Advice On Bike Bags

TNRabbit

I've been looking at these Joe Rocket tank/rear bags to carry my "stuff" as it's a PITA wearing a backpack in this heat:

418OwhKiwPL.jpg

21WAaDE6%2BQL.jpg

Not that I'm a particular Joe Rocket fan, but the quality seems to be good for the price & I liked the style.

Can anyone recommend some better/best quality gear?

I find it a battle between not enough space, and big enough to interfere with the handlebars.

Looks like you won"t be having that issue, though I would ask if you want a pocket big enough for maps...

I find it a battle between not enough space, and big enough to interfere with the handlebars.

Looks like you won"t be having that issue, though I would ask if you want a pocket big enough for maps...

Not worried about maps; mostly use my Smartphone. I'm not really looking for something huge; just to store a few essentials and some spare tools. One of the reasons I decided on a tank AND tail bag was to reduce the size of each bag. Don't plan on regular passengers & feel the back of the seat is an unused spot for storage.I also like the sloped nature of the tank bag, which still gives you some space to get down for the occasional high-speed blast~

I have that EXACT tank bag and like it a lot. I use it all the time. It's small enough that it doesn't interfere with the handlebars (I do have helibars), yet big enough to carry a few things. The top clear pocket is big enough to hold a small GPS, about 5 inches. It's not waterproof, but it is water resistant. I've gotten caught in the rain with and with not issues. The water won't get in unless it's a heavy downpour. If you can hold off on buying, I'll be home by Monday and can post up some pics as to what it looks like on the bike, and with some stuff inside for comparison.

I have that EXACT tank bag and like it a lot. I use it all the time. It's small enough that it doesn't interfere with the handlebars (I do have helibars), yet big enough to carry a few things. The top clear pocket is big enough to hold a small GPS, about 5 inches. It's not waterproof, but it is water resistant. I've gotten caught in the rain with and with not issues. The water won't get in unless it's a heavy downpour. If you can hold off on buying, I'll be home by Monday and can post up some pics as to what it looks like on the bike, and with some stuff inside for comparison.

I'm in no hurry; thanks!

Bags Connection Daypack or Engage models are pretty cool

phpqQutqE.jpg. phpKeRQLr_1.jpg

How do those attach? one of the things I like about that Joe Rocket bag is that it is magnetic and has a shoulder strap for carry.

• Member Contributer

I've been using a Joe Rocket Manta XL for 5 years. Not the same bag, but the workmanship and durability have been A+++. I recently got something else, because the lack of a map pocket was driving me nutz.

I'm keeping the Manta, just in case I really don't need the map pocket.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I went with the GIVI Tanklock system. I have the TPH02 (now 3D601) and the T480 and have been very happy with both. The smaller bag (TPH02) carries just enough for quick trips and the larger bag (T480) is great for work gear and/or long trips. Since both bags use the same mounting ring, all I need to do is clip on which ever bag I'm taking for the day.

http://giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system

I've had the regular size Joe Rocket Manta tank bag for a few years now and it's been great. I've thought about the larger version, but I already have a 'touring' tank bag, too. I think JR luggage is decent for the money. Nelson-Rigg bags are usually good values, too.

If you're like most of us, you'll end up with a few of these things lying around - using each for a different purpose or type of ride. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed ne of the new 18liter cortech bags a few weeks ago. It was really nice, lots of space, good shape, very sturdy! not cheap thought, I think they are about $100.

• Member Contributer

Good quality bags are priceless.....

Bought a set of Held early 90's and they held :-) up great. Since I bought panniers I sold the bags a few weeks ago for 40 bucks.....

• Member Contributer

Like Red Runner, I use the Bags Connection tank bags, I have two different sizes and I find the powered attachment system to be very convenient and it prevents scratches. They are well finished inside and out, and have held up well. Twisted Throttle is a good vendor to work with.

Rick

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've used the Joe Rocket Manta - one thing to keep in mind with magnetic mounts: they might interfere with electronics and/or watches. If I put my watch in the tank bag, it got out of adjustment. It's a watch with both analog hands and a digital readout, and the analog hands would get out of sync with the digital watch. It took me a while to figure out what was causing that 2-3 minutes drift each day. When I stopped putting it in the tank bag, it magically stopped. :)

I would also be careful of anything with a hard drive in it, like some of the bigger iPods.

Archived