Picture Request - Two Brothers High Mount 5Th Gen

marriedman

Hey guys - I snagged a Two Brothers high mount for cheap. It's the old style carbon fiber one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181148846289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was literally just the midpipe, springs, and can. I was fitting it on my bike and it seems to be too close to a lot of things. Would one of you who has this exhaust please post some close ups of:

Where is connects to the collector

centerstand stop

Passenger footpeg area

Whatever mounting solution you came up with!

I have found plenty of pictures with this exhaust, but not closeups. I am probably going to keep my Delkevic low mount for touring duties so I don't have to modify the mounting kit and just swap out the cans as needed.

Thanks in advance!

i think that might be part of the two brothers full system and not be designed to slip on to the factory header. just a guess though.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. This seller is pretty cool - he and I have been emailing back and forth several times now. I'll ask if he had a full 2 bros system.

• Member Contributer

I went back to ebay and clicked through to the original add and pic, it looks just like the TBR carbon can that I took off of my 2001 and put on my cousins 2000 VFR.

There should be a clamp that goes just below the centerstand bumper that cinches the pipe to the stock exhaust outlet...everything else looks right

• Member Contributer

Here's the hanger that came with the full system. I assume the slip on would be similar? IIRC, I had the drill that hole through the subframe for the hanger.

IMG_9100Medium.jpg

IMG_8986Medium_zps44c71565.jpg

Damn vfrcapn - that exhaust looks great. Powder coated?

The hanger did not come with mine, so there is the first thin I am going to need to get. Do you remember what size hole you drilled? Any preference on the bolt used?

I also realized that this can is pretty long. Did you need to cut the fender to allow room for it?

• Member Contributer

The pipes are the TBros SS, just hand polished and cleaned up.

I have some instructions around somewhere, I'll dig them up. No need to cut the fender.

The seller sent me the bracket he had on his bike, it is no where near as beefy as the in your picture vfrcapn. Also, he had 5 washers instead of a spacer - and even then they did not give as much space as yours. So I am going to go out on a limb and say that your sticks out much further than his and that may explain why he had to cut his fender. Can you tell me the size spacer and length bolt you used?

Also, did you use a jig to drill the hole for this?

• Member Contributer

Yes, they're the old Harris, picked up years ago.

I'd have to pull the tail to measure the bits. Mine came with the bracket, no spacer or bolt. As I recall tbros expected you to drill one side of the subframe rail and tap it. I just drilled all the way through and made up a spacer & bolt. No jig, hand drill.

Ok, so this doesn't sound too difficult. I just wanted more information than what I started with. Sounds like I just need get out there and do it. Wiggle things around until I get it to fit.

Thanks for all the info everyone, especially you vfrcapn. I may post on here again if I run into snags.

OK, I lied. I just had my first chance to get in the garage (10:30 at night!) and took the seat off to look at the rear subframe and fairing to see what kind of clearance I would have. Well... uh... I don't. The wheel well I guess you would call it meets up nicely with the rear fairing. So there has to be some cutting involved.

Looks like an excuse to buy a dremel to me.

• Member Contributer

Here ya go: http://static.chaparral-racing.com/Resources/documents/pdf%5C215-005-820406M-Install.pdf

Two Bros install instructions for the low and high mount slip on. They say an 8mm hole all the way through the subframe rail, which is about what I did, and drill through the fender too. They do mention notching the fender and rear cowl on the outside around the bracket.

OK - I got the think mounted and looking pretty good. It's not lined up the way I wanted, but I really don't see a way to change it. The can touches the mud-flap and license portion of the fender. But it is carbon fiber so it shouldn't get hot enough to melt it.

post-25220-0-03016000-1371267841.jpg

post-25220-0-02428300-1371267867.jpg

post-25220-0-04200600-1371267894.jpg

post-25220-0-92860900-1371267921.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks good. They are long aren't they? I was looking at mine last weekend and thinking I could shorten it 5-6 inches or maybe more...

• Member Contributer

I haven't seen it done and I'm not sure what the internal pipe looks like, but drilling out the rivets and cutting the CF should be straightforward. I'd probably tape up the CF and use a dremel to cut it. Cut the inner pipe down, reassemble, drill the rivet holes and use my $10 Harbor Freight rivet gun to reassemble the end cap. I was thinking of repacking it and was looking at removing those ends caps, which led to 'would it look better shorter' debate...

• Member Contributer

Cutting my old Aluminum can back tomorrow. Going to buy a rivet gun and use that to reinstall the end cap. May not directly apply to yours but I will toss a few pics up for you to check out. Too long for me. BTW, I have about 5mm from my back tire.

• Member Contributer

Stole a half hour this morning and 90% done. Install three bolts instead of rivets and a polish, bobs your uncle. Sooo easy. Well, forced back to fathers day brunch and stroll thru Princeton. Write up is later.

Happy fathers day guys

• Member Contributer

Stole a half hour this morning and 90% done. Install three bolts instead of rivets and a polish, bobs your uncle. Sooo easy. Well, forced back to fathers day brunch and stroll thru Princeton. Write up is later.

Happy fathers day guys

See 2 Bros cut back posted

Archived