6 Gen Rear Set Install

yycviffer

I'm waiting for a metric flare kit now to try to reflare the old line and restore the system.

I've "rented" one from Autozone before if you don't want to buy one. Pay the money, take the tool, bring it back and get your money back........I know how frugal you are. :goofy:

I'm waiting for a metric flare kit now to try to reflare the old line and restore the system.

I've "rented" one from Autozone before if you don't want to buy one. Pay the money, take the tool, bring it back and get your money back........I know how frugal you are. :goofy:

You've taught me everything I know about frugality!

• Member Contributer

The modification: As mentioned, right hand side of the nut needs to be trimmed. 14.8mm removed is what I found worked:

IMG_2428_zps1972c91d.jpg

IMG_2429_zps7d5f72cf.jpg

Is that the 6th gen swing arm pivot bolt & nut that needs trimming or the 5th gen nut???

Is that the 6th gen swing arm pivot bolt & nut that needs trimming or the 5th gen nut???

pivot bolt and nut are 6th gen, only way it works.

Chain alignment ok ?

No change from before. it looks good!

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up point:

My backordered right side heat shield came in. At first I thought there was no way it would fit... but it fit no problem.

IMG_2462_zps92e95d07.jpg

Also disconnected the hard line, tried to bleed the brakes and discovered that is the source for the circuit from the master cylinder on the left hand front caliper to the rear brakes... so I fed it fluid to fill and bleed the system, then cut and flared the line, and capped it. so everything should work...

I'll try it when it stops raining... if it ever does.

• Member Contributer

Follow up point:

My backordered right side heat shield came in. At first I thought there was no way it would fit... but it fit no problem.

IMG_2462_zps92e95d07.jpg

Also disconnected the hard line, tried to bleed the brakes and discovered that is the source for the circuit from the master cylinder on the left hand front caliper to the rear brakes... so I fed it fluid to fill and bleed the system, then cut and flared the line, and capped it. so everything should work...

I'll try it when it stops raining... if it ever does.

Looks very NICE!!!

Love the blue w/ white rims....

• Member Contributer
Dam that looks good ^^^^^

Switchblade, on 20 Jun 2014 - 9:14 PM, said:snapback.png

Chain alignment ok ?

Sweet !!1

Thanks! I never did get sun today, but here's outside:

IMG_2468_zpsd0f6e526.jpg

May i ask three questions:

1/how did u block off where the original turn signals mount so u can use the fireblade mirror/signals?

2/whats the purpose of this whole subject? whats the benefit of swapping the 5th gen rear set with the 6th gen ones?

3/is that a givi touring windscreen? if not, what is it?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

2/whats the purpose of this whole subject? whats the benefit of swapping the 5th gen rear set with the 6th gen ones?

I can answer one of those questions... swapping to a 6th gen lower cushion allows adjustability of rear sets and a selection after market choices. 5th gen pegs can be adjusted with BLS lowering blocks or Buell peg swaps... not too many other options that I know of.

Damn man, that bike is beautiful. I love the Honda insignia on the tank, very classy! The rear sets look great too. All in all, just one helluva bike.

Did you use the DarthBling mirror mounts?

I can answer one of those questions... swapping to a 6th gen lower cushion allows adjustability of rear sets and a selection after market choices. 5th gen pegs can be adjusted with BLS lowering blocks or Buell peg swaps... not too many other options that I know of.

May i ask three questions:

1/how did u block off where the original turn signals mount so u can use the fireblade mirror/signals?

3/is that a givi touring windscreen? if not, what is it?

Thanks!

1. Original holes were filled with a plate I made from an old upper fairing... then glassed in from the back, then filled and smoothed out on the outside.

2. For me, I had a bent footpeg mount, and I wanted the look and adjustability of the 6th gen setup. I had originally thought of using the bike for track use too.

3. The screen is a Zero Gravity unit. I had a givi before and it caused my helmet to buffet up and down, this one is perfect, the airflow comes just below my helmet and there is no buffetting!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

pivot bolt and nut are 6th gen, only way it works.

Chain alignment ok ?

I know this is done, but it came up again. I am pretty sure that you don't have to trim anything. The right side spacer/pivot collar is removed from the 5th Gen swing arm and replaced with the "nut" from the 6th Gen set. This still leaves the left side with too short a spacer, which is why you need to get the 6th Gen right side spacer.

That's what I remember from the mockup at Carvers'.

BUT, this in my newest thought: Maybe taking the right side 5G spacer and moving to the left with the original 5G spacer will take up the space? I have no idea.

Archived