Name That Tune

UKBIker

?

There's no sound in the video. Is it clicking sound when your bike idles? That's CCT noise. Mine has it. Sometimes a change of oil will keep it quiet for a while. Haven't had the time or inclination to fix mine yet.

Just rechecked the link, I get video and sound. Is there a format I can upload to gallery. Tried .mov and .avi

Im thinking this is internal so I started removing parts. I was hoping someone here might have heard this sound so I wouldn't have to remove the engine.

• Member Contributer

It sounds kinda like an exhaust leak, but maybe a bit more metallic than I'm used to. Did the noise start immediately after you replaced the CCT? Have the headers been removed and reinstalled recently? A bit more background could be helpful.

• Member Contributer

To me, it sounds too metalic for an exhaust leak. Of course different speakers can change the sound. But I'd lean towards something in the cam chain/valve train area. The engine does not have to be removed for that inspection. Maybe a broken valve spring, because I think ours are double sprung.

The noise started during my ride home, I felt some power loss, i thought it sounded like a cam chain tensioner but maybe louder, so i replaced both. noise didnt change at all. compression in all cylinders is within 10psi of each other, vacuum is steady on all cylinders. To remove the valve springs on the rear cylinder i think the engine has to be removed. I also wondering if it is big eng bearings.

• Member Contributer

Your link sent me to the mobile site, here's a link for those on a PC, sound works fine for me.

Unfortunately, i'm not good for insight on this... but I do fix links!

Got it out this morning, rear head off. Need a valve spring compressor small enough to work on these valves, anyone in the Jacksonville Florida area have one or give me a idea on which one to buy?

post-25573-0-62247800-1370820775.jpg

post-25573-0-89024000-1370820789.jpg

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

After a complete teardown the problem was found, the bigend bearing on cylinder 3 had spun damaging both rod and crank. I was surprized to see that the main bearings were also worn and would need replacing, Only 70000 miles on this engine and the oil/filter is changed every 3000 miles!!

Its taken up untill now for all but one part to get to me from honda (almost two months), the engine case main bolts are on gallatic back order.

post-25573-0-01633400-1375399693.jpg

post-25573-0-72826000-1375399707.jpg

Wow, a rarely seen VFR engine major breakdown.

Sorry to see it, hope the last parts come in soon for ya. :warranty:

Archived