• Member Contributer

Thanks. I live in Bucharest, so I'm at about 280 km away from Transfagarasan.

That is so cool! If I lived that close, I would be there every other weekend as long as the road wasn't closed for winter! :)

That is so cool! If I lived that close, I would be there every other weekend as long as the road wasn't closed for winter! :)

Yes,it is rather breathtaking to ride on it !........ and, oh, did I mentioned that we just got an even better one ? (Yes ! Even better than TF !). It is called Transalpina and it has fresh asphalt from one side to the other ! :D

Welcome to the asylum. Your bike looks brand new.

Thanks for your welcome ! One could say that I am crazy happy to own an RC36 II :P! And yes, the bike looks like out of the box inside and out! It had some pretty careful pre-owners.... lt still has :) .

sweet ride-- wish i could find cases like that for 2nd gen -- love the red !! :beer:

Thanks a lot. Red is the only colour I cared about for this bike!

• Member Contributer

Yes,it is rather breathtaking to ride on it !........ and, oh, did I mentioned that we just got an even better one ? (Yes ! Even better than TF !). It is called Transalpina and it has fresh asphalt from one side to the other ! :D

Details please!

Details please!

Just realized that I never spent to much time time taking pictures of the road itself due to obvious reasons ... :tour: ....However, the road looks like this :

11twi7c.jpg

2vt5s1y.jpg

And you can read some things about it here : http://romaniatraveldestinations.com/the-transalpina-road-in-romania/

Awesome pics! Thanx for taking the time to show us all a different part of the world. :fing02:

Awaiting next years :warranty:

You are very welcome @cruzinaz ! If you'll plan a trip around these parts you should take into consideration not only the motorhead roads (Transfagarasan,Transalpina,Tihuta Pass, Cheia Pass, Rucar-Bran Pass,etc,etc,etc) but places like the Danube Delta ,Bran Castle (you know - Dracula's place according to Bram Stoker :tongue2: ), Peles Castle, Salina Turda Mines,Vama Veche,Mamaia and I could go on for pages about other amazing places to visit. Roads are getting better and better with every year and people are so hospitable you'll never want to leave :happy: (really, there is a growing number of foreigners that visited Roamnia and decided to stay forever ). My pictures show nothing of these places.

• Member Contributer

I've been to Cluj, Romania, many years ago, to build some houses with Habitat for Humanity. Now that Romania is in the EU, I'm sure it will be even more rapidly developing. Still a bit far away from me, though! Welcome to the forum.

Ciao,

I've been to Cluj, Romania, many years ago, to build some houses with Habitat for Humanity. Now that Romania is in the EU, I'm sure it will be even more rapidly developing. Still a bit far away from me, though! Welcome to the forum.

Ciao,

Cluj is indeed a very nice city. Been there last year for a few very enjoyable days. I heard about Habitat for Humanity. It was a very good program that teached a lot of people about the importance of voluntariate . Thanks a lot !

Welcome! How far away do you live from the Transfăgărășan Highway?

Here a good video of the highway, skip to 06:30 for the start.

http://vimeo.com/8010978

Yup! The video fits the reality of TF...... they made just one small mistake.....they went there with 4 wheels instead of 2 ! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

One of my favorite Top Gear clips. Added the road to my bucket list when that episode first aired a few years ago.

The surface looks really ruff, have they repave it ?

Not entirely. Trying elbow drags is not recomended. Transalpina however is the oposite story in terms of surface.

One of my favorite Top Gear clips. Added the road to my bucket list when that episode first aired a few years ago.
It is here waiting for you ! Plan ahead though. The road is not opened all year round as you know......

• Member Contributer
It is here waiting for you ! Plan ahead though. The road is not opened all year round as you know......

I would like to go in July or August. Ideally, I want to pick up a bike in Europe and leave it in Hungary (family there) when I was done. I figured Budapest to Bucharest for sightseeing and to set up "base camp," and from there some day excursions.

Never thought about the winter, that one pic is in the winter I assume or pre- winter I guess ..

Nope, the 2 pictures (the one showing the road and the one near the snow) are made at middle of June , this year.... :) ....

I would like to go in July or August. Ideally, I want to pick up a bike in Europe and leave it in Hungary (family there) when I was done. I figured Budapest to Bucharest for sightseeing and to set up "base camp," and from there some day excursions.

It sounds like a solid plan ! July/August is just right for the trip.... when you're heading this way please don't be a stranger. PM me and perhaps I'll be able to meet up for some rides .

• Member Contributer

Never thought about the winter, that one pic is in the winter I assume or pre- winter I guess ..

Nope, the 2 pictures (the one showing the road and the one near the snow) are made at middle of June , this year.... :) ....

It sounds like a solid plan ! July/August is just right for the trip.... when you're heading this way please don't be a stranger. PM me and perhaps I'll be able to meet up for some rides .

Most certainly! I've been idly planning it for a couple of years now. Once I figure bike logistics, it's game on! :)

• 4 months later...

Archived