Bringing A 86 Vfr700 Back To Life

Guest hikingslo

Guest hikingslo

Hello everybody! Just picked up a 86 vfr700 the other day that has been sitting for the most part for the last 2 years. It runs when given throttle but dies when goes to idle, shouldn't be a big deal getting it going again. Having problems finding parts in particular new cowls etc. Any ideas on where I can find new plastics? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

New plastics are pretty much out of the question, best bet is to repair/restore what you have and buy used for what can't be fixed and do the same to those. Not idling would most likely be the low speed circuit in the carbs, tear 'em down and clean them out good, it'll probably run like new.

Thanks for the info on the plastics I was hoping for better news though:). I'm going to clean the carbs next week also just a little rust in the tank. I will take care of that while its off. Should be ridimg by next weekend. Thanks again!

AirTech makes replacement fibreglass fairings, but be prepared to modify them, as they are race only application.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VFR7501986-88.htm

Maier used to make replacement fairings in ABS, but their website is down, I don't know if they are out of business or what???

• Member Contributer

AIRTEC SUCKS!!!!
SUCK! SUCK SUCK! BY GOLLY THEY SUCK!!
NEVER EVER EVER buy airtec!!! THEY SUCK !!!!
they take forever to arrive!!!
the stuff shipped from hong kong shows up faster!!
they arrive broken 1/2 the time and they will NOT send you a new one..nor do they stand behind their products! :pissed:

the only way i would get airtec is if the ONLY choice in the world to get what i REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT...then reinforce the crap with more seaglass mat on the inside. :angry:

in other words.. unless your willing to give up girls for the rest of your life to get a perfect vfr.. dont buy airtec.

so.. did i make my feelings clear enough??? :huh:
buy a plastic welder from harbor freight and practice!

did i mention airtech sucks??

• Member Contributer

Hikingslo,

I too have an 86 700 and have some info that might prove valuable, especially for carb parts. He may have a link here but I don't remember. Contact Billy Carr, 20706 Hwy 19s, Canton, Tx 75103. His phone is 903-567-1543 and email is billycarrjr@earthlink.net. I got carb kits and hydraulic reservoir sight glasses from him. And he has a wealth of knowledge regarding the older VFRs and V4s in general.

Like the guys have already said, original body parts are practically extinct. Mine came with most of the originals, but in poor condition, plus a set of Beasley fiberglass lowers and front cowl.

I am thinking of parting this one out so if you need something check with me via this forum, PM. Will help if I can. I also have a complete F3 front end and both wheels if you are interested in converting/updating the front suspension. This mod also helps give you better tire selection. Lots of good info here if you dig it out.

Good luck with your project!

Ernie

Thank you for the info. I am going to talk to a friend of mine who owns a custom shop and see what he thinks is salvageable. May only have to replace a couple of pieces left cowl and piece around the headlight. Will let you know what he says. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody got a little side tracked with work and just got to taking the carbs off. bought a manual and followed all the directions but can't get the carbs to lift off and out. loosened the clamps to where they are about to come apart but the carbs just won't budge. any tricks or ideas of something I may be missing on getting these off? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

A 1x4 pine board helps to use as a lever. Just be careful and don't break anything.

Once you get one carb coming out of it's boot, the rest will follow more easily.

A little petroleum jelly on the carbs and inside the boots upon reassembly helps.

Thanks everbody for the advice. I was hoping for a magic trick without having to pry on them. Crossing my fingers I don't break anything! Will update when something happens... good or bad. Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

I use a heat gun and carefully warm up the rubber insulators so that they soften up and become flexible again. Works like a charm.

A little prying got them off without breaking anything thankfully! The boots are shot though all of them are severely cracked. Hopefully they are still being made. Anybody know for sure? Also since the bike had been sitting awhile should I just go ahead and rebuild the carbs while I have them out or just a thorough cleaning? Thanks again for the input!

I ordered fresh boots for mine about 3 years ago, so you should be able to find them. If by "thorough cleaning" you mean pulling the float bowls and diaphragm caps and removing jets, needles, slides, etc, then yes, a thorough cleaning should be fine. Make sure you keep all the items organized by which carb they came out of, and put them back accordingly. I wouldn't bother separating the bodies and linkages though, as long as the fuel passages are clear and the throttle/choke linkages aren't sticking.

As for plastics, the only other input I can offer is this: There's a guy, Chuck Crites of Cobalt Racing, who used to make really nice fiberglass bodywork for that bike. I lusted after those parts for the years I had mine, but I just checked the site and it looks like he isn't making them anymore. Might be worth putting a search alert on your ebay account though, I have seen them pop up on there every once in a while.

You're gonna make me wish I hadn't sold my '86. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Just don't take the carbs off the manifold. I just did a half rebuild. Boiled the jets in lemon juice. New float needles/needle seats/screens, checked everything out, set the floats, checked the slides and put it all back together.

I'd also submerge your floats to make sure they aren't leaking, but that's all I'd do. Just a good inspection, cleaning and adjustment more or less.

• 2 months later...

Archived