1985 Vf500F - Would You?

Guest Recalcitrance

• Member Contributer

I was looking at that exact one myself actually. The "Project that hasn't been finished, but close to done" part worries me. I'm assuming the usual older bike stuff, carbs, seals, etc.

Guest Recalcitrance

All I know is the owner rides an R1 for his daily use, is a member on OCmoto, and has Sunday and Monday off.

Red flags are waiving around the very nondescript ad.

Will see the bike later today. You never know. Could be a gem.

• Member Contributer

Project that hasn't been finished, but close to done

Translation: "I fixed everything I could but then discovered that the cam lobes are shot" LOL!!

$1500 is pretty steep for a old bike that needs "TLC" and since mileage isn't mentioned in the ad I would assume it has significant mileage on it.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

All I know is the owner rides an R1 for his daily use, is a member on OCmoto, and has Sunday and Monday off.

Red flags are waiving around the very nondescript ad.

Will see the bike later today. You never know. Could be a gem.

Could indeed be in great mechanical condition - hope this works out for you. For reference here are the engine serial numbers & carb codes:

vf500f84serialnumbervfrworld04-29-1.jpg

vf5008586serialnumbervfrworld04-29-.jpg

Project that hasn't been finished, but close to done

Translation: "I fixed everything I could but then discovered that the cam lobes are shot" LOL!!

$1500 is pretty steep for a old bike that needs "TLC" and since mileage isn't mentioned in the ad I would assume it has significant mileage on it.

Rollin

LOL!

Don't make assumptions based on looks. I have 2 1984 VF1000 interceptors. One is low miles and show quality but the cams were trashed, the other is a daily rider/beater with high miles and the cams were flawless.

The single most important thing to take along with you for inspection is a compression gauge.

If it's good all will fall into line but if it's bad, walk away.

OSC

http://www.oldschoolcarbs.com

Guest Recalcitrance

Guy selling is nice. Has an R1 and the BMW S1000.

Bike has leaking fork seals but nothing that needs attention right away. Gas tank needs a new O-ring though I'm not quite familiar with this bike so I'm not sure what that means/entails.

New tires, chain, and battery. Carbs have been synced.

"Project" was not meant in the usual sense for an '85.

Bike starts and runs without issue.

Selling for a friend who is having equilibrium issues and can't ride anymore after diagnosis.

Guest Recalcitrance

Coolant leak. $40 part. Said he could take care of it.

ODO reads 34,381, but engine rebuilt 19,000 ago. Said the '85 was known to have the bottom go out but 15K seems really low for a rebuild.

6 months new on battery, tires, and chain.

Battery - Yuasa (?)

Chain - DID Gold

Tires - BT45s

• Member Contributer

Lots of myths about early Honda V4s :-)

Here is some great reading on the subject:

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/v4_fallacies.html

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/v4_cams_what.html

On a side note, did you have a chance to confirm that this is an '85 engine with a set of '85 carbs?

• Member Contributer

That's the first I've heard about the bottom going out. Bottom meaning crankshaft? And second on the compression tester.

There's a VF500C service manual up in the download section. The engine info should be the same for the C and F.

• Member Contributer

^ For reference, only very early engines had the crankshaft recall (the entire engine was replaced at the dealership).

84enginerecallframenumbers800px.jpg
On this note - you don't want to be running any 500 at extended revs above 10,000 rpm!

• Member Contributer

You can easily tell if a 500 has a bottom end problem because it will be a 5-speed - in 20+ years I've only ever seen one so they are crazy rare.

I'd scoop it up, but probably not after some haggling. That bike looks really nice and ones in good shape are selling for $1200-1500 pretty regularly these days.

• Member Contributer

I looked at that one too. I have an 84 and an 85, but the garage is full. They are not hard to work on. I'm close. I could help you out if you needed anything.

Good on ya! Great to read posts like this.

Coolant leak. $40 part. Said he could take care of it.

ODO reads 34,381, but engine rebuilt 19,000 ago. Said the '85 was known to have the bottom go out but 15K seems really low for a rebuild.

6 months new on battery, tires, and chain.

Battery - Yuasa (?)

Chain - DID Gold

Tires - BT45s

If you do wind up getting this or any other VF500 Interceptor, be ready for a pleasant surprise.

Honda really hit the sweet spot with power : weight ratio on this one.

The 1000 is a rocket to be sure but heavier than a flippin' piano. I'm spending more time on the 500 because it's more fun and less worry.

OSC

Guest Recalcitrance

I looked at that one too. I have an 84 and an 85, but the garage is full. They are not hard to work on. I'm close. I could help you out if you needed anything.

Thanks man. I really appreciate that. I have little experience with older bikes so I'm hesitant to buy it but I know I'd learn a lot. Good looking out. :)

Owner said after I left, someone from Pasadena came down to see it. Was that you?

Guest Recalcitrance

I think I'll pass this time. Bike wasn't in too bad a shape and it started right up. Sounded fine. Just not worth the asking price and I didn't feel that this was the right one.

I hope it goes to a good home.

post-23419-0-61517100-1389170746.jpgpost-23419-0-25147500-1389170748.jpgpost-23419-0-40706400-1389170749.jpgpost-23419-0-53712700-1389170751.jpgpost-23419-0-17390500-1389170753.jpgpost-23419-0-38166900-1389170756.jpgpost-23419-0-65878600-1389170755.jpgpost-23419-0-08336700-1389170755.jpgpost-23419-0-50533700-1389170754.jpgpost-23419-0-91860900-1389170753.jpg

Archived