is way better than during the F1 race. Just compare the tickets they sell for the motogp vs. the F1 race and you can see how much more area there is for gen. ad. for motogp.

Also the large video screens are visible from general admission areas.

Hotels and flights are all higher priced than usual for Austin. I travel to and from Austin several times a year and my flight last year to the race was the most expensive ticket.

I'd definitely spend Friday or Saturday scoping out the track to find the locations and views you like best. Sunday will be about 1/3 more busy and you better get there early if you want that favorite spot you found earlier.

The parking for motorcycles is a good deal because you get to park right next to the back straight and it is a short walk to enter the track, unlike most of the car parking lots. Also is it paved, unlike most of the car lots.

I was trying to figure out how best to ride or get my vfr there to ride around on one of the parade laps this year, but I came to the conclusion I really don't want to be bored to death for 10 hours traversing western Texas.

I hope to still go and possible rent a motorcycle locally and do it that way.

6K sq.ft...a Texas bungalow :goofy:

Hey, I can understand the overpriced food and drink around the track but are the reports true that it's also not very good?

I was hoping for some Micro-brews and BBQ..

• Member Contributer

The "track" food is just that. Plus the track has a beer deal with beck's or other green bottle beer, I can't remember which one, so don't expect to many choices.

Austin has a great independent food-restaurant industry.

Big chain restaurants don't compare well to the many local-Austin-Texas only establishments.

There were a few local food trailers at the track but I agree that I expected a much better offering considering how good Austin food can be.

Try any of the small one-off food trailers that are at the track.

I know there was one ice cream and one bbq trailer which had long lines but were far better than anything else at the track.

• Member Contributer

6K sq.ft...a Texas bungalow :goofy:

Hey, I can understand the overpriced food and drink around the track but are the reports true that it's also not very good?

I was hoping for some Micro-brews and BBQ..

Nah, it's a ranch out in the country. Livestock, etc.

At the track there are a couple of really good Food vendors but you've got a lot of corporate America stands. Beer? The microbrews won't be present, as least I didn't see any but I'm sure one or two vendors may those beers. I just didn't work to find them as I don't drink them.

I remember buying Stella tall boys (I can't drink American Lite Piss beer) and they were $8 a pop so not cheap.

What you can do is bring a cooler in your car and take some trips out to parking and do your deal there. If you want to save money bring lunch and leave the cooler in the car w/ice. (You can't bring a cooler into the track, water only).

Keep in mind that last year was the first year so this year it should be much better this year. It takes a year or two for them to figure out x, y, and z.

• Member Contributer

I would love to go ....

Do you mean attend, ride there, or both?

Yeah .....

What's stopping you?

Didn't realize when it was scheduled. I have to submit my leave in Jan. No leave .

• Member Contributer

I would love to go ....

Yeah .....

What's stopping you?

Didn't realize when it was scheduled. I have to submit my leave in Jan. No leave .

Sorry to hear. You do look a little feverish, like you might be coming down with the 3-day flu a couple of weeks from now. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I would love to go ....

Yeah .....

What's stopping you?

Sorry to hear. You do look a little feverish, like you might be coming down with the 3-day flu a couple of weeks from now. :goofy:

I have thought about it .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks like we will have good weather this weekend.

Yeah the forecast of rain for Sunday has cleared. High in the low 80's, lows in the upper 50's. IT doesn't get any better here..............

**SPOILER***

I haven't seen a jumped start that badly "JL" in a long time..

I thought JL was trying to goat MM into a false start to dimenish his point total today. #fail.

Is COTA just too long for anything other than Honda?

A walk away.

Nice track BTW. perfect temps this time.

Could see how it would scorch.

You can do me a favor and send me all the old school races you have on dvd... would love to see them... would pay for the discs too, of course! :smile:

Ever seen a documentary called "When Playboys ruled the world"?

I also have "the Unridables" it's similar to Faster but about late 80's, it was on youtube but keeps getting pulled, I can send you a thumbdrive with it

• Member Contributer

It made me smile to see that somebody had a fourth generation lined up in pole position for the parade lap. Sweet looking track.

A men brother..

I have not seen either one, but would love to. Thank you!

hope the link works for the "playboys" it's one of the best and came out long before the Rush (it covers some of the same timeline in James Hunt's career)

PM me your addy and I will send the Unridables. I also have Motosiberia, it's like "long way round" but only from Poland to Magadan on KTM's and no film crew

Archived