Something you should see...

vfrflanders

I would have a serious word with him if he'd crawl up my ass that way. (Timmy you are ok, you only stuffed me once... :laugh2: )

I said I was sorry, like 37 times !

Whether you think this video is okay or not depends on your own skills. We don't see objective reality, it is filtered through our mind first which assigns it a rating, i.e. Good, or bad. If you think it's unsafe, then it is for you.

As Shakespeare said, There is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so.

I also remember a line from a book, "Sex is like any hunger, once it's satisfied, it ceases to have much importance." Or words to that effect anyway.

If roads had no speed limits, I believe that we would become more relaxed about the whole issue - then we could really have an impact on safety. Whether we realise it or not, speed propagandists are often nutters who can't drive to save themselves, so they try to drag everyone else down to their level. And governments are often more than happy to listen to them because they simply want to reduce expenses. Better for everyone to take public transport or cycle than to try and keep road infrastructure up to scratch.

Every once in a while, it's refreshing to read a literary post on these forums.

I agree with most of what you've said. Most of us have done some thing similar at one time or another. I know I have. Few, if any, buys a VFR1200 (or any powerful open class motorcycle for that matter) intending strictly on following the letter of the law. Point wasn't whether or not the riding itself is worthy of scorn, it is the act of posting the footage that I call in the question. Some degree of boasting as motive is undeniable. That's what I find troubling.

• Member Contributer

Watching a video is a very different experience then piloting the vehicle. You have a third party view of the events. I am sure if a cam was placed on our heads at times a viewer would/could find a reason to say "what the hell were you thinking" while in our minds, and skill levels, the event was second nature and well within our safety zone. All I am saying is, keep the windows clean on your glass house before you pick up a rock.

Another point that may piss a couple off. If everyone is getting GoPro's and alike, what are you filming? A 40mph stroll through your favorite state park? A 55mph ride down the highway? Usually you are filming something that would be considered interesting to watch. Like a "brisk" ride through your local favorite turns. Cameras running, what you got, mentality. Are you not "showing off" in some way by filming yourself?

There are multiple sides to watching a riding video. I just wanted to add a little fuel to the comments.

• Member Contributer

Agree the antics at beginning were far more dangerous than the top speed run. Riding like that, that fast, that close, is loserville and I wouldn't ride with the guy. Way too close for me, even at 60 MPH it's too close.

There are about 2 sections on my normal route in the country that I can safely punch it up to 120-140. But there are no houses on either side of the country road, no sidewalks, no lights, trees, nothing, visibility is clear for at least 3/4 mile and I know the area like the back of my hand. And it isn't sustained speed either, just rowing the gears until you hit 120-130 and then full roll off, knees out to use the wind to knock the speed immediately back down to sanity. It's a quick trip but I won't lie and say I don't do it ever.

Never should one person's poor choice limited my personal freedom. I may never ride crazy (I'm too boring) but don't want to see anyone's choice for a 200 MPH bike limited. There are plenty of tracks available where people can enjoy speed "safely" or at least at a risk level they are willing to take.

That being said, I puckered my cheeks so much I could taste my undies watching that video. Yikes, way more risk than I'm comfortable with.

• Member Contributer

Am I missing something, or did this thread take a 1 yr. break betwixt repsonses :biggrin: ...

ACE

I can't type worth a sh*t ... responses d*mnit :rolleyes: ...

Another point that may piss a couple off. If everyone is getting GoPro's and alike, what are you filming? A 40mph stroll through your favorite state park? A 55mph ride down the highway? Usually you are filming something that would be considered interesting to watch. Like a "brisk" ride through your local favorite turns. Cameras running, what you got, mentality. Are you not "showing off" in some way by filming yourself?

Good point. I have other motives but to have something that's interesting to watch is the general idea. I don't mean stunts or anything silly but testing various positions of the camera on the bike and helmet produces boring footage like this clip. And it has been edited to take out the most boring passages!

Don't feel bad if you fall asleep, I understand. :wink:

http://vimeo.com/74102024

• Member Contributer

I will tell you why I enjoy your video. I have not been to Belgium in 10 years or so. Nice to have a look around. I do still enjoy watching a scenic, nice ride out. BTW, I like the camera view.

That's me avoiding any speeding tickets. You'll notice after a while, I get fed up and know there isn't any chance of getting caught. Only human! :goofy:

I have others but they're 'private'. Also tests but a little (that's an understatement) more speed.

Note the metallic sound and the failure to capture the sound from the Remus as it really is. That metallic sound is in every video and I not only never hear it on board the VFR12 but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

Here's the camera:

post-28387-0-71623600-1384637187.jpg

And here's another vid on a loaner Capo 1200. I'm extremely well-behaved on that as you'll notice. I only made it to put on my Aprilia dealer's FB page. Just wrapped some electrical tape around the handlebars and fitted the camera in minutes and that was that. Note the exhaust sound btw, completely stock. The bike was full option with ADD.

Both vids were done in summer and on a Wednesday morning so that's why it's so quiet on the roads in the city.

http://vimeo.com/75092313#t=0s

Oh and glad you like Belgium or sound as if you do. We don't have much to offer except great beer and chocolate and apparently great hospitality. At least in this house.

If God runs heaven and Satan runs hell, you're one of his mates! So chances are there will be no speed limits or police and great roads and you can't get hurt. So looking good!

• Member Contributer

If God runs heaven and Satan runs hell, you're one of his mates! So chances are there will be no speed limits or police and great roads and you can't get hurt. So looking good!

Amen and this time of the year it called the "DRAGON" ....

Archived