6Th Gen St Windscreens

The mailman

• Member Contributer

One if the top things I miss from my 4th gen is the National Cycle ST windscreen that I added because it extended my comfortable riding days by hundreds of miles. I'm 6'-0" and 180lbs. I'm looking at either the Zero Gravity St or the Givi ST screens and am just curious about:

*whether yours gave you the protection you were looking for or did the buffeting get worse?

*Was the fitment acceptable?

*Is one brand more succeptable to cracking than the other?

*any other observations.....

I know it's just a damned piece of plastic but at $80 - $125, I want the PERFECT piece of plastic! My last one worked like magic for me. :lurk:

I'm 6'1" and I've tried the stock, zero gravity double bubble and zero gravity sport touring. For long distance touring I use the ZG ST windscreen as it keeps a lot of the wind off but generate considerable buffeting. I haven't found a solution other than standing up on the pegs to get clean air which gets tiring. Haha.

I just picked up an 05 VFR that has a zero gravity screen on it. I an 6'2, 175lbs. I've only put 1,000 miles on her so far, but I have not noticed any buffeting at all. I can tuck just a little and feel absolutely nothing. However, I prefer to ride with a normal riding stance. I have noticed some helmets make a difference too. I have a lower model shoei that I like.

I have ridden a 2000 Honda shadow for 10 years with no windscreen and thoroughly enjoyed the clean air. On the other spectrum, I had a Suzuki V Strom that nearly made me brain dead from the buffeting.

I hope someone has some experience with the Givi for you, but I enjoy the zero gravity.

• Member Contributer

I have been very happy with my MRA Vario screen. The adjustability is very convenient. On hot days when riding around town, its nice to be able to put the screen in its lowest position. At its highest, I do not get any buffeting. I am a bit shorter than you, so your result may vary...

they aren't cheap but you said you wanted the perfect screen.

IF you can get past the looks, the Laminar Lip Touring model is great for me. I am 6'2" and it is better than stock or the ZG sport touring shield. No buffeting at all.

• Member Contributer

My bike had stock Honda with Laminar Lip and a Givi when I bought it. I have switched back and forth a few times and have left the stock with lam lip on. Quite a bit of buffeting for me either way above 60mph. Midlife on here has the Vario mounted UPSIDE DOWN on a stock screen and said it works well for him.

• Member Contributer

I have the GIVI touring screen on my '09 but I can't tell you the difference between the stock fairing, I put it on so long ago I forgot what the stock fairing was like. I put the fairing on almost right when I got the bike and have been happy with it ever since, it seems to push the wind up a little higher than just under the chin. I'm 5'8" and have stock foot pegs, but I do have heli-bars and a Sargent seat if that helps with your inquiry. As far as fitment, the unit just slipped right on, no fussing or cursing, the quality appears to be top notch.

I bought a used ZG double bubble from another VFRD member several years ago and tried it for a short time. The fitment wasn't perfect and I couldn't tell that much difference from the stock screen, so I went back to the stocker. I'm tempted to try another screen, but I know I'll always be OK with the stock windshield.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ofcski

I am impressed by my MRA Vario Touring. I am taller and love the fact that I get very little buffeting with the visor raised. The smoke color looks the best.

several years ago I tried both the regular and the tall laminar lips, both pretty much crap with negative effects. The tall one made me want to throw up from google eyed buffeting, and the shorter one was noisy, and cross winds provided negative effects.

Pretty much stuck to stock afterwards. also I still have cracks in my stock shild from the added wind pressure the laminar lips put on my shield.

Edited by spud786

I tried the ZG ST and while it did make a difference in getting me into some calm air, but I just couldn't get over the looks. To my mind it gave the bike a Vstrom-type look. I have seen some Honda OE taller screens, offered on sites over in Europe, but they are over 200 bones. I've switched back to my OE screen for local riding, but if I go on a long distance I switch to the ZG. I don't like the fact that the ZG attaches with less hardware than the OE. Makes it very flimsy IMHO.

ZG touring for the cold weather and back to stock when it warms up. The touring screen takes the wind off my shoulders and reduces long distance fatigue somewhat. I've got to keep my head up as high as possible to keep the buffeting to a minimum. (5'10" 170lbs.)

On the flip side the stock screen allows upper body support due to wind pressure.

Overall I prefer the stock, but after a COLD tour around Newfoundland the first year I had the bike I added the touring screen for early season touring.

Brian

Edited by DDO-VFR