5Th Gen Rear Wheel Hub Fit 6Th Gen

zRoYz

Ok anybody know if there is any difference between the 5th gen & 6th gen rear wheel hubs, this is what I know.

In the parts fish the hub assembly for the 5th & 6th gen use different part number.

All the other parts that are inside the hub bearings, clips, seals, spacers, axle have the same part numbers both gens.

I have measured both hubs & can't find any difference, but I can't measure exact bearing location within the hub (don't want to push bearings out in case damage may happen)

Both hubs have same cast markings.

The 6th gen hub I have has an added bolt that does nothing except limiting rotation when tensioning chain, the 5th gen hub I have doesn't have this.

The reason I ask is my 6th gen bearings are toast & I have a brand new 5th gen hub assembly that a friend will let me use & replace later. I can get the individual bearings in a few days but not the seals. I have a trip away very soon & not enough time to get the parts not in stock.

I can use all the parts in the new 5th gen hub into my 6th gen hub but there is always a risk the needle roller bearing can receive damage because there is not much lip to press that bearing out so I would rather not if I don't have too.

I have test fitted the 5th gen hub & again see no difference.

Don't know but there has to be enough difference for them(honda) to change the part number ....

Honda only have to make a minor change to use another part number & I'm thinking that change is only the added bolt used as a rotation stop which is nothing. The only other change going on everything is the same except the cast hub full assembly part number if you buy complete might be bearing location within hub but can't see it or measure a difference with hub assembled & only way I can be 100% sure is remove bearings from new 5th gen hub & if I do that I might as well put them in my 6th gen hub. But I really would like to just slot in the current 5th gen hub complete without risking damaging parts removing them.

I don't know if it will affect you're particular case but one difference I do know of between 5th and 6th gens resides in the eccentric.. Having owned both, I discovered that when tightening the chain, the direction is reversed from one gen to the other, that is the direction that tightens the chain for one gen, loosens it for the other.

That would mean the 5th gen has the offset in the hub positioned top of swing arm for that to happen as the 6th gen has it at the bottom. The hub external measurements both gens are identical.

To explain if that is the case the offset when positioned bottom of swing arm like 6th gen you have to turn hub towards front of bike to tighten chain, the only way for the 5th gen to tighten chain opp direction is offset has to be top of swing arm so to tighten you turn toward back of bike.

• Member Contributer

Not sure when you leave or how quickly you could get this kit, but a few people including me used this kit from Pivot Works.

http://www.pivotworks.com/ProductInfo.aspx?item_id=1568

Can't beat that price ....

That would mean the 5th gen has the offset in the hub positioned top of swing arm for that to happen as the 6th gen has it at the bottom. The hub external measurements both gens are identical.

To explain if that is the case the offset when positioned bottom of swing arm like 6th gen you have to turn hub towards front of bike to tighten chain, the only way for the 5th gen to tighten chain opp direction is offset has to be top of swing arm so to tighten you turn toward back of bike.

And then if it did come loose it would be a catastrophe ........

• Member Contributer

I don't know if it will affect you're particular case but one difference I do know of between 5th and 6th gens resides in the eccentric.. Having owned both, I discovered that when tightening the chain, the direction is reversed from one gen to the other, that is the direction that tightens the chain for one gen, loosens it for the other.

Are you sure? The 3rd-4th gen eccentric is normally positioned with the axle at the bottom, and the 5th gen moved it to the top. I "flipped the eccentric" on my 3rd gen and gained 30-40mm ride height, but I remember from a VFRdiscussion with HS that this isn't possible on the 5th gens.

For what you have written to be true, the 6th gen would have to have it back at the bottom, and zRoYz says it is not... :mellow:

Ciao,

the 6th gen does have offset at bottom which like I said above to tighten chain you need to turn hub towards front of bike. Is the 5th gen offset top of swingarm because it would have to be if chain tensions opp to 6th gen which I don't think is correct.

It doesn't matter that much as the 5th & 6th gen hubs are identical as every measurement I have done tells me this, I had to get new battery for vernier to measure calliper mount face to internal bearing face that axle butts up onto & there the same this was only measurement I wasn't sure were same. So only difference is the 6th gen Honda added a bolt that limits hub movement for chain tension travel (bolt head hits calliper bkt as a stop, which isn't really needed as your chain would be a rubber band adjusting it that far anyway)

The hub top is a 5th gen & the lower hub is 6th gen, you can see the added bolt on the casting face 6th gen hub.
The castings also have identical casting numbers from the mould.
The difference you see is the 5th has bearings etc installed the 6th gen has them removed.

5th & 6th gen hubs

• Member Contributer

Are you sure? The 3rd-4th gen eccentric is normally positioned with the axle at the bottom, and the 5th gen moved it to the top. I "flipped the eccentric" on my 3rd gen and gained 30-40mm ride height, but I remember from a VFRdiscussion with HS that this isn't possible on the 5th gens.

For what you have written to be true, the 6th gen would have to have it back at the bottom, and zRoYz says it is not... :mellow:

Ciao,

Oh, dear. I think I confused myself! :unsure:

Sorry! What I meant to say was that the 3rd & 4th gens OEM eccentric position is at the TOP. I know this because I flipped the eccentric on my own FP and gained 30-40mm ride height--this would only work if the OEM position had the axle at the top. Based on the information I have about the 5th gen (I've never actually looked closely at my own Y2k), its OEM axle position is already at the BOTTOM, so flipping the eccentric can only lower the 5th gen. If Honda switched the orientation again with the 6th-gen, then its axle position would be at the TOP, like the 3rd/4th-gens, so flipping the eccentric could (linkage and shock clearance issues TBD) result in 30-40mm additional rear ride height.

Which means that both zRoYz and Auspanol can be correct... :cool:

Ciao,

Archived