De-Cat Pcv Autotune.

hvfrdave

• Member Contributer

WHAT 154 brake horse power !!!!!!!!!!!! Just a high performance exhaust and air filter and fuel programmer ?

De- cat, if you go to the first page, you will see what i did, and yes i was surprised aswell. :smile:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

WHAT 154 brake horse power !!!!!!!!!!!! Just a high performance exhaust and air filter and fuel programmer ?

My fault 7th gen.

• Member Contributer

Dave,how did the dyno session ever turn out?? I am thinking of doing the same exhaust with decat and PV5 and autotune.....Can't wait to see your numbers!!!

Thanks!!

Hi bud, i have had the VFR on the dyno, without connecting up the Autotune, just to check the A/F readings, and below 4,000 revs the A/F readings were on the lean side, 14.2 to 14.6 from 4,000revs to 10,000 revs 13.4 to 13.8. connected the Autotune and in the 3 runs you could see the A/F readings were getting adjusted straight away, for the better i may add. The bhp readings were a bit of a surprise, map 1 was154bhp, on map 2 with the Autotune, 157bhp, these figures were at the back wheel. :smile: I have since done around 150 miles, and the VFR pulls from very low revs, and very smooth, no chatter through the drive train, and when you hit 4,000 revs to 10,000 revs it is far quicker than before the above mods. I am looking at getting the VFR on another dyno, to get 1 map tailer made, then on map 2 for the Autotune, i have a map switch, so i can switch from one map to the other. When i get it back on the dyno, i will get a print out showing the BHP, Torque, and A/F readings, and i will post them up. This mod has really made a big difference, in its smoothness and how bl**dy quick it is. :smile:

OUTSTANDING Dave outstanding!! bl**dy outstanding!! :) :)

• Member Contributer

Well, i have been to my local dyno guy 3 times now to get a tailor made map for the set up i have, have i had it done No :angry:, so i am a little p*ssed off. Anyway i have booked it in at Dyno UK for 9 am 20th March. So that will be, Map 1 a tailor made map, Map 2 will be as map 1 but with the Autotune connected. :smile:

Well, i have been to my local dyno guy 3 times now to get a tailor made map for the set up i have, have i had it done No :angry:, so i am a little p*ssed off. Anyway i have booked it in at Dyno UK for 9 am 20th March. So that will be, Map 1 a tailor made map, Map 2 will be as map 1 but with the Autotune connected. :smile:

Are you coming over to Preston Dave?

I'm off that morning.

Peter

• Member Contributer

Are you coming over to Preston Dave?

I'm off that morning.

Peter

Yes Peter, Stuart at the dyno centre, is a nice guy but enough is enough, software issues or something like that, i will tell you about it sometime. Yes at Preston, i know it is a long way to go for me, but atleast i know there will be No issues, anyway i wanted to see the outcome of both your and my VFR on the same dyno, just a pity its not on the same day. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Dave,how did the dyno session ever turn out?? I am thinking of doing the same exhaust with decat and PV5 and autotune.....Can't wait to see your numbers!!!

Thanks!!

Hi bud, i have had the VFR on the dyno, without connecting up the Autotune, just to check the A/F readings, and below 4,000 revs the A/F readings were on the lean side, 14.2 to 14.6 from 4,000revs to 10,000 revs 13.4 to 13.8. connected the Autotune and in the 3 runs you could see the A/F readings were getting adjusted straight away, for the better i may add. The bhp readings were a bit of a surprise, map 1 was154bhp, on map 2 with the Autotune, 157bhp, these figures were at the back wheel. :smile: I have since done around 150 miles, and the VFR pulls from very low revs, and very smooth, no chatter through the drive train, and when you hit 4,000 revs to 10,000 revs it is far quicker than before the above mods. I am looking at getting the VFR on another dyno, to get 1 map tailer made, then on map 2 for the Autotune, i have a map switch, so i can switch from one map to the other. When i get it back on the dyno, i will get a print out showing the BHP, Torque, and A/F readings, and i will post them up. This mod has really made a big difference, in its smoothness and how bl**dy quick it is. :smile:

I was told by Dynojet that if using the switch, you can either a) toggle between two different maps stored in the PC5 or b) turn auto-tune off/on. They said you cannot do both, as in, have 2 maps and autotune. It will not work.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!!

