Teknic Vs Cortech

Guest bhofmeister

Guest bhofmeister

http://www.cortechperformance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=387&cat=25

vs.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/teknic-chicane-leather-jacket

Has anyone owned both of these or have good experience with one or the other? Considering the huge sale on Teknic gear, for reasons good or bad, these two jackets are virtually identical prices. This leads to the decision - which would be better for the coming 110+ weather here in Oklahoma (but last me through the other seasons as well)?

Hard to beat leather for road rash protection, but hear some man made materials do really well.

Much wider weather spread with the textile jacket. Both are decent quality, I have Cortec Leather for one outfit.

BR

• Member Contributer

Leather is indeed tough to beat as far as actual protection goes.

I have heard good things about Cortech but have never actually owned any of their products. I have however owned and absolutely love the Teknic gear I have had or currently have (boots, jackets and gloves).

I was actually looking at the exact same jacket today but they unfortunately no longer have smaller sizes.

FYI, rumor is that Teknic went out of business for whatever reason (this would be why it seems to be on sale everywhere). Their website no longer seems to work so that pretty much settles that I guess. This really sucks as they were making great quality and great looking gear.

• Member Contributer

I got a new textile set from Cortech last year to replace my aging First Gear set. I wound up selling the Cortech gear because of a "funky fit" that I didn't pick up on when I bought them.

Jacket = fit arm length & shoulders well but the neck opening was much too wide. Even when I closed the collar as tight as adjustments would allow, it let in too much air. great for warm days - not so great in cooler weather.

Pants = fit in the waist and length but were too "balloonish" on my legs. Think armored parachute pants from the 80's!

Over all quality seemed very good, just a goofy fit so I'm back in my First Gear set that feels like it was custom tailored for me.

I'm 6'-0" and 180 lbs.

between the two brands they are basically the same in material used. Cortech is a good brand, Teknic is also good but a bit better known imho...but not now as they are no longer a company.

I have Cortech perforated leather jacket and leather pants also gauntlets. Love them. Excellent fit(for me) and first class quality at a really good price. I have no experience with Teknic. I also have several pieces of Cortech luggage, same story.

• Member Contributer

As Scott mentioned, Teknic is no longer in business, but you might find a better deal on them now, if not soon, as most Teknic dealers will be blowing their inventory out. All this means is that you won't have any warranty on what you buy, it'll be like "as-is". It does not make the gear any less good, it just means if you have an issue, there won't be any manufacturer to back it up. I have had a few Teknic items and have found them to be pretty good quality, I have not owned any Cortech but I have heard good things about them.

• Member Contributer

http://www.cortechperformance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=387&cat=25

vs.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/teknic-chicane-leather-jacket

Has anyone owned both of these or have good experience with one or the other? Considering the huge sale on Teknic gear, for reasons good or bad, these two jackets are virtually identical prices. This leads to the decision - which would be better for the coming 110+ weather here in Oklahoma (but last me through the other seasons as well)?

The Perf jacket is going to be worthless "through the other seasons" so with that being said get the Cortech.

Regarding the high temp riding. I use my Cortech gear at the track, which in SoCal means in the desert. The sessions are run in the 80º to 100º+ depending on time of day. I find the perforated gear perfect in these situations. I bought an Xelement brand mesh type jacket for day to day summer riding to save wear and tear on the Leather gear. It is armored and very comfortable as well as lighter than the leather. Also it was inexpensive. I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket, Atomic 5.0 model, for the rest of the year. Very comfortable, rugged(I had another one, Reactor 5.0, I rode for 5 years and was able to sell it for $60 it held up so well) and also reasonably priced.

I have the cortech GX Air 2 mesh jacket that is very similar to the cortech you have listed. I have had this jacket for 2 years now and use it year round in AZ. Leather panels cover the back, elbows, and shoulders for good abrasion resistance. All of the armor is CE approved along with the back. It has 2 liners that form 3 layers which makes a good year round jacket for most areas. It has a wind and water proof liner along with a insulated winter jacket liner. The jacket has held up well and I have ridden in 117-30 degrees outside either commuting or just leisure riding.

• Member Contributer

I have a Teknic Mesh Jacket that I have worn for several years. No complaints, CE armor through out. I am a long waisted guy 5'8" and 180 lbs. The only cortech product are my boots. No issues with quality there, either. Unfortunately, with motorcycle gear fit is very personal. I would take a very close look at return policies on the Teknic gear before I bought it over the 'net.

Wow, long day and I apparently don't have notifications set up.... I thought no one cared <sniff sniff> - Thanks for all the great replies!

So I guess the main issue is going to be fit, as both jackets have several votes for them. I went by Cycle Gear here in OKC today with my lovely wife, but they don't sell either brand. There is only one other place I know that sells street apparel, but they weren't open today. Does anyone else live in the OKC area that could tell me where to I could try one (or both) of these jackets on for fit?...

Out of the ones I tried today, the Bilt Trackstar in size 46 and the Sedici Rapido in size 44 were the best fits. Maybe that could tell me which of these jackets might fit better? Any of you that have owned Bilt or Sedici jackets as well that could give a comparison in fit?

I think this is the hardest part of getting into a bike so far... sheesh...

• Member Contributer

I have Teknic gear jacket and pants and have enjoyed the quality and fit over the years. Can get a bit warm on hot days but not to the point that it takes away from the joys of riding. Sorry to hear they are going under as a company. Good luck with your decision and purchase!

• Member Contributer

Good luck finding any motorcycle shops in the Okc area that has anything worth buying, or much of a selection.

Brandon, your best chance will be Shawnee Honda, if you rather not buy Bilt. If your happy with Bilt, then cycle gear has the largest selection.

• Member Contributer

What hasn't been mentioned is what body type you are. If you are slim, the leather jacket will fit well. If you are "stocky" then you are going to get a better fit with textile jackets...

I wouldn't say I am stocky, but I am most definitely not slim either. 5'10" and 200lbs, but I wear it pretty well, lol (i.e. I can suck it in). The line between leather and textile doesn't seem to be as concrete as those two categories make it seem - a lot of the jackets I tried on I am not even sure which category they would fall in, as they had mesh and leather combos.

I will try Shawnee Honda, probably this weekend, and I saw that Maxey's has a few Cortech jackets that I want to go try out. A really cool looking Army jacket too, actually.

As an update, I found a great fitting textile jacket from Tour Master (Intake 3.0 specifically) at Oklahoma Honda in Del City. They had a much better selection than Shawnee Honda, surprisingly. I have to wait until Wednesday or so before they get a red version in large, but the blue one fit like a glove. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

Archived