Has Anyone Tried This Yet? Ecu Unleashed

crazybrother

It's software. It will not burn up your ECU. In Flashtune's case, they can reflash it back to OEM.

Motorcycles are not my field, but computers are and there is always a chance of bricking a device during a flash. Newest computers have non-writable areas that allow recovery in almost every situation. I would expect ECUs to be somewhat fault tolerant, but there is no way to rule out the human element. If the power is reversed or a power supply bangs and sends a surge you could have a brick. Nothing in life is 100%. Every flash/reflash has some danger inherent. JMHO!

• Member Contributer

It's software. It will not burn up your ECU. In Flashtune's case, they can reflash it back to OEM.

Motorcycles are not my field, but computers are and there is always a chance of bricking a device during a flash. Newest computers have non-writable areas that allow recovery in almost every situation. I would expect ECUs to be somewhat fault tolerant, but there is no way to rule out the human element. If the power is reversed or a power supply bangs and sends a surge you could have a brick. Nothing in life is 100%. Every flash/reflash has some danger inherent. JMHO!

I've never bricked any of my motherboards while flashing thankfully, but almost bricked an old tablet. Still doesn't function quite right. All it takes is a little flicker of power to screw things up. Thankfully the new boards have that non-writable rom so you can get it back to stock in case something goes wrong.

The chances aren't that high of bricking it if done right. Short of a power failure mid-flash, I would think it fairly safe.

I've never bricked any of my motherboards while flashing thankfully, but almost bricked an old tablet. Still doesn't function quite right. All it takes is a little flicker of power to screw things up. Thankfully the new boards have that non-writable rom so you can get it back to stock in case something goes wrong.

The chances aren't that high of bricking it if done right. Short of a power failure mid-flash, I would think it fairly safe.

I agree whole heartedly. But I also have opportunities to flash PLCs and various devices including safety devices that are much more expensive than an ECU and they can be bricked in much the sames way. A $10,000 safety PLC can be bricked; I assume a $1000 ECU can be.

• Member Contributer

In this ECU case with Yamahas ECU's, I can confirm that there are many individuals who have flashed their ECU's 80 times without a single issue. A group of these guys have been flashing daily as they work on map development. You can tune the bike yourself with Flashtune's interface. You can't tune real time with it but you can tune the ECU yourself, no powercommander needed. Increase fuel here, decrease fuel there. These guys send their maps to each other so everyone can evaluate. I don't know the Honda ECU's at all but can't imagine them being worlds apart. I have no fear on mine. It's been flashed several times.

Many of them flash the ECU via Flashtune or pay someone with the interface to do it, then build a map on the dyno with a PC5 or let Autotune build the map for them. Once the map is built it can be loaded into the ECU. They then sell their PC5 and/or autotune module. Very cost effective for a perfect map. Autotune would be beneficial above 5k feet, below that it isn't needed.

I paid an individual with a lot of time on the interface to do mine.

To give you an idea....on my ECU we lowered fan temps to come on at 195 degrees F. We changed the upper velocity stack opening point to 10.5k rpm. We altered engine braking to a 50% bias as there is too much engine braking, stock, on my Yamaha. We changed gearing with the newest software code and I was able to sell my speedo healer. Those are settings available and there are more settings like base maps to choose from if you wish. With any variables you choose, the ECU is rid of all the factory restrictions. On my bike there were a lot. Biggest one being 80% throttle above 10k rpm stock. The throttle is also too touchy stock and the flash made the ride by wire perfect, butter smooth. Can't even tell it's not a cable any more.

One of you guys with a 1200 in the LA area need to swing by Flashtune's brick and mortar and talk to the owner. The automotive guys have been flashing ECU's for many years now. This technology is well sorted now and really the future in motorcycling to remove factory restrictions. As these bikes become more electronically complex, software changes will be needed to remove EPA related crap because Japan is just going to code for the EPA noise test.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/138-streetfighter/138406-bricked-ecu-ducatidiag.html

http://www.streetarticles.com/motorcycles/flash-your-ecu

"Is flashing my ECU Safe?

It's safe if you have done your homework and trusted your ECU to a
tuner with an excellent reputation. If you give your ecu to just anyone
advertizing on the internet, you may pay the price. The price is an ECU
turned into a BRICK. Use it for a doorstop now."

As I said there is always human error. Hook wires up wrong and you could have a brick. A good tech is prolly safe enough. Jus sayin.

• Member Contributer

If Timmy starts to flash at TMAC, you will all be bricking...... ;-)

If Timmy starts to flash at TMAC, you will all be bricking...... ;-)

I'm not usually one to slings stones, but if Timmy flashes at TMAC I won't be bricking in fact I might be limping. What I'm saying is the only thing that will be hard on me is "How hard my eyes will be closed!" Not saying Timmy ain't a fine specimen of a man, but it would kinda be like lookin at a harley. You know feeling slightly nauceous (Make that totally) and wondering who the heck would want something like that.

Although I might consider a personal ECU wipe to remove that map.

Bill

P.S. Nothing personal Timmy. Men are Harleys; women are VFR's.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead, however I wanted to close the loop on it for anyone who might look at it in the future.

After a bunch of correspondence with ECU unleashed, removing and sending photos of my ECU, and a long delay, I received the following response:

Hello Ryan,
Unfortunately at this time we will need to have a donor ECU that we will use to develop the communications protocol. We are looking into obtaining one of these but at this time we can not do the DCT version of the VFR1200. Please check our website for announcements regarding availbility as we will announce it there once we have this model ready. Please also look for our new website which is set to launch soon.
Thanks for you interest,
-ECUnleashed Staff

• Member Contributer

has anyone tried going to a salvage yard and getting one??

Unnecessary if someone would just send theirs in for the benefit of the community. This company is well established in the motorcycling community. Have a read on Sport Rider. Taige is well known.

One of the DCT owners has to be a multi-bike owner so that they wouldn't be down hard during this. Don't expect them to pay for an ECU from Honda as this is a low sales bike.

Archived