Lifting Front Of Bike With Hoist

emoyer

I use a front stand from Handy that has pins that fit into the bottom of the forks. I also remove the front fender and there is plenty of room to roll the wheel out. Only have to remove one caliper this way, I think the right one.

• 3 weeks later...

Put on center stand and stuff a paint can under the header.

Floor jack works too, BTW

So this gives enough clearance to get tire out from under fender?

It will just clear the tire, if I recall right , all dipends on rear tires wear and also suspension setup. But if the clarens is tight, its just 4 scruves to take off the fender anyway, at least on a 5th gen.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Put on center stand and stuff a paint can under the header.

Floor jack works too, BTW

Do the side panels need to be removed to do this?

And can the wheel be removed without messing with the caliper?

• Member Contributer

One thing to watch out for on the VFR with suspending the bike from the ceiling or a front end lift (Pitbull with a pin) under or through the steering head.

The Steering head is a pivot! If you have the bike on the rear tire (not balanced on the center stand) the bike can twist around the steering head (on the stand or supported from a ceiling joist) and fall over! This could be very disconcerting...and dent your wallet.

If the bike is supported by the center stand and you llift the bike with a jack under the headers--you will be balanced until you compress the rear tire enough to lever the bike up off the center stand...at this point you can also have the bike tilt and fall over as well.

Bike weighs nigh 500+ pounds. Be careful--make sure your load is not only balanced, but secure.

Matt

Make sure you are hanging it off a strong/deep enough joist or truss in your garage too.

I've seen enough garages and houses in my Architectural career that did not have adequate roof/ceiling structure to support a 200+ pound point load like a hanging VFR might exert....

If not sure, try to hang the bike not at mid-span of the ceiling/roof structure, but closer to one wall if possible.......

• 1 month later...

Archived