Two Dumb Coolant Questions

awacs

• Member Contributer

Hey, two quick easy ones.

One, is old 50/50 premix coolant ok to use? Not used, just old - some in an open container, some in a sealed one. Probably a couple years old. Aassuming this stuff is clean, should be ok?

Two, any reason I can't mix Honda with Maxima Coolanol?

Thanks. Told you they were easy!

Aram

• Member Contributer

Just use the stuff, seems a waste to chuck it. Never heard of a best before date for it.

do check WHAT your manual says on the type to use.

Maxima? That is the name of wife of our future king!

314rsia.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would be real careful mixing two different anti-freezeseseseses together. The chemistry could be radically different and non compatible. Check out bobistheoilguy.com and look in their cooling system and additives section to get more information.

Just use the stuff, seems a waste to chuck it. Never heard of a best before date for it.

do check WHAT your manual says on the type to use.

Maxima? That is the name of wife of our future king!

314rsia.jpg

katie-couric.jpg

Geeeeze.....did we just discover Kaite Couric's lost sister??!!

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't mix. Small cost to avoid any questionable effects. Just my two cents. Then again, if I have fasteners that don't perfectly match each other I get a knot in my stomach.

Plain old green ethylene glycol antifreeze can be mixed with the same stuff of other brands.

The newer long life coolants should not as they have different chemistry.

Pink, red, orange, they're not the same. OAT, PHOAT, etc, not miscible.

BUT, you are not supposed to use coolant with silicates in the VFR, which plain green antifreeze almost certainly has.

I've had good luck with Dex-cool. Be sure to completely flush and drain your cooling system first though.

• 1 month later...
Plain old green ethylene glycol antifreeze can be mixed with the same stuff of other brands.

The newer long life coolants should not as they have different chemistry.

Pink, red, orange, they're not the same. OAT, PHOAT, etc, not miscible.

BUT, you are not supposed to use coolant with silicates in the VFR, which plain green antifreeze almost certainly has.

I've had good luck with Dex-cool. Be sure to completely flush and drain your cooling system first though.

+1 Def. drain and flush and it should be fine for the next 10 years......literally.

• Member Contributer

hahaha that is exactly what I did when she reached 10 years, change the coolant...

Archived