03 Harness Recall.....and The Aftermath

DfnsMn69

Well there is no joy in Muddville today. Looks like the VFR is going in for major surgery. Took her in to have the Harness Recall done on her... It's not a good outlook right now. Not only was the BBC melted together but subsequent inspection of the main harness shows massive melt points at just about every connector. Including spots on the harness itself where the insulation has completely turned to powder. The Master Mech at the dealer said he has never seen one this bad and was amazed that I had been riding it since July. On the bright side we figured out what the intermittent charging issues were being caused by. So pictures were taken and emailed off to Mother Honda. The hopeful outcome is that I get a new main and Sub-harness. The dealer also did the pre-purchase inspection and missed that the recalls were still outstanding so they have agreed that once the harness' are in and the bike runs again that if the R/R is marginal they will replace it for free. I checked battery voltage before I left the house this morning and it was sitting at ~13.2 @idle and 13.0-14.1 at 5k so it was a good day. The intermitent charging issue that I had been experiencing was out of the blue it would just quit charging going down the road. Changing rpms ±2k fixed the problem until the next time. The first time it happened was when I called the dealer to verify that the recalls had been done.

I also managed to grab about an hour on this beauty while I was waiting. ... Got back with an ear to ear grin. Sales guy asked what I thought. Only thing I could come up with was "FREAKING WOW" My gawd that bike is just smooth power multiplied smooth power.

20131015_140836.jpg

You should have no worries about getting both harnesses. Sounds like yours is a lot worse than mine was, and I got both. A good relationship with your dealer goes a long way.

Some folks had issues with how the front harness was routed throught the front subframe, so ask your mechanic to give that a secon look before reinstalling the Tupperware.

Just got a call from the Service Manager. Honda has determined from the pictures that the VFR needs a complete harness.. Headlight to Taillight. Harness is on the way should be here by the end of next week. Total cost to me will be about $100 due to them having to take the Headlight and Brake light modulators out and re-installed. I'm totally ok with this as I had expected them to just cut them out and I'd re-install them at my leisure over the winter.

• 4 months later...

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with the same issue.

I've had my bike for a little over 2 yrs (first bike!) and was having weird electrical gremlins. Did a quick search online and the recall came up.

Had a local Honda dealership check and yep, mine was never brought in for the recall work.

Now I'm looking at the fourth week of it being in the shop with Honda USA and the local shop scratching their heads about how to get everything working again...

I had forgotten about this thread so a little update woudl be in order.

Got the bike back everything was fine for about a month. On a short hop downtown I git stuck in typical Portland traffic with no where to get away from a 45min idle fest. Even with free revving and trying to keep the RPMs up I pulled up to a stoplight and she just died. Luckily I was able to duck walk her into the parking lot of a Les Schwabs right at closing time. Manager was nice enough to pull the service truck around and give her a jump. Once she was running again charging voltage was normal. Put her on a tender while I was at the event then took her home. Currently she is sitting in the garage with all the plastic off of her while I take care of some winter maint. items. Stator and a MOSFET R/R should be here next week. Will get them installed and see where we are at from there. My thinking is replace the whole charging system that way I don't find the weak link in the middle of Eastern Oregon this summer.

Looks like the suspension upgrades will have to wait til next year. Tires, Chain and sprocket and the Charging system have swallowed my maint. budget for the year.

• Member Contributer

^^^ If your mileage is under 40ish, chances are you can get away with out a new stator. Its worth it to do a charging system check. Here's a thread on that. Post #24

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77147-rectifierrrvfrness-question/page-3

btw - thanks for the 6Ps. What a great idea. My job is engineering project manager. I'm gonna be passing out some 6P "kudos" to team members once in awhile. :beer:

^^^ If your mileage is under 40ish, chances are you can get away with out a new stator. Its worth it to do a charging system check. Here's a thread on that. Post #24

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77147-rectifierrrvfrness-question/page-3

btw - thanks for the 6Ps. What a great idea. My job is engineering project manager. I'm gonna be passing out some 6P "kudos" to team members once in awhile. :beer:

Yep done the drill twice.. hand over handed the entire circuit 3 times at this point I'm about to go the engineering troubleshoot method and just throw new parts at it until the problem goes away. I'm fed up with it. My attitude would probably change if it was a huge expense but It's under $300 for new stator and Mosfet R/R with adapter harness so I can switch back to stock if I absolutely have to.

I also like this one, "piss poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine." My 03 stator died at 52K . Replaced the stator, did 3 wire "fixes" The blue connector, the monitor wire, and the elimination of the stator connector. Added the head up monitor and all is well. Still running the original R/R. Oh yeah and the most important "fix" the 30 amp fuse at the battery. The monitor fix seemed to bring the volts down from 15.2 to 14.7 but haven't had a chance to put a lot of miles on yet. Still no recall done yet.

Archived