I was told by Dynojet that if using the switch, you can either a) toggle between two different maps stored in the PC5 or b) turn auto-tune off/on. They said you cannot do both, as in, have 2 maps and autotune. It will not work.

Thanks!!

I was told by Dynojet that if using the switch, you can either a) toggle between two different maps stored in the PC5 or b) turn auto-tune off/on. They said you cannot do both, as in, have 2 maps and autotune.

It will not work.

I maybe should of worded it differently, you can have your tailer made map, which is what i would mainly use, as regards to the Autotune, yes you would use the toggle switch, to switch the Autotune on or off, but the Autotune then would adjust around your tailer made map, well thats how i understand it, if i am told different by Dynojet UK, i will let you know. :smile:

• Member Contributer

We are on the same page and that is how it works. For a minute there i was just trying to save you :)

On my R1 I have a PC5 and Autotune (no cat either, full Leo exhaust, flashed ECU, and graves stacks). I had a map made and then use the Autotune to work off that. In reality, once your map is made, you don't need to run Autotune unless you hit elevation. Been told 5k feet or more only. My tuner tunes for John Ulrich's kid (Chris) in the AMA and said I can run Autotune or not but it will only help AFR's and like you said, work off your base map. He gave me a 20k mile interval to replace the Bosch sensor. Said that race petrol is what kills the sensor and they'll last a while with pump petrol. If you decide to buy a backup sensor don't buy it fom Dynojet. They sell it in the states at auto parts stores for heaps cheaper. It's the same sensor they use on cars. My switch is right below the turn signal switch.

The VFR12 is new to me so I will ask. There is no full exhaust on the market?

• Member Contributer

We are on the same page and that is how it works. For a minute there i was just trying to save you :)

On my R1 I have a PC5 and Autotune (no cat either, full Leo exhaust, flashed ECU, and graves stacks). I had a map made and then use the Autotune to work off that. In reality, once your map is made, you don't need to run Autotune unless you hit elevation. Been told 5k feet or more only. My tuner tunes for John Ulrich's kid (Chris) in the AMA and said I can run Autotune or not but it will only help AFR's and like you said, work off your base map. He gave me a 20k mile interval to replace the Bosch sensor. Said that race petrol is what kills the sensor and they'll last a while with pump petrol. If you decide to buy a backup sensor don't buy it fom Dynojet. They sell it in the states at auto parts stores for heaps cheaper. It's the same sensor they use on cars. My switch is right below the turn signal switch.

The VFR12 is new to me so I will ask. There is no full exhaust on the market?

Hi bud, like you, i will be running on the tailor made map, most of the time, and use the Autotune, when i have my trips across to Europe etc. I will ask Dynojet UK , as regarding what altitude for the Autotune & A/F readings. At the moment there is not a aftermarket full exhaust system for the VFR1200, so i think i have made the next best thing. :smile: Personal choice i know. :smile:

• Member Contributer

At least someone is working on it....

I'm frowning on the lack of rearsets and full system for this bike. I figured Arrow, Akrapovic, Leo Vince, somebody would have a full system by now. Still don't have the facts about the ECUnleashed either :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Guys & Gals, finnaly got my VFR1200F on the Dyno today, to get a map made to suit the set up i have.

PCV

K&N Air Filter

De-cat

LeoVince Factory R Evo 2 end can

Map switch

Autotune

The work has been well worth while. :smile:

The tailor made map is on the map switch, in the off position

The Autotune is on the map switch, in the on position, and works with in 10% parameter of the tailor made map.

012-8_zps6d8ef8bf.jpg

img051_zps7edf9acf.jpg

005-27_zpseb8dc833.jpg

• Member Contributer

"The work has been well worth while."

