Just had a lowside

ZesPak

... and the engine cover looks fricked :(

I'm quite gutted, I was doing about 50kph, and it was a pretty tight corner, I take it everyday without thinking about it. Wasn't really "giving" it at all either.

Must have been really slippery to lowside that easy. I was up before the bike stopped, some 10m further. No traffic behind when it happened, picked up the bike and off I went.

Anyway, the engine cover is quite heavily scuffed now, crash bungs took most of the slide though (those things are worth about 10x what they ask for them :)).

I've got "bike design" crash bungs, anybody knows where I could get some? Oh and as for the engine cover, anybody had his replaced? Any indication on price? Otherwise I would look at that carbon cover that they make, anybody got a link?

Well... the bike was as good as new, that's gone now. Maybe I should just have it fixed. Glad to walk away with litteraly nothing, not even a scratch. Helmet is fine as well, didn't hit the street. Was wearing full leathers and they don't even have a scuff on them.

• Member Contributer

Glad you are ok. Are you curious as to what made you lose traction? Was it the rear? Sand, gravel, mud, paint, oil?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hey, good question, I thought it was just slippery road (weird as it's been quite warm and dry), some oil. When I look at it on streetview however:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZNjkb

(that's the corner)

Must have gone off right on the bicycle crossing. In the dry. At 50kph :(.

It was probably the rear, as the bike slid with the saddle towards me, rear wheel hit the lane seperation you see there quite gently and the bike came to a stop on the same lane.

Good to hear the damge was very minimal to the bike and none on you. It's always a bummer to crash or drop one's bike, especially when it's so new, but you can always note in your case that it could have been worse.

Must be diesel oil/fuel on the road that might have caused you to lowside on that "innocent" looking turn you always took with no problems. Diesel vehicles now almost, if not, outnumber gasoline fueled vehicles these days in Europe, so there's a possibility that there's more diesel on the road sufaces these days too.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

also glad you are OK. I wonder of the rear let loose on that crosswalk? I commute the same route daily and often wonder if I take some of those familair turns for granted. Thanks for posting and reminding me to "snap to".

Glad you are ok.

Replacing engine cover (see this topic #6). Not a difficult job. Removing the cover was the hardest part (avoiding to do any damage).

http://www.vfrdiscus...ver#entry834354

Buy your parts in the UK or USA (cheaper - even with transport, VAT etc)

Bike Design is a Belgian Company (like Dam exhausts). Just Google them.

Hulp nodig? Mail me...

Thanks, already mailed to bike design for the part number of the rubber.

I'll post a picture of the damage later.

As for the engine cover, also found this:

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/Engine_Case_Covers/Honda/VFR1200/KEC0034BK.aspx

I think it looks great, a part from the white text on the cover maybe.

Anybody got it? And does it fit in combination with the bike design crash bungs? (not a lot of room to spare, maybe 1cm)

http://www.rg-racing.../KEC0034BK.aspx

It seems to be plastic. Is it strong enough as the original seems to be some kind of metal?

Sorry for your lowside. I like the replacement cover your looking at.

To be clear, it's not a replacement, it's an "engine cover cover". I've ordered this already, even if I get a brand new engine cover, this should protect it in a low speed slide

• Member Contributer

Geez, Zes!

Glad you're okay...

Sorry to hear about this, always a downer to dump a bike. Fortunately, sounds like the damage (to yourself and the bike) is minimal. Let me know what you think about those RG covers when you get them... I've been looking at them myself.

Nothing is more frustrating than a damaged bike (in this case a brand new 2012 VFR 1200 + 15000¤ bike)

But it's an experience we all had, if you drive a lot...

The engine case cover (and alternator cover on the left) is one of the most damaged parts on the VFR 1200 (even with crash pads on them). I never saw this part on sale second hand undamaged. Total loss VFR's are sold with the complete engine, not in engine parts...

The part number is 11330-MGE-010 and I bought this in the USA for less than $200. Don't forget to buy the O ring, and a new cap (if this one is damaged too).

Some basic tools, some sealant and a torque wrench is all you need to take your frustration away. You don't need to be a mechanic to do this job....

http://www.rg-racing.../KEC0034BK.aspx

I think it looks great, a part from the white text on the cover maybe.

Anybody got it? And does it fit in combination with the bike design crash bungs? (not a lot of room to spare, maybe 1cm)

Zes,

I have the R&G covers. They look good, and I can recommend them. You're right about the material, and the fact that they simply cover the engine area(s), but that is the whole point, I guess.

Frankly, I like the looks of the black versus the "very hard to find oem paint color match" option of touching them up. I was not really liking the white logo lettering on the covers, but it doesn't even cross my mind, now. I am uncertain if the logo can be removed, but it appears it might be adhered to the cover with some kind of adhesive.

I dropped my bike several months ago, while stopping in a gas station. Oil, fuel, and God know what else on the pavement, and it went right before I could do a damned thing. I agonized for days over it, and was most definately pissed off, as I'm sure you were (or maybe still are)

Similar incidents on this board and a few others convinced me that it wasn't "just me", and that I needed to shrug it off, learn a little from it, and get back to riding.

Right side engine cover is still scratched, but it's hidden (and protected) by a good looking alternative. I did the left side mainly to match for looks. I'm happy.

I ordered them for the same reason.

I was pissed off yesterday but got over it, overall it'll cost me about € 200 so that's not a lot for a lesson learned.

I mailed R&G, they were extremely helpful and fast in their responses. They say the lettering is easily removed as it's a sticker...

I ordered them for the same reason.

I was pissed off yesterday but got over it, overall it'll cost me about € 200 so that's not a lot for a lesson learned.

I mailed R&G, they were extremely helpful and fast in their responses. They say the lettering is easily removed as it's a sticker...

Good to know information on the lettering. I may give it a go with a heat gun or hairdryer and see how it looks cleaned up. Thought I'd do the same with the sticker on my Leo Vince exhaust, but I've left it, too. It kind of grows on you, I suppose.

Glad you are ok.

Replacing engine cover (see this topic #6). Not a difficult job. Removing the cover was the hardest part (avoiding to do any damage).

http://www.vfrdiscus...ver#entry834354

Buy your parts in the UK or USA (cheaper - even with transport, VAT etc)

Bike Design is a Belgian Company (like Dam exhausts). Just Google them.

Hulp nodig? Mail me...

Well, a couple of things: I really don't have any workspace and doing anything else than replacing a battery is out of my skill set. On top of that my stuff requires invoices and that's not always as easy with overseas things.

In short, I'm not too comfortable to start screwing the engine cover off, draining the oil and all on my brand new 16k bike :/. For now I think I'm just going with the R&G Racing engine cover to cover up the damage, maybe replace it later.

Thanks for the info though, very helpful as usual!

Archived