Plasti-Dip Testing With Pics

Higgin

• Member Contributer

Very cool write up! I wonder how it would work on a helmet? I'd like to change my silver helmet to something like a Shoei Monza red.

Are there different glosses?

• Member Contributer

I think all the colors are a matte, but there is a glossifier that acts like a clear coat. A clear coat itself will turn the plastidip into a slow-flake-off, meaning it's possible to take if off but not easy. I'd let the helmet sit into the sun for a while. PD seems to really like the heat.

• Member Contributer
If you don't have a friend out of state, I'm sure one of our faithful friends here will help you out.

I also know that different counties can sell different paint. One of my friends gets automotive paint in Kern County that he can't get in Ventura or LA County. May be worth a phone call.

I have a few friends and family that live in Nevada (Las Vegas) and Arizona (Scottsdale) but not sure if I would need to go and pick up the package or if they would be able to forward it to me without a hassle. I may check with my friend in Vegas, he also has the means to ship from his office.

• Member Contributer
Seems to be perfect for chin fairings and any surface that gets a lot of abuse from stones, etc. R3~

This is what I'm curious about. I don't know how easily it will peel off once it has edges from stone chips and whatnot, but we'll find out.

One thing to keep in mind especially during the winter is that PD seems to love the sun. Before I ride next, I'm going to let it bask in the sun for a few hours

If you don't have a friend out of state, I'm sure one of our faithful friends here will help you out.

I also know that different counties can sell different paint. One of my friends gets automotive paint in Kern County that he can't get in Ventura or LA County. May be worth a phone call.

I have a few friends and family that live in Nevada (Las Vegas) and Arizona (Scottsdale) but not sure if I would need to go and pick up the package or if they would be able to forward it to me without a hassle. I may check with my friend in Vegas, he also has the means to ship from his office.

According to some others trying to do this on the Dipyourcar.com forums, you will more than likely have to go pick it up yourself. The product itself can only be shipped via ups ground with some sort of Hazardous Material disclosure. If you are not in a hurry though, wait for a few more weeks.....Dipyourcar is in the process of comming up with a "california" dip kit. It will supposedly still have the sprayer and everything else in the normal kits, but will only have a 1/2 gallon of dip(or something like that) to get around the shipping to cali issues. Then you can buy other 1/2 gallons seperatly. I'm actually hoping these come out soon as I will be buying my Kit, and want to try different colors, but dont want to buy full gallons. 1/2 gallon options will be nice. But yeah, they losing out on tons of $$ from cali with the shipping issues, so rest assured, they are on it, just give em some time.

• Member Contributer

According to some others trying to do this on the Dipyourcar.com forums, you will more than likely have to go pick it up yourself. The product itself can only be shipped via ups ground with some sort of Hazardous Material disclosure. If you are not in a hurry though, wait for a few more weeks.....Dipyourcar is in the process of comming up with a "california" dip kit. It will supposedly still have the sprayer and everything else in the normal kits, but will only have a 1/2 gallon of dip(or something like that) to get around the shipping to cali issues. Then you can buy other 1/2 gallons seperatly. I'm actually hoping these come out soon as I will be buying my Kit, and want to try different colors, but dont want to buy full gallons. 1/2 gallon options will be nice. But yeah, they losing out on tons of $$ from cali with the shipping issues, so rest assured, they are on it, just give em some time.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up! I'm in no big hurry. The Home Depots near me do not carry PD in white, so I figured I just get a kit from DYC, then I saw the caveat. If/when they become available, I think that's the way I'll go. If I can find at least two cans in white locally I may try my experiment before I go the full route.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Forgot about Lowes. They closed one that was close to my house the middle of last year so I have to drive a little further now. Seems like there's a Home Depot about every 5 miles though. I'll give them a peek, Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I figure the last thing we need is another PlastiDip thread so I'll add my thoughts here

Pros

• Super easy to apply
  • Hides small imperfections
  • Easy to remove overspray or undo mistakes

Cons

• Terrible in terms of wear. Don't use on anything that sees frequent contact. My tank is wearing from my knees and tank bag. My tail is wearing from my boots.

I spent a ton of time masking everything off and painting my bike. Red plastic rattle can base layer, with the PlastiDip on top. If I had to do it over, which I'll have to soon :mad:, I'd just rattle can the whole she-bang.

DSC_0626_zpsdbdaea4d.jpg

Just ripped off the platsidip on my Seca 2. Zero resistance to scuffs. I now see why this isnt done on a wide scale.

this look has come and gone:

406280_10200699629632862_219927141_n.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yup, what I realized after my first experiments with this product. Don't waste your time guys. Just go for a ride instead.

Wow! can't believe I missed this thread!

Because it is 4am and I am working nights, plus the fact that I like to plaster all my pictures and videos all over the internet as often as possible I'll share my Plastidip experience here!

Original Predip:

IMG_20130607_235001.jpg

Shooting the side fairings/rear cowl

IMAG1171.jpg

Shooting the tank/front fairing

IMAG1170.jpg

IMAG1169.jpg

Finished in the garage

IMAG1197.jpg

IMAG1199.jpg

From black back to red in 90sec here:

And now it looks like this:

20130614_195434.jpg

If you notice, I even left dip in two places because either 1) got lazy or 2) liked the way it looked.

***ALSO, to make the dip more resistant to scuffing use turtlewax and wax it like you would a clear coat. It will look the same, but have a less resistant grip so your legs will slide on the tank rather than tugging it.

-Drew

Archived