Electrickery Part One

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

About 9PM here, sipping a Springbank, fingers crossed that tomorrow all will be ok with my '97 redslut... :cool:

Today on a short ride to a shop, my Signal Dynamics led voltage meter was telling me something was up...

From its regular green (12.9V-15.1V), it went to yellow (12.7-12.9) and sometimes red (12.1-12.6).

I am running both H4 bulbs at the same time, as well as DRL leds. Turning of the lights would give me steady green.

Stopped at the shop, came back 5 mins later and.......... nada, not even the cockpit lights will light up.

Got a bump start (2nd gear) and she would fire up, kept her running.

On the ride home with lights of, I woudl switch on the headlights again and after about 1 minute the yellow would appear. Switch lights off gives me green. Engine running fine al along

Got home, switch off, try to start, zip, nada.

Lifted the seat and noticed the bolt on the (-) terminal was a bit loose, not really clamping down the wires running to it. Tightened fully, but zip nada.

Battery is now on the Optimate charger so tomorrow will tell.

I *suspect* the Yuasa battery (7 years old) decided enuf is enuf.

With the battery loaded, I can do a test tomorrow evening/Friday (yeah some of us have to go work.......no rest for the wicked), checking if the stator/RR give enuf juice to the battery.

any opinions in the mean time are welcome :beer:

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you may have found your problem with your old battery Dutchy, but I have read somewhere that the charging system on the VFR's was really not up to running the high beams all the time. Have you heard that?

• Member Contributer

No didn't hear that, been running both headlights (NOT on high beam) since 1997......

Previously, even with my heated gloves and GPS running also, I would maintain a steady green...

My previous from new Yuasa lasted 9 years so I ASSumed this one will as well.... :goofy:

I found out it does not take much to kill these small Yuasa AGM batteries with just a little neglect. My less than 5 year old battery started dying after I forgot to keep it on the trickle charger for long periods of times during the winter, so it barely turned the starter when I finally got to ride again. that happened about 4 times and it won't hold a strong charge anymore after that. Maybe a good reason for everyone to go with the new Lithium Iron tech batteries as their main feature is their very very slow static discharge rates.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you may have found your problem with your old battery Dutchy, but I have read somewhere that the charging system on the VFR's was really not up to running the high beams all the time. Have you heard that?

The VFR charging system runs WFO all the time and the excess is absorbed by the R/R. Running the high beams lessens the load on the R/R, but it still should have some excess charge even with that. I run high beams and a heated jacket liner in the winter without issues. As a few of my Canadian friends know, I'm cold natured*, so the jacket is often run at its max setting when the temperature gets down to the 40's (4.5-10C) or lower.

*I don't like the cold, but I can ride all day in full leathers with the temps nearing 100 and humidity worthy of a rain forest. :491:

Have you checked/cleaned (soldered) the three yellow wire connector from the stator to the RR? Also , check, clean chassis ground(s) and output from RR to the battery.

GL

Jeff

Betting on the battery as well....possibly caused by the loose cable. Other possibility, if not the battery is your R/R connection...one yellow wire crispy might give the same results...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ah, I guess I owe an update...

It was the too long a bolt I used..... which may be ok in a lady bar (never been to one) but on the terminal it meant the connection was sub-optimum.

With a shorter bolt, they are all snug and no more voltage drops....

Lady bars...... why pay for things you can get for free? :unsure::goofy:

Archived