Here's your sign...

Guest advcyclist

Guest advcyclist

Asked of me this morning while waiting in line at the convenience store:

-"Hey, is that your VFR outside?

Me: yes it is...

-"Does it still have the V4 engine?"

Me: puzzled look... um, yeah, always has...

-"Cool, I have an 800 at home."

Me: (bites tongue, shakes head in disbelief, rolls eyes) yup, late for work, gotta run... :dry:

I always get asked by gas jockeys while I'm filling up:

"Izzat a Cee Bee Arr six hunnert? I wanna get one o those."

Just because CBR600 is the only bike model they know of, besides "a harley", and they want to be all sqidly like the stuntaz.

• Member Contributer

*shrugs* I was ignorant like that once too. Didn't know the difference between a V4 and an I4 until I owned the VFR. All sport bikes looked the same to me as did all cruisers and I stereotyped their drivers accordingly. In the 8 years I have been riding I have learned a lot. Thankfully I can add tolerance to that list. :wink:

*shrugs* I was ignorant like that once too. Didn't know the difference between a V4 and an I4 until I owned the VFR. All sport bikes looked the same to me as did all cruisers and I stereotyped their drivers accordingly. In the 8 years I have been riding I have learned a lot. Thankfully I can add tolerance to that list. :wink:

Right, but this guy was referring to his 800 VFR he has at home... c'mon.

Right, but this guy was referring to his 800 VFR he has at home... c'mon.

Should have given him our forum address........

• Member Contributer

Maybe he hasn't investigated the VFR realm enough to know the difference between a 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th generations? Just saying....

yeah... but the name alone says it all

V =vee

F = four

R =road

• Member Contributer

Sounds like he was innocently asking if your '93 was also V4 like his later model 800. Maybe he likes to ride and doesn't like to read? From your description, he sounded pleasant enough and even said "cool". Personally, I like all friendly people. I don't care if they are ignorant so long as they are nice. I'll take a friendly ignorant guy any day over a hatin' inattentive texting cager! Just saying...

Guess it's just wrong to infer that anyone who rides a VFR would know that they have always been a V4. Perhaps it was my lack of coffee and time that made me impatient with the comment... I'm all for discussion of anything with two wheels, but this one just struck me the wrong way.

• Member Contributer

You are not far from me. It would be fun to get a group of NC VFR riders together for a ride. You should find that ignorant VFR800 guy again. He can probably outride both of us. LOL.

My schedule will not be free until October. I'm racing every weekend this month and possibly the first weekend of Oct, but I'm up for a ride after that.

• Member Contributer

According to Honda, officially, VFR stands for "VEE FOUR RACING". No joke.

According to which source at Honda?

Ciao,

yep..

thats before the vfr went "touring" and the RVF started racing.

Interesting. So, a CBR would then stand for...?

• Member Contributer

i had a guy ask me if it was a ducati once. i guess he didnt reconise the honda wing emblem on the gas tank?

I get the "what BMW is that?!" a lot....

:huh:

yep..

thats before the vfr went "touring" and the RVF started racing.

Interesting. So, a CBR would then stand for...?

CBR = Competition Bred Racing

VFR = Vee Four Racing

RVF = Racing Vee Four

RS = Racing Special

RVF was used as a racing designation BEFORE the VFR name, but not before the VF name. Honda had used the RS designation on it's first 1000cc, 850cc, and 750cc V4's. They changed the name when they designed the factory RVF Formula 1 bike in 1985, which was vastly different than the previously used RS'. It was used for Formula 1 competition in Europe and Japan, pretty much exclusively by the factory teams. They won 1st and 2nd at the 1985 Suzuka 8 hours. Joey Dunlop enjoyed some success on it as well. The '85 RVF 750 was a direct predecessor to the VFR750R (RC30) which began racing in 1986. That's why the RC30 was/is so much money. It was basically an RVF F1 bike with some small changes that suited private teams. When the RVF factory bikes grew to become more and more similar to the RC30's, Honda decided to keep the RVF name to distance the factory efforts from the private entries. They did this until the release of the RVF750R (RC45) in 1994.

1985_RVF750.jpg

Archived