Finally "finished" 1000R

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Very nice! What color did you use on the clutch and stator cover? love the contrast with the black cylinders

It was a PJ1 paint, Suzuki Gray. One of my favorite colors to use. The paint was great quality, sprayed nice and is durable. I did my XR400R frame with it and it's held up amazingly well! But PJ1 stopped making paint after their paint factory burned and then burned part of their other factory. If you come across some inventory of PJ1 metallic colors (or really any color), buy it. They had a few different shades of silvers and grays.

Very nice! What color did you use on the clutch and stator cover? love the contrast with the black cylinders

It was a PJ1 paint, Suzuki Gray. One of my favorite colors to use. The paint was great quality, sprayed nice and is durable. I did my XR400R frame with it and it's held up amazingly well! But PJ1 stopped making paint after their paint factory burned and then burned part of their other factory. If you come across some inventory of PJ1 metallic colors (or really any color), buy it. They had a few different shades of silvers and grays.

Nice, I use PJ1 satin Black on all my motor jobs. I just bought 2 cans a month ago. Sad that they don't make it anymore. I'll keep an eye open for it. And yes it does spray nice. Another good one is Mercury marine Phantom black. It can be had at any Mercury marine dealer. It goes on smooth and has that deep gloss, just like the outboards. The nozzle does dribble a bit, but is easy to use.

• Member Contributer
Got bodywork that looks as good?

Not quite... this extra set has some minor issues. Eventually going to get a custom FWS-type treatment. Maybe Euro reverse color scheme?

IMG_1883_1_.jpg

Thank you everybody for the nice comments. Really.

Bought this thing 15 years ago... insurance total for $150. Have moved a business, moved into new house, restored 2 (TWO!) CB-1s, built a vintage motocross bike, light-restored a couple mini-trails, built 2 race bikes (1 a fully restored for racing 86 VF500F) and raced 2 seasons... all while trying to get this damn thing done. Last 5% took me 8 years (moving into the new house and trying to find time that I wasn't working on said new house or working on every other machine). Time F-ing flies... this was the summer goddammit!

Mike.

Thats a stack of "GOLD" hanging on those shelves.

• Member Contributer
Got bodywork that looks as good?

Not quite... this extra set has some minor issues. Eventually going to get a custom FWS-type treatment. Maybe Euro reverse color scheme?

IMG_1883_1_.jpg

Thank you everybody for the nice comments. Really.

Bought this thing 15 years ago... insurance total for $150. Have moved a business, moved into new house, restored 2 (TWO!) CB-1s, built a vintage motocross bike, light-restored a couple mini-trails, built 2 race bikes (1 a fully restored for racing 86 VF500F) and raced 2 seasons... all while trying to get this damn thing done. Last 5% took me 8 years (moving into the new house and trying to find time that I wasn't working on said new house or working on every other machine). Time F-ing flies... this was the summer goddammit!

Mike.

Thats a stack of "GOLD" hanging on those shelves.

Only if it still has the stock paint scheme! If it's not the original RWB the value drops considerably.

Archived