Fork Internals

Duc2V4

Question

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know if the internal components of a Gen 4 (1995) VFR is the same or close to those of a Gen 6 (2009) VFR? I did the shim and spring replacement for my 09 a few months back and I was going to help another member who has 95 and wanted to see if there was any real significant difference between the two generations.

Cheers

6 answers to this question

Form you post your simply asking is the design more or less the same as you have worked on 6th gen internals & want to help friend doing his 4th gen. You will find the design more or less the same, in fact any fork you work on uses those design predicables, inverted forks are slightly different but adjusting the valving sim stacks is again the same.

• Member Contributer

Form you post your simply asking is the design more or less the same as you have worked on 6th gen internals & want to help friend doing his 4th gen. You will find the design more or less the same, in fact any fork you work on uses those design predicables, inverted forks are slightly different but adjusting the valving sim stacks is again the same.

That is correct, just looking to see if the internal assemblies were the same. I looked at the 95 Service Manual and it looked similar to 09 but the valve assemblies aren't show so I wanted to make sure. I knew what I was in for before cracking open someone elses fork tubes.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

The internals aren't sold separately, so don't show up on the parts diagrams. Despite the forks having different diameters, I think they both use 20mm cartridges, but the cartridges/damping rods may be different lengths. Ask Jamie D. or anyone who works on suspensions--they will have seen many, many of these and can tell you straight away if the internals are indeed identical.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The valving is not exactly the same but interchangeable. The springs are not, the pre-02 bikes take different parts than the later models.

That's what I thought. Appreciate the response.

Cheers

Archived