My Friends Lil 250Cc

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Guest VF500FInterceptor

I need your advice. My friend got a 07 250cc Honda Rebel, and she wants a little bit more top end power so that she can do better on the freeway. What would be the best sprocket configuration to achieve this?

• Member Contributer

That is going to be a tough putt. Gearing that drops rpm on the freeway is also going to lessen perceived power. More perceived power will result in higher RPMs, noise, vibration, etc.

Depending on how much slabbin she does, a bigger bike maybe a more realistic option.

I dont mean to be rude or anything, but i have been there, looking for more power on a 250cc bike is just expensive and worthless... those small bikes were made for around town. your friend thinks she needs more power. its time to move on to a bigger bike.

• Member Contributer

You can either lower highway rpm or give better acceleration with a gearing change. Bigger rear will give better acceleration. I don't really know if a smaller rear or larger front will guarantee an increase in top speed.

If she is doing a lot of highway, maybe she should consider trading up to a 500 if it's in budget.

Guest VF500FInterceptor

LOL, weeelllllll I had told her to go with a 500cc initially because 250cc is just to small but she didn't listen well. She is very small and is afraid the bike itself is to big for her. (She was looking at a Honda CX500). She doesn't need much "get up and go" power, she just wants to be able to hit freeway speeds. But if this is not possible I will just give her a "HA! TOLD YA SO!" and move on.

Now what options do I have for my 500cc? I know I know I need a bigger bike, but it IS NOT in the budget for a long time. I am going to be going back to college her in the next few months. (Moving to cali).

Edited by VF500FInterceptor

• Member Contributer

after some asshat stole my vfr while i was in AZ for mmi.. i got myself a rebel for $500..

and WOW!!!!!

after putting the smallest sprocket possible that little baby FLEW up and down rt17!!!!

and it was SOOOO smooth.

being deaf. i i swear the motor died at 75mph.. but then i realized i was STILL passing people. :cool:

not sure what the top speed was, but i was beating all the car traffic :happy:

the rebel has different rear sprocket sizes for various years.. get the smallest. and a 1 or 2 tooth larger front sprocket.

Guest VF500FInterceptor

well I was thinking about giving it a little more low end, but I am worried about losing to much top end. Sorry should have mentioned that. Is this a bad idea?

Also I should mention that I do mostly in town riding. But I also want to be able to do some freeway riding if I want.

• Member Contributer

A smaller rear sprocket will give you less acceleration, not more. Same thing with going bigger in the front. If you do them both, you will have very slow acceleration on the freeway.

Guest VF500FInterceptor

This is in regards to the Rebel, ya? thats good to know so maybe a little larger in the rear?

if she likes the 250 she should get the new ninja 300 or 250 or the new CBR 250.

all much more capable of higher highway speed and accelerating better then the Rebel

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

SV650 or Kaw 500 twin

My first bike was a Kawi 500 Ltd. It's really a standard, but I guess some might call it a cruiser. Cruise at highway speeds no problem. You can get them for dirt cheap and they are very reliable.

Heck!, just have her ride the Rebel for a while till she tires of it for good then get her a proper modern bike to replace it......like maybe a DN-01?? :rolleyes:...seriously!....

Not really worth messing around with the very power wimpy and ancient design Rebel 250 if you and her are looking for more speed and power from a bike.....

Edited by Beck

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Alright, that's what I thought. I told her to get the CX if she wanted more power. She went with the 250 because it was newer.

• Member Contributer

when she wants a bigger bike.. get her a rebel 450 !! throw a harley split tank on it for better looks and she will have the best cruiser around. :beer: