howdy! been lurking...

Guest thork86

Guest thork86

Just introducing myself here. Same old story I guess... coming from the Cruiser world (Harleys are my only prior rides; superglide and a fat boy), I just picked up a brand new 2010 VFR1200 with the DCT (for a steal of a deal... nearly half off MSRP) and zero miles on the clock. HD be damned! My brand new Fat Boy finally irritated me to the point of trading it in, so I went straight to Honda (I've had no problems whatsoever with any Honda cars I've owned) where I knew reliability rules and picked up this bike.

The test drive sold me. DCT is a love it/hate it thing, just so happens I loved it. I'm in my 20s still and I think it's great (I shift enough with my car!). As for the power lag in 1st/2nd, well, I bought the bike knowing it's not a supersport and knowing the DCT would hold it back some.

But I can see where people would complain in certain situations (thrashing it around on the backroads, or racing a supersport in a straight line) that the DCT and the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions would be obnoxious... I still think the bike is overwhelmingly quick, looks fantastic, and is an overall joy to ride.

And it's a Honda! (5yr warranty will keep my mind/wallet at ease on the DCT, though I have complete faith in Honda engineering...)

Truth be told, those Statelines were looking awfully tempting too! But was time for what I really wanted, a sportier bike.

Anyways, just saying "hey", and I am completely through with drinking my daily dose of HD Kool-Aid and glad to be consuming the pure h2o from Honda's lagoon of sanctity! :tour:

post-25417-0-40059000-1341234731.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :tour:

Welcome!

Oh and coming from HD, you probably won't complain about fuel consumption and range?

Thanks!

Funny you should mention that.... I hit the red-zone of Empty at about 125 miles and the digital readout started blinking at me so I filled up. Once it starts blinking, is it telling me I've got about a gallon left? On the old hog, I usually hit about 150-175 before I had to start hunting for fuel.

I could care less though, I mean, the overall smoothness, greater performance, and tighter mechanical feeling on this bike is just light-years ahead of the HD's. But then, they're completely different motorcycles.

I don't understand some of the posts that complain about the 1st-2nd gear "handicap" on these new VFR's. I guess since I never rode any earlier models I might not understand the difference in performance, and I can understand that it is seen as a disadvantage/safety issue to have the power come on "all of a sudden" in 1-2... but there was one post where I guy said that his buddies on their HD's were much faster... In normal D-mode I will absolutely fly past my friend on his late-model Softail with the new 103ci motor. Granted, it takes me a few seconds before the power spools up but then it's bye-bye Harley!

Welcome the forum. I can directly relate to your HD experience, and I don't think I'd ever go back. Glad I tried it, albeit for a very short time (about 3 years, with very few miles) In a word, boring. The HD image is not going to suffer from the loss of a few of us, so no worries there.

If anybody gives you sh*t about "American made" simply ask them where the parts for their bike are made (or their pirate gear, for that matter...) and that should be enough to end the conversation.Foreign car manufacturers employ more Americans than HD, so that's another thing to add to the stack.

If they just insist on only buying American, just tell them that life's going to suck without a mobile phone, television, microwave, computer, etc. All foreign made. You get the drift.I wish there were an American company that would engineer and produce a quality sportsbike, but there’s not. (not anymore…)

The HD V-Rod had me interested, at first, but they screwed that up too, eventually. Odd that the engine had to be designed Porsche. That tells me all I need to know, right there.If they want to buy their bike "American Assembled", I'm cool with that. The product is inferior, imho. I think you might agree, based on your comments.

The feeling of truly riding a motorcycle, as opposed to just sitting back and puttering along, sounding loud, and looking "bad-ass", is well worth the switch.Funny thing is, I've only had Japanese bikes up to the point of buying my HD, and thought I was stepping up. I was wrong.

Happy riding!

Welcome!

Oh and coming from HD, you probably won't complain about fuel consumption and range?

Thanks!

Funny you should mention that.... I hit the red-zone of Empty at about 125 miles and the digital readout started blinking at me so I filled up. Once it starts blinking, is it telling me I've got about a gallon left? On the old hog, I usually hit about 150-175 before I had to start hunting for fuel.

I could care less though, I mean, the overall smoothness, greater performance, and tighter mechanical feeling on this bike is just light-years ahead of the HD's. But then, they're completely different motorcycles.

I don't understand some of the posts that complain about the 1st-2nd gear "handicap" on these new VFR's. I guess since I never rode any earlier models I might not understand the difference in performance, and I can understand that it is seen as a disadvantage/safety issue to have the power come on "all of a sudden" in 1-2... but there was one post where I guy said that his buddies on their HD's were much faster... In normal D-mode I will absolutely fly past my friend on his late-model Softail with the new 103ci motor. Granted, it takes me a few seconds before the power spools up but then it's bye-bye Harley!

Sounds like you're still in the breakin period. The mileage will get better after about 1000 miles. I have the DCT too and mine starts blinking about 160-170 now. Granted that is with a lot of highway miles but blinking around 150 is pretty normal for around town riding for me. You should also notice that you have probably a little over a gallon left in the tank if you fill right after it starts blinking. I don't really worry about it anymore and when it starts blinking I just eventually stop at a gas station when it's convenient.

Welcome the forum. I can directly relate to your HD experience, and I don't think I'd ever go back. Glad I tried it, albeit for a very short time (about 3 years, with very few miles) In a word, boring. The HD image is not going to suffer from the loss of a few of us, so no worries there.

If anybody gives you sh*t about "American made" simply ask them where the parts for their bike are made (or their pirate gear, for that matter...) and that should be enough to end the conversation.Foreign car manufacturers employ more Americans than HD, so that's another thing to add to the stack.

If they just insist on only buying American, just tell them that life's going to suck without a mobile phone, television, microwave, computer, etc. All foreign made. You get the drift.I wish there were an American company that would engineer and produce a quality sportsbike, but there’s not. (not anymore…)

The HD V-Rod had me interested, at first, but they screwed that up too, eventually. Odd that the engine had to be designed Porsche. That tells me all I need to know, right there.If they want to buy their bike "American Assembled", I'm cool with that. The product is inferior, imho. I think you might agree, based on your comments.

The feeling of truly riding a motorcycle, as opposed to just sitting back and puttering along, sounding loud, and looking "bad-ass", is well worth the switch.Funny thing is, I've only had Japanese bikes up to the point of buying my HD, and thought I was stepping up. I was wrong.

Happy riding!

As to the lack of a quality American engineered/made sportbike, if you haven't checked out Motus motorcycles from Alabama you should. Awesome, but expensive.

hello to you. I have owned a few Harley Davidson motorbikes as well. Just different is all. The important thing is to enjoy yourself whilst riding, and it seems that is the case. so go ride and have some fun.

Happy riding!

I concur with everything said. I tend to type essay-length replies as it is so you hit the nail on the head without me elaborating any further!

Especially on the riding a motorcycle, not just puttering along.

I could care less what others think about my bike and what it may say about me.

I never went to any Harley rallies, meets, group rides, etc. I just loved the way they looked and the whole nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses feeling when you rode around on them.

But that only gets you so far. Like I said, there were WAY too many issues on a brand new 17,000 dollar bike. Enough was enough! Just wish I would have listened to my old man 3 years ago when I got my first bike, a Harley... "Hey son, why not go to Honda Powersports, they have some nice bikes and they're Honda so, you know, they won't break like a Harley will."

Thanks, Dad. Haha!

yeah, I have also heard that following the break-in period, our bikes will open up more, even adapting to our riding style? I've done my due dilligence to keep the RPMs lower, but it seems like the bike has already elarned, even in D-mode, to hold 3rd and 4th gear longer. Strange!

Still haven't given her wide-open-throttle yet. I'm dying to do it, but I can wait for 600miles (when they recommended I bring her in for first check-up).

175miles and counting! Bought her on Friday evening and was hoping to crack 600 before the weekend was up, but the damn storm this weekend rained on my parade (literally).

You're all making me feel welcome here in knowing I'm not the only convert from cruising to riding a motorcycle, thanks!

• Member Contributer

Congrats on getting a VFR welcome to this forum. I never tried a HD but I would love to do so just to see what the big fuzz is all about. In any case, I hope you like the 2012 for many years to come. Ride safe!

C

• Member Contributer

quote: consuming the pure h2o from Honda's lagoon of sanctity!

Very well said!

Welcome.

