R And R For My Vfr

no doubt! i've had a few cracks to fill in/repair all winter and haven't got to them yet. (in my defense - not that i wasn't doing other stuff) i do have a few rainy looking days coming up, should force myself to go take care of them now before it gets so nice out i don't want to have a days downtime.

Thats exactly what I'm looking at right now, getting everything done so I don't have any down time later, but I feel like I should already be riding.. It was 83 here today.

i rode to and from work monday and tuesday, rain here rest of the week..i'd say it was upwards of 60-65 and beautiful out..ride to work = 50miles, ride home from work closer to 80miles... :)

got those levers on ebay, like 35-40bucks if i recall..mine came with a free set of aluminum/rubber grips...but they were gold so i haven't installed them. love my progrips anyway. if i can re-find the link i'll post it for you.

edit: pretty sure these are them;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SET-CNC-Adjustable-Clutch-Brake-Levers-Honda-VFR750-1991-1997-/330731731852?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0125bb8c&vxp=mtr

you just indicate lever/dial color in a note when you order and make/model i believe..

they did take a little work to get installed, the clutch side fit like a glove, the brake side required about 2mm grinded off the bottom to fit smoothly..it fit tight and wouldn't disengage when released. but over all i'm super happy with them, no more knuckle mashing.

Bike is actually back on its own feet. Got the forks done. I'm not too happy with the forks, honestly.. The Bel-Ray 10w is like water and still doesn't give me the rebound damping I'd like, it obviously needs to be valved, but I'm not ready to pay for that right now. It'll do how it is, its definitely a ton better than before. The forks had maybe .75 quart of oil between them and it was shot and full of bushing material. Set the Air gap at 150, and Its still spongy, so I'm gonna play around and add 5-10ml a side until I like it. So the front end is completely together, brakes and all, they just need to be bled. So happy to see it looking like a motorcycle again. Gonna finish up my harness upgrades today and try and do a quick carb cleaning tonight or tomorrow and then it should be ready to start. I'm feeling especially lazy so I'm gonna ride it around without fresh paint for a while, weather hasn't been cooperative and I'm not a fan of body work. Try and get some pictures up later.

• Member Contributer

I don't remember if you are running the stock forks or not, but 150 sounds low to me. Maybe someone else can confirm. I think it was closer to 130 for stock spec.

I don't remember if you are running the stock forks or not, but 150 sounds low to me. Maybe someone else can confirm. I think it was closer to 130 for stock spec.

Stock spec is 177 actually. I know thats way low, so I decided to start at 150 and work my way up.

Bike is RUNNING! Took it for a little shakedown up and down the driveway, running like a top, apparently all my harness upgrades went seamlessly, I was skeptical.. Not exactly a wiring master over here.

Still need to tie up some loose ends, and I have the seat cowl off. I also have not got my 954 shock in because my town is worthless and nobody can put the new spring on. But I found a place to do it, so next time I have it apart I will get that swapped in.post-22106-0-39647200-1366308892.jpgpost-22106-0-31149200-1366308870.jpgpost-22106-0-27649700-1366308850.jpgpost-22106-0-58570100-1366308829.jpgpost-22106-0-30190400-1366308777.jpgpost-22106-0-06039300-1366308759.jpgpost-22106-0-61569400-1366308743.jpgpost-22106-0-80063400-1366308725.jpg

And something I wanted to add, I got away with using all stock length cables and brake lines for my superbike bar conversion, and they have quite a pull-back to them. I can sit up comfortable and reach the bars.. This mod changed the comfort level a LOT. I can't wait to get out and push some corners to see how they feel.

Oh, and the Mosfet R1 R/R, let me tell you, doesn't even get warm, while the last stock honda one got warm as the engine did. This thing stays cold, it also hold a constant 14.4 volts from idle to redline.

I imagine its going to be fairly hot considering the winter we had this year, or lack thereof.. Past couple years have been trending that way. Its not really that bad though, every time I think its unbearable I end up spending a weekend in Florida and I'm instantly cured of complaining about home.

Got my new, year old set of pilot powers broke in today. Rode about 2.5 hours and broke off all the wax, no chicken strips to be seen. I'm real happy with it, except its still going wide in the corners at full lean in the tight stuff around here and I really don't like it.. I really expected the new tires to correct it considering the horrible OE Kawasaki 650r tires I was running before. So I'm thinking about sliding the fork tubes up about 12 inches if you get my drift. I really hate losing ground clearance, but i need it to hold a tighter circle.. And just for the record I'm maxed out on lift in the rear already, at least without buying aftermarket parts.

Slid forks up 3/4" yesterday and went for a ride, not much of a difference, initial turn in is a little faster, but its still not holding a tight enough circle, guess I'll keep going down.. I have a zip tie one one fork to reference my max travel so I'm not bumping parts.

Oh and these EBC Double H pads are absolutely fantastic, they bite hard. Best pads I've ever owned.

• Member Contributer

Awesome work, man!

I'm following along closely, as I have also been planning a refresh of my '95. Weird how similar they look at the moment. Good to see yours come back together relatively quickly. What is your plan for gauges?

Cheers!

tn_gallery_22867_6716_142717.jpg

Awesome work, man!

I'm following along closely, as I have also been planning a refresh of my '95. Weird how similar they look at the moment. Good to see yours come back together relatively quickly. What is your plan for gauges?

Cheers!

Hey, thanks! Sorry I missed your comment, I haven't been keeping up as much as I should. You got a good looking bike there, does like quite a bit similar. Mine is the never ending project, I still want to swap to a late model aluminum sub-frame and tail, and also do a front-end conversion to something inverted and fully adjustable. Only thing is... Its gonna cost me about $1500 to do both of those, so they won't be in the budget till next spring I suppose.

What kinda plans do you have for yours?

Archived