Where Does Your Clutch Grab?

VFRXX

Currently I'm on a 01 creeping up on 40000 miles. I've owned 3 VFR's and 2 XX's so I'm familiar with how a hydraulic clutch works. Yesterday was the first time I really noticed that my clutch is grabbing waaaaay out. Like in the last 1/2 inch. Its not slipping, or chattering but I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced their clutch disks @ 40k and what they looked like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I know what you mean. I have a 2K and mine does exactly the same thing. I had a '90 and don't remember the clutch being that way, but it was several years in between both bikes. Honestly, that is probably my biggest gripe. The engagement doesn't seem very linear and there ia a whole bunch of lever travel that does nothing and then its engaged. It still catches me every once in a while. I would be interested to know if disks would fix that or its the nature of the beast.

Keep us posted.

That's why many prefer cable actuated clutches more than hydraulic ones as the action on the former is usually more linear/progressive. Lots of things can affect hydraulic clutch action like air in the lines or leaks in the master cylinder or hydraulic line degeneration/flex. You never have such problems with a cable actuated clutch Only thing that affects it is wear and maybe glazing of the clutch plates, which are possible problems for all clutch systems anyway.....

• Member Contributer

I've had three 5th gens, an '01, a y2k, then another '01; in that order. The clutch take-up was different for each one. One was nearly all the way out, one was nearly all the way to the handgrip and one was somewhere in between. When I brought this up with the service tech at my local dealer he said something like they tend to be different and any adjustments do not make a difference. Basically, what you have is what you've got.

The first '01 was nearly to the grip and was constant from 4,000 mi when I bought it to when it ate a deer at 105,xxx. None of the machines have ever had clutch work, at least to my knowledge.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if changing the M/C to a smaller diameter would do the trick? I don't know if thats even an optionin terms of availibility but if it was then in theory, it would take more lever travel to disengage/engage the clutch thus giving the perception of a more linear actuation.

Archived