I remember when I bought a brand new Superlide in 1993. My brother asked how it was and I said it handled almost as good as a KZ1000, but slower. He said "then why didnt you buy a KZ1000?"

I sold it, made a profit, and bought a 72 Triumph, an FJ1200.......and a KZ1000.

Welcome! I hope you love your bike at least half as much as I love mine (that will make you very happy). I currently own 4 Honda's (VFR, 2 CRF's, Odyssey) and this is my 4th VFR and about 20th bike (over half Honda's). Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

Mark

Congrats on getting a VFR welcome to this forum. I never tried a HD but I would love to do so just to see what the big fuzz is all about. In any case, I hope you like the 2012 for many years to come. Ride safe!

C

Thanks! It's a 2010 though :sad:

And thanks one and all for contributing the Harley convert stories, makes me feel at home!

Now time to get a fullface helmet, my Shoei RJ is great but once I get to, ermmm, "spirited" riding speeds she gets a bit of turbulence... even if I assume the monkey humping a football position! :tour:

• Member Contributer

Welcome Thork! Glad to see another convert. I too, owned a Harley once. After riding a buddies metric cruiser, I sold it. Finally I've discovered the wonders of a bike that handles well!

Good to have you aboard!

• Member Contributer

As to the lack of a quality American engineered/made sportbike, if you haven't checked out Motus motorcycles from Alabama you should. Awesome, but expensive.

Very true... looks like if they can survive the next 5 years we may have a legit, stateside contender.

Will be interesting to see what Eric Buell brings out over the next few years too...

2011-04-29_15-49-11_141.jpg

Be prepared for lot's of questions about your choice of ride now when I left the harley ranks I got hit with everything they could think of in the way of trying to have me committed. :) It's fun being just a little different now and then. Good luck, safe ridding.

My Dad started riding again in 2001 on a Sporster Custom (after a 38 year break). Then he bought a 2003 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Next moved on in 2009 to a BMW K1200LT. Loved the change. Last September he bought a new Honda Goldwing with all the farkles. He's 71 and loves this bike more than any of the other bikes he's had (BMW is close). I never understood the Harley mistique (although I've enjoyed renting them and an occassional spin on my Dad's bikes). My 8 year old son noticed that most the guys that ride without helmets are on Harley's. He asked me why. I don't know. Harley thing, I guess.

Ride safe.

PS. I had a 2003 Buell XB9s lightning that I absolutely loved. I always saw it as a sportbike though. Wish I still had it as a track bike. It was a riot on the track! That "lump" on an engine was a big part of why I loved it so much. Cool bike. :sad:

Thanks guys!

Once again, I never really had any Harley rider friends, I didn't go out to meets/group rides/hang out at the dealership.

I just rode it.

Roomate got a Harley shortly after I did, now he is looking at VFR's too haha

All my friends think the VFR is much nicer... except the roomate who still has the Harley.

It's all good!

The Harley thing is a mystery to me, really. Hell, even my Harley was a bit "shunned" by the HD crowd. I bought an 08 Fat Bob for two reasons. I like the way it looked, and it didn't look like your "traditional" Harley.

It still isn't too popular with the HD crowd, but a new owner can hang all sorts of HD bullsh*t on it to make it look more Harley-ish.

Same thing could be said for the V-Rod, a bike I thought had a cool look, and a lot of potential, especially in the Street Rod inception of '06-'07, I believe. They had to kill it off, as it was shunned by the "purists". God, I had to get out of there...!

Actually, I was never really "into" it. Like you, I never attended a rally, group ride, or anything of that nature. Matter of fact, I'd get weird looks in my CyclePort gear with my full-face helmet on that bike. I only figured it out one day while riding. I was out enjoying my day riding the FDFX, and was (slowly) passed by a guy on a sportsbike. I was enjoying myself simply because it was nice and I was riding a motorcycle. Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I was enjoying my ride, but that other rider was having FUN!

I traded the HD in for the V12 the next day. No kidding.

Never say never, so one day I might own that low mileage '07 V-Rod Street Rod. I'm going to have to pass on a lot of nice Japanese, Italian and German bikes first, however! Fat chance...

Great minds think alike! :tour:

I loved the Fat Bob look too, and the V-Rod. But yeah, having experienced the non-HD world now, it'll take a lot to get me back on one. Never saying never, of course :rolleyes:

Archived