Delkevic 14" Stainless- '98 5Th Gen

PirateRiderBen

Been about a month and 1000 miles since ordering a 14" stainless steel slip-on system for my 5th gen. :wheel: Initially they sent me the wrong connecting pipe but customer service was excellent and I received the correct part in just a few short days. Took me around 30 min to take the old pipe off and swap for the new one. Sound is fantastic really has a throaty rumble below 4k and just screams when you open her up. Came with a slip in baffle, but who needs that? :laughing6-hehe: for $180.00 shipped, really can't go wrong! In my expert opinion :pinocchio: I'd say I saved about 8-10 pounds over stock. I'm sure there's something better, but then again we don't all have $7,492,347.69 to spend on a Leo Vince or Two Brothers pipe. I would buy again for sure. 8/10 stars :fing02:

-Benny

post-27973-0-49241800-1375385261.jpg

• Member Contributer

I swapped a staintune hi mount for the same Delki as yours so it had some big shoes to fill. Not nearly as well made or sweet sounding as the staintune but did not dissapoint. I put the extra baffle in mine and have found it plenty loud but not irritating that way. After about a year it is getting louder and may need repacking soon. Think mine is 16" length. Finish has held up great and I put in a lot of miles in all sorts of weather. IMO stainless and Ti are the best materials for an exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a friend who is considering purchasing a 14" Delkevic for his 5th gen and he was wondering what it sounds like and how loud the pipe is. My 5th gen has an 18" Delkevic and I have sent him a video of my bike running so that he can hear the sound but he was wondering if their was a difference in sound between the 14 and 18 inch pipes, other than looks. Would either of you guys be able to post up a sound clip or a video with the bike running and up to temp. If you can't post up a sound clip (I have had no end of troubles doing this) perhaps you could email a sound clip. PM me if you would prefer to email the clip and I'll send you an email address.

The only problem I'm having with with the Delki is the connector pipe. After a month, it started turning a brass color, now it has a lot of dark spots (some as big as 2") on it. Anybody else have this problem? The muffler itself still looks good and sounds great.

• Member Contributer

Any stainless will change color over time at exhaust temps... it's normal. Can't help with the spots though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a friend who is considering purchasing a 14" Delkevic for his 5th gen and he was wondering what it sounds like and how loud the pipe is. My 5th gen has an 18" Delkevic and I have sent him a video of my bike running so that he can hear the sound but he was wondering if their was a difference in sound between the 14 and 18 inch pipes, other than looks. Would either of you guys be able to post up a sound clip or a video with the bike running and up to temp. If you can't post up a sound clip (I have had no end of troubles doing this) perhaps you could email a sound clip. PM me if you would prefer to email the clip and I'll send you an email address.

Any info yet on the sound difference between a 14 and 18 inch?

• Member Contributer

I haven't had anyone send me a link with their bike running a 14" stainless Delkevic but I have found a few videos of people running a 14" Carbon Fibre Delkevic on YouTube. I could send you a video of my bike running with the 18" Delkevic. Just send me the email address if you are interested.

The only problem I'm having with with the Delki is the connector pipe. After a month, it started turning a brass color, now it has a lot of dark spots (some as big as 2") on it. Anybody else have this problem? The muffler itself still looks good and sounds great.

There's a product called "Blue Away" that you can use to polish away the blue and black spots from stainless steel header pipes. I used it on my Honda Hawk's headers years ago with success, but I had to re-do it periodically as the spotting and darkening of the SS pipes eventually comes back after some time. I think some grades of stainless steel suffer more from this heat darkening than other grades of SS. The Staintune high right pipe on my bike has stayed nice and bright since I installed it on my 4th Gen way back in around 97.....

Archived