Front Wheel Bearing Failure - Could Have Been Bad

• Member Contributer

I took off to work Friday morning on the VFR headed for downtown Atlanta which is about a 30 mile ride for me. I got about 15 miles from my house and stopped at a traffic light. I took off and heard a noise but I couldn't tell where it came from as I was wearing earplugs and there were cars around me. I didn't know if it was me or not so I pulled over in a gas store. I didn't see anything and didn't know if I was imagining things or what, but something just didn't seem right. Not wanting to chance getting on the interstate in rush hour traffic not knowing if I had a problem or not, I chose to not risk it and turned around and headed back home to get my car.

I took the VFR out on Saturday to see if I could figure out if anything was wrong with my bike. I felt some vibration in the front but didn't think much of it since some roads are more noisy, etc. than others. If you've never known any different, it just seems normal right? Then it got worse and I looked down through the forks and could see my right side caliper shaking pretty good. I was a good ways out from my house by then (which looking back wasn't smart on my part) but I limped home about 25 mph and made it back to my garage.

Pulled my front wheel off and could tell something was up with the right side wheel bearing. Actually, about half the steel balls were missing. I hate to think of the wobble this condition could have put me in at a decent rate of speed when it let go. And to think I just did 1000+ miles going to TMAC. Could have been a bad outcome for sure.

DSC_0229_ac.jpg

Hey, shouldn't there be steel balls all the way around? And aren't they enclosed?

DSC_0235_ac.jpg

Everything just kind of fell out after that. I did have a very hard time getting the outer race removed as it was the only thing remaining after everything fell apart.

DSC_0238_ac.jpg

That's got to be a fluke ( a VERY bad fluke) or have you had the front wheel off recently-possibly misinstalled?

Not layin' blame -- just possibilities.

GL

Jeff

• Member Contributer

That's got to be a fluke ( a VERY bad fluke) or have you had the front wheel off recently-possibly misinstalled?

Not layin' blame -- just possibilities.

GL

Jeff

Not a fluke, just a 17 year old wheel bearing that finally crapped out. Not installed improperly either.

That is ugly! Glad you found it before it became catastrophic!

Well, I'd like to say I found it. But it really found me. Part of the reason I posted it was to give folks a heads up not to ignore these types of maintenance items especially on the older model VFRs.

Chuck

It's time!

I would also recommend disassembling the rear hub, taking all the bearings out, and cleaning/greasing them, if they are still in good shape.

And the steering bearings, and the shock bearings, etc.

• Member Contributer

Always check bearings for roughness when changing tires. Any hint of problems and they get replaced.

Just bought a 4th gen swingarm for my track bike project off eBay. The bearings are OK, but the factory grease was beginning to fail. Wouldn't have been much longer until something like this happened. 15 years is a pretty good run for grease IMHO.

• Member Contributer

Or as they say at Wimbledon: "new balls please".....

• Member Contributer

If the seals go, water gets in, and that's the end! I had this happen once. Noticed a strange "clunking" when I applied the front brakes, more than a vibration. My initial thought was "stem bearings", but it wasn't...

Ciao,

That seal in the first picture is done!

When I am wrenching on people's bikes, I always warn them.

I check the bearing, and if the seal is getting dry then I let them know.

I alway reinstal with marine grease. It just helps the spacers seal and prolongs the seal's life.

Also, sealed bearing will hold up better.

I am glad you are here to make this post. It could have been bad for you.

Good catch w/o incident! :ohmy:

At 94k miles plus I wonder about ALL the bearing on my bike! But I've run so many different front wheels that none of then have even half that mileage. The rear SSSA bearings haven't been touched at all. I do have a weird vibration that I've been trying to locate and thinking it's in the rear. Was planning to swap out the SSSA off my track vtec then pull mine apart to pull it apart and rebuild it.

BR

• Member Contributer

It's time!

I would also recommend disassembling the rear hub, taking all the bearings out, and cleaning/greasing them, if they are still in good shape.

Senor Carver de los Corner found some slight unsmoothness in his rear wheel turning at TXMac. At a specific spot in the rotation you can feel something as you spin the wheel with your hand. Going to let him take it apart and rebuild it before I try my own. 13 years old...

"New" front end and wheel on the VFR, had the wheel powder coated and installed brand new Honda bearings this year. So, they should be good for a while.

Archived