OFF TOPIC CONTENT - 7Th Gen - Strange Noise When Turning On Ignition - Closed

• Member Contributer

When I turn the key on, before I thumb the starter and start the bike the 12 makes a strange electronic noise. I can't explain the sound other than it sounds like it is cycling. Perhaps it is the fuel pump I have no idea. It doesn't affect anything just thought it strange. Does your 7th gen make this noise when turning the key on prior to start? Contemplating on taking it back to the stealer.

• Member Contributer

You have been riding a VFR since 1998 and just now noticed the fuel pump building up pressure before starting ? :goofy::beer:

You have been riding a VFR since 1998 and just now noticed the fuel pump building up pressure before starting ? :goofy::beer:

This is a good reason why people who don't own a 7th gen shouldn't comment on 7th gen posts unless they know exactly what the original poster is referring to.

To the original poster, nobody has a definitive answer as to what this sound is but all 7th gens do it

• Member Contributer

This is a good reason why people who don't own a 7th gen shouldn't comment on 7th gen posts unless they know exactly what the original poster is referring to.

To the original poster, nobody has a definitive answer as to what this sound is but all 7th gens do it

This is what I wanted to know. Thank you Tamworth for knowing of the issue and commenting on it rather than some A-hole popping off.

The sound I'm describing isn't the fuel pump priming of a typical Honda, of which I've owned many. It's a loop of some kind, definitely electrical in nature. Again doesn't affect function but sounds strange and I didn't know if it was indicative of a problem. If they all do it, not gonna worry about it too much.

The high-frequency modulating noise is the VFR's RF-modem handshaking with Honda's geo-synchronous satellite. It sends your location, altitude, temp/RH, approximate rider, and passenger (if any), weight to the Corporate database for analysis. The GC-MS (Gas Chromatic Mass Spectrometer) built into the VFR's seat also takes a sample of your flatulence to determine the likely content of your last meal, for focused demographic advertising purposes.

You signed a consent form authorizing any and all such monitoring when you purchased your VFR1200. The dealer should have giving you a signed copy along with your Bill of Sale.

• Member Contributer

The high-frequency modulating noise is the VFR's RF-modem handshaking with Honda's geo-synchronous satellite. It sends your location, altitude, temp/RH, approximate rider, and passenger (if any), weight to the Corporate database for analysis. The GC-MS (Gas Chromatic Mass Spectrometer) built into the VFR's seat also takes a sample of your flatulence to determine the likely content of your last meal, for focused demographic advertising purposes.

You signed a consent form authorizing any and all such monitoring when you purchased your VFR1200. The dealer should have giving you a signed copy along with your Bill of Sale.

Finally a serious answer worthy of my attention. :laughing6-hehe: Hang on let me check, yep there it is signed, I'll have to advise Honda I took a Zantac today which may impact my flatulence threshold.

• Member Contributer

This is what I wanted to know. Thank you Tamworth for knowing of the issue and commenting on it rather than some A-hole popping off.

Man this guy really doesn't like A-holes popping off. Nobody make a joke at luvtoleanit's expense!

When trying to find useful information is it necessary? I'm all for games and fun but don't think it's necessary everywhere.

• Member Contributer

When did Apple buy Honda?

• Member Contributer

Man this guy really doesn't like A-holes popping off. Nobody make a joke at luvtoleanit's expense!

When trying to find useful information is it necessary? I'm all for games and fun but don't think it's necessary everywhere.

You called a complete stranger an asshole for making a joke. That fact that he was correct is just icing on the cake.

Just sayin' ...

Wow.

No he wasn't correct. This sound isn't like a typical Honda fuel pump priming, or Yamaha, etc. It's much different and cyclic in nature. In fact never heard anything like it on any motorcycle. It was a design change to the system that I did not know about prior to Tamworth posting.

Tamworth also pointed out to SinNH (who I was referring to in my post) that he shouldn't comment on things he knows nothing about.

Mine does it too new fuel pump design the pump regulates pressure itself rather then using a vac diaphragm like on older models on the fuel rail. So no return hose. Is weird but normal.

I didn't know what noise the OP was referring to until I read this. Mine does that too. After the louder fuel priming noise, you can here a quieter harmonic / oscillating noise from the fuel pump.

When did Apple buy Honda?

Great minds... I was just making the Apple - Honda - nanny-company connection last night when explaining the 1st and 2nd gear power dip to my neighbor. He asked me why I don't just flash the ECU... same reason I can't just flash my iphone.

Archived