Is There By Diy Chain Oiler?

Audigier

I was looking at the scottoiler thig, I haven't been able to see a diagram to see how it works so I can build my own, it's hard for me to search online as I mostly use my cellphone for Internet browsing, I've seen some posts on google but can't realize how it really works as pics and instructions or descriptions are very poor...

• Member Contributer

The principle of Scottoiler is pretty simple. There is an oil reservoir, an on/off valve controlled by either vacuum of the engine or in electrical version electric adjustable valve which control the oil flow. Then there is a hose from the valve to the nozzle to drop oil to the chain or to rear sprocket.

There is another system as well which is not manufactured by Scottoiler, I do not recall the name, where the oil drain is controlled by the vibration of the bike. There is a valve with a weak spring which just keep the valve closed and when the bike vibrates, it will let the oil flow to the chain.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The old Triumphs had the blowby hose coming out of the crankcase and ran along the rear fender and ended near the rear sprocket. Worked pretty good but dunno whether it was planned that way or just coincidence.

I have the Hawke Oiler which uses a small pump which is actuated by a manual button. Hit the button when you want to oil the chain a bit. Works okay.

• Member Contributer

any one tried the loobman ?

Yes I have a Loobman fitted and would recommend it. Very simple to use, I fill with left over EP90 gear oil. Keeps the chain wet looking and clean. I try and give a squirt every second tank full but it is not critical I have found. Been using it for about 30k km over 3 years on new chain and sprockets. No evidence of chain wear yet, it is still tightly fitting the rear sprocket. A bit fiddly to position and set up but worth it for the price :cool:

• Member Contributer

any one tried the loobman ?

Yes I have a Loobman fitted and would recommend it. Very simple to use, I fill with left over EP90 gear oil. Keeps the chain wet looking and clean. I try and give a squirt every second tank full but it is not critical I have found. Been using it for about 30k km over 3 years on new chain and sprockets. No evidence of chain wear yet, it is still tightly fitting the rear sprocket. A bit fiddly to position and set up but worth it for the price :cool:

does it mess up the rear wheel ?

• Member Contributer

Donot recall what my Scotoiler cost me back in 1997, but it still works flawlessly...... :beer:

• Member Contributer

A fellow nearby rigged up a DIY oiler using a chainsaw or weed wacker prime pump and a 'drip bulb' (don't know the name) off an IV feed. Looks like Aerostich sells something similar as a kit.

Glenn

Archived