Steering Head Bearing replace??

monkeyspanner

I am currently overhauling the bike ('02 non ABS) and have just finished fitting new Hyperpro springs to the front, new internals and fresh oil. However, i am just wondering as i am going to replace the steering head bearings if i should simply replace with OEM kit or maybe there is a better out there?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ive got 100,000 miles on original bearings, its all in the set up and lubrication when knew, they get loose right off the floor, people hose their bike, they dry out and many fail by 30,000 miles. Tapered are much stouter than ball bearings, but (aftermarket )they arent exactly a direct fit, so requires alittle more effort from some who have installed.

If mine ever go, Im not sure whether I'll go the aftermarket ball, or just stick to OEM.

Installed tapered All Balls on few of my bikes, complete kit comes with 2 seals and 2 bearings, it was dirt cheap but I suggest you buy it direct of from the dealer as there are plenty of knock offs on fleaBay. I buy mine direct (got dealer account) but discount is not that big due to low volume, like I said they are damn cheap!

Fella I know had front wheel bearings disintegrate after couple thousand miles, they were all balls but on closer inception may have been counterfeit and he got them on eBay.

One small issue is the lower dust seal, it rubs on the bearing cage and has to be modified or steering may be a bit heavy, I cut part of the inner lip off, it all makes sense once you put it together in your hands, that part of the seal does nothing.

All Balls are made in China and I don't have any long term experience with them, had them on my Duc, now 1000R, Hawk and I think NSR but combined mileage I put on all those bikes is under 6K.

Thanks guys, the bike will be in pieces from next week. Fork overhaul needed and new front fairing bracket to be fitted(bent badly after parking lot incident). Taking the opportunity to do some essential maintenance on the head bearing.

So V8C and TTC, thanks for the extra info, will start an new schedule for steering head maintenance.

Archived