De-Cat Pcv Autotune.

hvfrdave

Been watching this thread for a while, and thanks for the exhaust mod by the way, (dont take any notice of these so called experts on how power is worked out, its all about how it feels at the throttle, they should really leave it and appreciate what you have done rather than pick holes in it!!) it gave me a good idea what is involved. Just to put my ten pence in, I found the handling on my viffer pants (why oh why is it so crap for a techno tour deforce, when a blade has so much better suspenders, just because the demographic pitches the bike at fifty or something riders doesn't mean they should put crap suspension on), I used Maxton fork revalve and spring and a rear shock from them, £950 now the bike handles....But you could try putting a 10mm spacer on the rear shock (will require some modification of the standard mount or fabricating a new one to put a shim in it) to increase the ride height. This is what Maxton recommend, but with there shock its adjustable for length as well as preload.

Oh by the way GILES make resets for the Viffer 12 I have them fitted to mine, alot of adjustment :biggrin:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Oh by the way GILES make resets for the Viffer 12 I have them fitted to mine, alot of adjustment :biggrin:

Please tell more. Was a brake switch required or did the Gilles re-use the stock brake switch (for brake lamp activation)?

And we need pics kind sir. A couple of us are in the process of ordering.

• Member Contributer

Luvtoleanit, with the Gilles rearsets, you use the standard Honda brake switch, the rearsets come with a stainless steel bracket to mount the switch in. I will post some pictures as soon as I get them fitted, I have now been told, they will not be despatched until the 2nd of January 2015.

Dave looking forward to your review of the change when you install the BST wheels. Lot of money but they are beautiful wheels. Have you replaced the lead acid battery with a lithium-iron battery like a Shorai LFX. The battery weight for your bike of a Shoari LFX is less than 2.5 pounds and they hold they're charge for up to 1 year without a trickle charger.

• Member Contributer

John, I will give a review on the BST Carbon Fibre wheels in the spring, but I know how good they are, I had them on my K5 1000. The battery you are talking about, I have never tried them, I suppose that's some more weight I could shave of the VFR1200F, I have probably shaved of around 12kls up to now, with the wheels and exhaust.

Dave, the standard Yuasa battery (here in the US) is a Yuasa YTZ14S which weighs 3.9 KG (8.59 pounds). The Shoari replacement is a LFX18A1-BS12 which weighs 1.038 KG (2.28 pounds). This Shoari has higher ratings for A/HR (18 vs 11.2) and CCA (270 vs 230) than the Yuasa. You could get away with the Shoari LFX 14A1-BS12 which weighs .851 KG (1.87 pounds) which has a slightly higher A/HR and a slightly lower CCA rating than the stock Yuasa. I would go for the LFX14 which will do the job and is less money and weight.

Dave I contacted Brock Davidson (BST distributor) and asked when they were receiving the first set of BST VFR 1200 wheels and if they had wheel weights yet. He expects to have the first set mid to late January but he will not commit to exact wheel weights until they arrive and are weighed. What they expect them to weigh is around 7.1 pounds for the front and 8.4 pounds for the rear. Brock's shop is 1-1/2 hrs. from me so I plan on driving up to look at them when they arrive. Combine them with a Shoari battery which Brock is currently providing with each set of BST wheels and I am considering this myself.

• Member Contributer

John you won't be disappointed with the quality of the BST wheels, they are by far the best on the market, I think the rear wheel will be lighter than the 8.4lbs because it being a single sided hub flange and no wheel bearings, rather than a centre hub assembly like the front wheel with bearings. You better take your cheque book with you, when you go to look at them, because you won't want to leave without them. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Would love a set of those BSTs but the cost - ouch. Gotta keep buying those Lottery tickets!!

• 4 weeks later...

My decat is done on my 1200 DCT. Next send in my ecu to Guhl for his work. K/N filter installed. I'm looking forward to the spring.I'll post my results,and let you know how it goes.

• Member Contributer

Would love a set of those BSTs but the cost - ouch. Gotta keep buying those Lottery tickets!!

Dave's gonna get them and as soon as I see a pic, the seed is planted and I'll have to get some :(

Forums are bad for the wallet!

• Member Contributer

Hi Guy's, I finally got delivery of the Gilles rear-sets today, so I will fit them later this week. A couple of photos for you.

Take notice of the stainless steel bracket towards the top of the R/Hand rear-set, this is for the original Honda brake light switch.

post-26584-0-13272200-1422376613.jpg

post-26584-0-19728000-1422376651.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Guy's, I fitted the Gilles rear-sets today, no problems, a very straight forward job, and I have to say its a very positive gear change, and also a very positive foot brake, very little free play, its either on or its off, just as I like it. :smile2:

post-26584-0-49434700-1422474638.jpg

post-26584-0-75449600-1422474664.jpg

post-26584-0-73922000-1422474687.jpg

post-26584-0-44639200-1422474708.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Guy's, I fitted the Gilles rear-sets today, no problems, a very straight forward job, and I have to say its a very positive gear change, and also a very positive foot brake, very little free play, its either on or its off, just as I like it. :smile2:

Looks nice. Probably deserves its own/new thread. Just to confirm, there is no provision for setting this up reverse shift correct?

Dave there is a thread reverse shift (GP shift) on our sister forum on converting the shift pattern to reverse GP shift by afmmer. He apparently worked it out by using a reverse shift kit for a 2002 thru 2006 RC51 from Sato Racing-cost $50, You also need a stock shift rod from a 2007-2011 CBR600RR-cost $10 if you are using the stock shift location. Looks like the Sato part is the key part needed. A new shift rod can be made for any application. The Gilles is a beautiful setup, nice job.

• Member Contributer

This post is full of winnning and tiger blood!

My source is just over $600US for these which is a bit high, but Gilles parts are NEVER cheap.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know, I have been completing the exact same mod to my VFR, and I have got 166.9BHP & 95.45Nm of torque on the back wheel, and to all thoose doubters, I dont think to two dynos can be wrong...

Archived