Why Does My 6Th Gen Stand Straight Up On The Sidestand?

Laney

• Member Contributer

I had An ‘02 6th Gen for about 3 yrs, and it seemed tohave a typical amount of lean angle to the left when on the sidestand. It seemed identical to my other bike when they were parked side-by-side in the garage.

I bought an ’03 about 5 months ago. With this one, I have to be really careful parking it because it’s so upright on the sidestand. Some streets I just can't park on at all, and at work I have to park in just the right place. Even at home in the flat and level garage it's not really solid. The only known difference between the two bikes is the ’02 had ABS, the ’03 doesn’t. Suspension is stock, and the bike looks like it was ridden hard, but taken care of. Handling sucks, but the fork oil that we drained out last night was pretty yucky looking and is being replaced with fresh stuff today. There will be more to do to improve the handling, but I’m taking it one step at a time to see how things change. Tires are next.

I'd guess there are adjustments a prior owner or owners made that cause or contribute to the lack of lean angle on the sidestand, but I don’t know where to start looking.

Any suggestions on what to look at to find the cause?

Thanks for any advice! :wub:

• Member Contributer

Was the bike lowered by the previous owner? After we lowered my wife's bike, it stood very upright until we chopped 1.5" off the side stand.

My guess would be the same thing. Check to see if the triple tree has been lowered on the forks or if there is a lowering link of any kind installed on the rear shock. The only other option here would be an aftermarket or non-stock kickstand has been installed.

• Member Contributer

3 votes for someone lowered the bike which would cause the side stand to hold it up more vertical. That could also be the cause of crappy handling.

• Member Contributer

Look at the suspension linkage at the bottom of the shock. There are two triangular plates that attach to the shock and dogbone link. Check to see that the arrow stamped into the metal on the triangles is pointing towards the front of the bike. If not, they have been rotated, lowering the suspension. Also check the fork tube height in the triples as mentioned.

• Member Contributer

I have an '03 that had the same issue. I was certain that the bike had not been lowered, and even replaced the rear shock and dialed the Penske up to max ride height. It wasn't until this past winter's full rebuild (by RMR Suspension in Abbotsford, BC) that I got this fixed. I still don't know what he did, but I can park almost anywhere now!

Look at the suspension linkage at the bottom of the shock. There are two triangular plates that attach to the shock and dogbone link. Check to see that the arrow stamped into the metal on the triangles is pointing towards the front of the bike. If not, they have been rotated, lowering the suspension. Also check the fork tube height in the triples as mentioned.

What he said.

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for your suggestions, it was low. Fortunately only in the front. :biggrin: The triangular plates on the rear shock pointed towards the front, but the forks were sitting about 4 mm too high in the triple tree. Moving them down, along with clean forks, new seals, and clean fork oil, made the bike handle like a VFR again. :wheel:

Plus,now I can park anywhere I want to without worrying about it tipping over if there’s a breeze. I can’t wait to see how it handles when it gets the new tires in a few weeks.

Archived