Indeed Dave !! NICE numbers....you must of been smiling all the way home. :)

Yes i was well pleased, the highest figure Dynojet UK have ever seen on a VFR1200F, but it was not just the 167.2 bhp but the the torque 95.34ibsft, thats impressive. But the whole idea of this exercise, was to try and improve the smoothness at low revs, and it has certainly done that, a lot smoother in 30mph and 40mph, and a lot more responsive, right through the rev range. :smile:

• Member Contributer

The exhaust looks good, but I'd check the correction factor your dyno guy is using. Assuming my eyes are not deceiving me peak torque is at 7200rpm, so peak HP is 131hp. With the standard DJ correction factors of 1.1-1.15 that could read anywhere between 144 & 151hp. Your 167 reading indicates a correction factor of 1.28 which is way beyond the DJ norms.

FYi to calculate real HP the equation is Peak Torque (ft-lbs) x Peak Torque RPM / 5252. So your 95.34ft-lbs x 7200 /5252 = 130.7 Real HP.

Dynojet dynamometers do read Torque correctly, but they are a bit liberal with their calculation to get HP (all dynos calculate HP from Torque), they use the magic correction factor above 1.

• Member Contributer

The exhaust looks good, but I'd check the correction factor your dyno guy is using. Assuming my eyes are not deceiving me peak torque is at 7200rpm, so peak HP is 131hp. With the standard DJ correction factors of 1.1-1.15 that could read anywhere between 144 & 151hp. Your 167 reading indicates a correction factor of 1.28 which is way beyond the DJ norms.

FYi to calculate real HP the equation is Peak Torque (ft-lbs) x Peak Torque RPM / 5252. So your 95.34ft-lbs x 7200 /5252 = 130.7 Real HP.

Dynojet dynamometers do read Torque correctly, but they are a bit liberal with their calculation to get HP (all dynos calculate HP from Torque), they use the magic correction factor above 1.

Dynojet use the same figures on all their Dynos, so whether it is 150 bhp or a 167 bhp is irrelervent, the point of this exercise was to improve the low speed running ie smoothness of my VFR, which i have achieved, my point is of all the VFR1200F's that have been on their Dynos mine showed the highest figure, now correct me if i am wrong, but they have all been worked out the same way, at the end of the day the only true and accurate way, is to have all the VFR1200'S on the Dyno, the same day, with the same Dyno Technicion operating it. :smile:

• Member Contributer

No they don't. The DIN correction factor & the DJ correction factor are configurable by the operator, as are the temp, pressure, humidity values if the auto sensors are not connected or working ! This gives the operator the ability to fudge the figures anyway they like.

I'm not surprised yours is the highest number they have seen if the operator was using a 1.28 correction factor ! Whis is much higher than the normal 1.1-1.15 most use !

Take it for what its worth.

• Member Contributer

No they don't. The DIN correction factor & the DJ correction factor are configurable by the operator, as are the temp, pressure, humidity values if the auto sensors are not connected or working ! This gives the operator the ability to fudge the figures anyway they like.

I'm not surprised yours is the highest number they have seen if the operator was using a 1.28 correction factor ! Whis is much higher than the normal 1.1-1.15 most use !

Take it for what its worth.

I have taken it for what it is worth, as i said the only true way is if the dyno technicion runs all of the VFR's up on the Dyno the same day, yes the figures have to all worked out the same way, that's obvious.

I've seen Dave's correction factor. It was unity (din).

HP is merely the rate of torque. Max Hp is where revs x torque x a constant peak.

In the UK DIN is the standard, not SAE. Standard hp (as opposed to bhp) is measured at about 140 to 145 at the wheel. So comparatively Dave's hp is what it is, 167, a fair comparison.

The Rpm used to measure peak power isn't peak torque rpm. It peak power rpm

• Member Contributer

I've seen Dave's correction factor. It was unity (din).

HP is merely the rate of torque. Max Hp is where revs x torque x a constant.

In the UK DIN is the standard, not SAE. Standard hp (as opposed to bhp) is measured at about 140 to 145 at the wheel. So comparatively Dave's hp is what it is, 167, a fair comparison.

Thanks, at the end of the day, the bike feels fine, and as i have already said, i can't see why Dynojet UK Technicions would use different ways of working the bhp and torque figures out surely the Technicions at Dynojet uk would use the same formula, or whats the point. This is what i hate about Dyno Readings, every body allways has a different view on things, my point was as long as all the VFR's what were ran up at Dynojet UK were worked out with the same formula it must be pretty accurate. Yes i know better still all the VFR's on the same dyno the same day.

Archived