Painting Cam Gear Teeth?

RolandHTG

• Member Contributer

I have changed my shims (14 of then) and putting the camshafts back. The service manual as well as my Haynes manual says "Paint the pair of gear teeth as shown to avoid misaligning

the camshaft gear teeth with the third gear of the cam gear train."
I don't really understand what the potential problem would be or even why the cam gears are split and slightly offset. Can anyone explain?
Update: After I torqued the cam holder and caps on the rear cylinders I checked my paint marks. The teeth are no longer offset and the paint marks are lined up. So the install should be good but I still would like to understand what is going on.

• Member Contributer

yes..

ahem..

PEOPLE ARE F#@&^N STUPID!!!!!!!

so. honda says paint some marks so you or your mechanic remembers how the stuff goes back..

i always do one better and take photos of everything as i take it apart.

this does 2 things for me.

1 a simple reminder on reassembly

2 i have photo proof of scratches and broken stuff if a customer says " it wasn't like that when it was brought in!!"

• Member Contributer

Perhaps I did not express my question very well, A$$hole.

I take pictures and paint marks just like you, I was not asking if it the painting is necessary. I was asking if someone knows why the cam gears are spit ( into two rows of teeth) and why they rotate.

yes..

ahem..

so. honda says paint some marks so you or your mechanic remembers how the stuff goes back..

2 i have photo proof of scratches and broken stuff if a customer says " it wasn't like that when it was brought in!!"

• Member Contributer

i didnt call YOU stupid.

people in general are stupid..

well, i guess you proved my point..since you didnt catch that :goofy:

but the split gear with springs is to make 0.0 play (or lash)

ergo perfect synchronous gear timing :beer:

• Member Contributer

People are stupid, as well as half the mechanics I have dealt with. The first one didn't understand that the I and E on camshafts stand for Intake and Exhaust, which is how he swapped them by mistake. The second dealer mechanic ignored the entire section in the OEM service manual on checking for oil flow after installing new head gaskets and blew the engine up.

• Member Contributer

I have changed my shims (14 of then) and putting the camshafts back. The service manual as well as my Haynes manual says "Paint the pair of gear teeth as shown to avoid misaligning

the camshaft gear teeth with the third gear of the cam gear train."
I don't really understand what the potential problem would be or even why the cam gears are split and slightly offset. Can anyone explain?
Update: After I torqued the cam holder and caps on the rear cylinders I checked my paint marks. The teeth are no longer offset and the paint marks are lined up. So the install should be good but I still would like to understand what is going on.

Edited because I didn't bother to read all the previous posts. Doh.

yes..

ahem..

It's hard to imagine how a simple post can be so misinterpreted and elicit such a horrible response.

While the factory marks and manual procedure are usually enough to ensure proper reassembly there's absolutely nothing wrong with adding your own marks to the gears to aid.

There's nothing a camera can do to get your cam gears meshed correctly. The factory marks either line up with the head surface or they don't. You check this with your eyes, a camera is of no use in this situation.

So you didn't call the original poster fucken stupid but just people in general, which pretty well includes everyone (except you?). Then in the next line you just directed it back at the original poster anyway, for good measure.

• Member Contributer

There's nothing a camera can do to get your cam gears meshed correctly. The factory marks either line up with the head surface or they don't. You check this with your eyes, a camera is of no use in this situation.

So you didn't call the original poster fucken stupid but just people in general, which pretty well includes everyone (except you?). Then in the next line you just directed it back at the original poster anyway, for good measure.

lets see ....

YOU TAKE A PICTURE OF THE CORRECT TIMING BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART>>>

TAKE PIC WITH THE NEW PAINTED LINES>>

is this too hard to understand???

you then line up the marks and verify against the picture... GOT IT?? :rolleyes:

the OP called me an A$$hole.... I called people stupid in general..which includes me sometimes..

but especially people dealing with mechanical things.. nothing like having my BOSS yell at me for rebuilding an engine "wrong" then telling said boss HIS way will blow up the motor.. and then having to rebuild said motor after it blows up..

and people wonder why i am cranky all the time.. :goofy:

lets see ....

YOU TAKE A PICTURE OF THE CORRECT TIMING BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART>>>

TAKE PIC WITH THE NEW PAINTED LINES>>

is this too hard to understand???

you then line up the marks and verify against the picture... GOT IT?? :rolleyes:

the OP called me an A$$hole.... I called people stupid in general..

especial people dealing with mechanical things.. nothing like having my BOSS yell at me for rebuilding an engine "wrong" then telling said boss HIS way will blow up the motor.. and then having to rebuild said motor after it blows up..

and people wonder why i am cranky all the time.. :goofy:

Impossible to understand. You set the engine to a specified mark before taking the cams out then reassemble to the specified marks. What's a photograph going to do?

If you paint marks on the gears then you reassemble according to the painted marks. Where does a photograph come in here? I've pulled and reassembled plenty of cams. Not seeing where the picture taking comes in. Although I guess you could post it on FaceBook :goofy:

• Member Contributer

not all cams have good viable markings on them. so you paint a mark on them..and the whatever you are lining it up to..

then you take a pic and put it face book to show the world you are not retard :beer:

and you double check ,with said pic, that you put it back in the right spot. :happy:

• Member Contributer

The valve adjustment went well. I'd done three chain drive cam adjustments since the last time I did the VFR. Now I REALLY love the gear drive cams! The hardest part about shimming an SV650 is the damn chain tensionerS

• Member Contributer

The cam paint is to remind you that the spring tension only works one way. It is possible to put the cams in place with the anti-lash gear one tooth out of alignment & with zero tension, but when you torque the cam caps down, the gears will be over tightened & damage themselves if run !

• Member Contributer

The cam paint is to remind you that the spring tension only works one way. It is possible to put the cams in place with the anti-lash gear one tooth out of alignment & with zero tension, but when you torque the cam caps down, the gears will be over tightened & damage themselves if run !

Thanks for the answer. It makes sense now.

And I was wondering why you would paint the whole gearset.

I'd think the paint would just flake off when the gears meshed, and make a mess.

Failed to understand, but now I get it. :goofy:

This is why I have a mechanic handle stuff like this.

Hopefully one that did good at MMI. :comp13:

Ok enough with the name calling.

I'll delete the thread and warn the parties concerned if we can't keep it civil all the way around.

If someone can post a constructive reply that furthers the thread, good.

If not, skip to the next one please.

• Member Contributer

And I was wondering why you would paint the whole gearset.

I'd think the paint would just flake off when the gears meshed, and make a mess.

Failed to understand, but now I get it. :goofy:

This is why I have a mechanic handle stuff like this.

Hopefully one that did good at MMI. :comp13:

Actually I used a sharpie pen.

Ok enough with the name calling.

I'll delete the thread and warn the parties concerned if we can't keep it civil all the way around.

If someone can post a constructive reply that furthers the thread, good.

If not, skip to the next one please.

My apologies to all.

Archived