Later Gen Rear Wheel On Older Gen Bike

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

I need a little help, I tried doing a search but the topic seemed to be a tough one to title as there are too many ways to say it 5th gen wheel, 6th gen wheel, 5Gen Wheel, 6Gen wheel, etc., you get the idea.

Anyway, I was going to help one of fellow VFR owner out and sell him my 5 Gen rear wheel but he has a '95 VFR750, which if I recall has a different rear wheel hub, in which the sprocket/hub bolts are not flush with the side that the rim mounts to. Which means that the back of the 5 Gen wheel will need to be "grooved" where these bolts protrude from.

I figure I can use my 8 spoke as a guide for location and depth but does anyone know for sure if the "grooves" are A) deep enough and B) in the correct location(s) and what would be the best tool to use to make these groves, the best that I have as far as grinding devices is a Dremel and a 1/2" drill motor and a few router bits.

Thanks in advance,

D

Test-fit is all I can say. Sorry.

A 4-1/2" angle grinder would make short work of it. Finish work with the dremel or hand file.

Just don't leave any square corners, be sure they are nicely radiused as stress cracks are more likely to form anywhere there is a square corner (not just wheels).

• Member Contributer

you mean aside from it being 1/2" too wide?

You are talking about rim width not the section that mounts to the hub correct? It's been a while since I've seen the '95 up close, is that 1/2" going to be an issue? He already has a 180/55/17 tire mounted, prior to that, the "tire guy" made a mistake and mounted a 190 onto his stock rim and he did not notice that until we pointed it out to him.

• Member Contributer

yeah, just the rim width.

If he is already running a 180 and has had a 190 mounted then proceed as planned.

Cool, I'll have him come over tomorrow then and worst case scenario, I'll have "trimmed" a wheel.

Thanks Guys,

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I think I found the deal breaker. The 8 spoke wheel has a smaller diameter spoke than the 5 spoke wheel. The spokes on the 8 spoke wheel do not terminate all the way to the edge of the hub like the 5 spokes do, so if you were to cut out the notches in order to clear the bolts, you would be doing so on the spoke itself so to speak (see bottom photo). It's possible that cutting at this location may not affect the integrity of the wheel, but neither of us wanted to take a chance on that. That being said, anyone need a 5 Gen wheel?

Here's the 8 spoke as looking from the hub side.

post-23057-0-82853900-1379641367.jpg

Here's the 5 spoke, same point of view.

post-23057-0-63896600-1379641375.jpg

Here's the 8 spoke showing where the spoke terminates at the center of the hub

post-23057-0-76336900-1379641383.jpg

Here's the same point of view for the 5 spoke.

post-23057-0-08190600-1379641391.jpg

• Member Contributer

Figured it was possible and it wouldn't be compromising the wheel but he wasn't comfortable with it and I really didn't want to do it unless he was committed. That being said, it looks like this guy used an axe to make those notches!

• Member Contributer

Figured it was possible and it wouldn't be compromising the wheel but he wasn't comfortable with it and I really didn't want to do it unless he was committed. That being said, it looks like this guy used an axe to make those notches!

Better be 100% sure when it comes to rear rims...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAS11mkwXbY

I never read conclusively what caused this...

• Member Contributer

it was a RACE ONLY wheel.

aka pushing the limits on what it can take..thats why they get paid the big bucks.

far lighter than a stock vfr road tested and approved rim.

if you notice.. the SPOKES all had broke.. not the bolt area at the center. :comp13: