E*ba*y Seat Cover For Vf1000R?

86VF1000R

• Member Contributer

With a hair dryer, $5 of vinyl from a fabric store, a staple gun and a pair of scissors you can recover your seat much nicer than an aftermarket cover. It really doesn't take long.

IMG_4892Small.jpg

IMG_4897Small.jpg

Send it to Sargent in Florida, they will recover it however you like. Many different types of coverings, and colours to choose from.

Another good idea- they do good work. However, project scope creep last latched on, and if there's any way I save some pennies doing small bits myself I'm happy to spend the time. I just wish my paint work was better.

• Member Contributer

you need a GOOD staple gun.. a hair dryer. and your choice of vinyl. and a flat blade small screw driver and plyers to remove staples.

get something that cost about 10 bucks a yard.

staple the front of the seat first.. as that has a more rounded edge .

next.. PULL that fabric back onto the back edge of the seat. staple it!

the seat should almost be bowing..

next. flip the seat bottom up.

staple ONE side 1 staple about every inch and 1/2

grab the fabric on the other side. heat it up with a moving hair dryer.. dont focus on one spot..

PULL the fabric and staple with very little gap in the staples. complete the whole side..

now UNDO the 1st side and heat and pull and staple it!.

you may need to undo a spot or 2 to heat and stretch and restaple.. when you are done trim off the excess.

• Member Contributer

One additional trick that works for me is to do it outdoors on a sunny day. Leave the cover lying in the sun for a bit and the vinyl will soften up a lot and be a lot more pliable for the rounded areas.

• Member Contributer

I bought one of the eBay covers, it did not come with the bumper cover...

I bought Vinyl for the bumper and enough to redo the seat, since they didn't match up.

instructions above are spot on and reflect what came with the cover, except I didn't have to undo one side, worked back and forth and skipped every other staple, then went back and filled in.

a GOOD staple gun is a must! mine seemed a little week and I had to reshoot 1 out of every 3 staples. :mad:

Archived