Givi Rack Snapped In Half

Havagan

• Member Contributer

Well that sucked. I went to move the bike this afternoon and saw the Givi top case was flopping around because the rack snapped in half. Givi only has a 24 month warranty but I was hoping, since this wasn't some plastic/consumable part, that they would replace the mounting bracket under warranty... NOPE!

So metal fatigue isn't honored past 24 months. Bah.

I gave them flak and they finally offered me 20% off the retail price for new mount racks (Givi part number 166FZ). It's better than nothing, but something about metal snapping annoys me. Oddly, except for the TMAC in May, I've pretty much been running the Givi case empty since I started riding again.

Tack on another $100 to the VFR repair bill!

10351847766_e9a984ee19_b.jpg

10350769843_d390666785_b.jpg

Had the exact same thing happen to mine. $30 at a local metal shop my car mechanic recommended and it was better than new, with added reinforcement inside the tube.

• Member Contributer

GIVI became aware of this issue and has subsequently added a support bar to the mounting brackets. The new bracket should come with this support bar now.

post-23057-0-89814600-1382135319.jpg

post-23057-0-92864800-1382135332.jpg

I should add this is for my 6 Gen, but I believe other Gen brackets are being sold with these as well, wouldn't hurt to double check.

• Member Contributer

I keep seeing these posts about broken Givi racks and that makes me a bit nervous even though mine has an additional support welded on top of the main spars. I rarely use my trunk but I have the rack on full time just so I can throw the trunk on in a flash. Mounting the rack is a bit of a pain as those sleeves that the bolts run through don't line up with the bike as perfectly as they should. It takes a little manipulation and the hands of a helper to get it on just right. I can see where that might add undue stress to the whole rack. Fingers crossed!

Archived