New Fairings/color Change For Vfr1200

Just a question to anyone who has attempted a total fairing color change on the VFR 1200? Found some really decent websites selling every color produced for VFR and contemplating making the swap from red to black. Any thoughts or experiences from persons who have tried it? $829 doesn't seem too bad for a reversible paint job.

Here is on of the links for the aftermarket suppliers

http://www.nicecycle.com/VFR-1200-Fairing-s/5941.htm.

Nice find.. But no mention for the tank cover, or is the tank metal and has to be replaced as a unit.. Sorry don't know don't have the bike yet

• Member Contributer

I did a whole fairing paint over. If you went the web site route, you would still be keeping the silver and only really changing the color of the sides, fender, and top front. To do those pieces cost me $600, and the paint quality was 100% better than Honda's factory paint.

To paint the whole bike including the silver and back panels, it ran $900 to make it a custom paint job.

I called the local Honda dealer to see who they recommended. Got a guy who all the dealers recommend. Works out of his house and knows all about painting motorcycles.

I decided to powder coat my wheels and rotors to complete the picture. Powder coat was and extra $250

$1150 all together was worth it to me. The moroon color of my 10' got to me after a year, and changed it to a pure white. After 2 years of it being white, wanted some color, so I turned the silver to blue. I really liked the white/silver, but I feel something that is soooo much fun desires a nice color to it.

Forgot to add: aftermarket panels fit ok at best. The vfr1200 panels are puzzled together very precisely. Can only imagine the hell you'd go thru trying to fit those.

Nice find.. But no mention for the tank cover, or is the tank metal and has to be replaced as a unit.. Sorry don't know don't have the bike yet

I was gonna go black on black so the tank shouldnt be a problem. The silver is a minor concern. So the aftermarket fairings line up poorly? Good to know

• Member Contributer

That link looks like Auctmart fairings just sold under another name. The holes will not line up and they are no where near OEM quality.

Either paint your bike or order OEM fairings.

OEM fairings are relatively inexpensive for the VFR1200. I remember looking into it and adding it all up to a little over $1000. I was more interested in just a color change, so the silver trim pieces will be reused. For that, it would be just 5 pieces:

L & R tank covers

L & R middle fairings

Front nose cover (above headlight)

I believe that was about $700 from one of the online discount parts outlets.

I've already got a carbon fibre front fender, so no need for a color matching one.

Actually, when I did the check a while back, none of the online "microfiche" servers showed the 2012 yet, so I checked the '10 red color. I probably should check again. '12 should be up by now. Never were a big fan of black bike, or car. That blue is nice though.

Haven't tire of the red just yet, but when the time comes, I may pick a nice bright automotive color. Both Lamborghini and Lexus have pearl yellows I like a lot.

3483951491_c66ae0c24b_z.jpg

2012_lexus_lfa.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the education on why to stay away from aftermarket fairings. The price must have come down on the OEM ones cuz the last time i checked they were not cheap at all. Thanks for saving me some aggravation and hassle. I have no doubt that the aftermarkets were chinese or korean knock offs that were non-refundable. Not worth the hassle. Thanks much

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Before buying any OEM fairings check with Keith at Mason City Honda; cost +10% to VFRD members.

• 1 year later...

I went the vinyl wrap route for color change. I did it myself the first time but if I ever would do it again I would do vinyl images here in stl. I'm thinking about a chrome wrap next. It's all reversible With wraps.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! Where did you find that picture?! That looks great! I love the RWB color schemes but I could not imagine the 1200 in it. I would love to see some more pictures of that bike.

Archived