Paint Or Plastidip?

Guest Pletchj

Guest Pletchj

So im looking at changing the paintjob on my 2005 VFR 800, from the silver to a black and white, and was looking at fellow riders opinions, does anybody have a priceing for a full paintjob on a vfr including the rims? just an estimate would be great.

Im also looking at possibly doing plasti-dip instead, the kit with the colors would cost around $300, which isent too bad, but wondering if anybody has expierence with this, near the crotch area or knee areas or anything like that is there any rub off? is there any problems with it peeling or chipping? im not looking to have to redo the plastidip so any info on that would be amazing. thanks in advance.

Paint the body- $500-$5000 depending on quality wanted.

(can't cheat on that)

Dip the Legs- mask and rattle can- <$20

Fresh dipped legs

Still holding tough after one year..

Powder coat the Wheels- $200-$300 avg.

skidmarx hugger

not for everyone..

• Member Contributer

If you want something permanent and relatively maintenance free, paint or powder coating is the may to go. If you want to just cover cosmetic blemishes or play around with color schemes, then plasti-dip is fine. My experience with plasti-dip is that it's great for doing a quick and easy covering but it will peel very easily especially in areas that make contact with any object, including yourself.

• Member Contributer

Plasti-dip is a great way to waste an afternoon and like what you see for about a few minutes. You will find it does not last at all for any aplication. Some may disagree but I experimented extensively, in great detail.

• Member Contributer

BayArea Rider, do you have any pics of the Plasitdipped fork tubes after a year of riding?

They look fantastic in your first pic above.

As to fake carbon fiber shelf paper suggested by SwitchBlade...please do not do that to your VFR. Find a friend with a disposable 600RR of some persuasion and let him put ketchup on his hamburger as it does not belong on a Rib-eye.

• Member Contributer

BayArea Rider, do you have any pics of the Plasitdipped fork tubes after a year of riding?

As to fake carbon fiber shelf paper suggested by SwitchBlade...please do not do that to your VFR. Find a friend with a disposable 600RR of some persuasion and let him put ketchup on his hamburger as it does not belong on a Rib-eye.

Ouch !

• Member Contributer

Ouch !

Double ouch any pic's of said event ...

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am sure you all know but, Rust-oleum is making a FlexiDip product that is meant to be like Plasti-dip. My alloy truck rims looked like crap so had nothing to loose. The FlexiDip applies much more evenly then the Plasti. Goes on as even as a paint does and doesn't splatter like the Plasti. Cant respond as to wear but it looks great and said goodbye to the old, tired oxidized Alloys. My Home Depot stopped stocking the Plasti-dip and now only replenishes stock of the FlexiDip. Another HD conspiracy.

• 7 months later...

I just gave my forks the plasti-dip treatment last weekend. Put new tires on and have logged 300 or so miles since. It seems to be holding up well. Definitely need to be cautious when cleaning but it looks far better than the chipped up, crappy look I had before. The cost makes it well worth the time.

post-25454-0-29978700-1438544317.jpg

So im looking at changing the paintjob on my 2005 VFR 800, from the silver to a black and white, and was looking at fellow riders opinions, does anybody have a priceing for a full paintjob on a vfr including the rims? just an estimate would be great.

I just had my entire 5th gen sprayed into british racing green. I ended up taking off all the pieces from the bike and sanding them myself. I went to an auto paint shop and bought some base/clear of the good stuff and arrived at an earl scheib ready for them to paint. Cost me $100 for paint/clear and then $400 for the shop to repair plastics/further prep and shoot.

I requested a good painter and I brought my own paint knowing that they use an 'eh' sherwin williams watern base paint. It's not a million bucks but it looks great and I can't stop smiling. Great thing about taking everything off is finding what's wrong with everything else (cough* clips) . Good amount of 'dusting' didn't do nobody no harm!

• Member Contributer

I just had my entire 5th gen sprayed into british racing green. I ended up taking off all the pieces from the bike and sanding them myself. I went to an auto paint shop and bought some base/clear of the good stuff and arrived at an earl scheib ready for them to paint. Cost me $100 for paint/clear and then $400 for the shop to repair plastics/further prep and shoot.

I requested a good painter and I brought my own paint knowing that they use an 'eh' sherwin williams watern base paint. It's not a million bucks but it looks great and I can't stop smiling. Great thing about taking everything off is finding what's wrong with everything else (cough* clips) . Good amount of 'dusting' didn't do nobody no harm!

Um, pic?

Archived